RandomThread II

Chat about various topics.

Re: RandomThread II

Postby MayheM on Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:34 pm

Saw this pic this morning and could not help but to think i want to see this made into a character...

MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Knights on Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:59 pm

:-D
Random gallery... Knights_Stuff.
Home page --> http://www.knights.interlopers.net/
Knights
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Plague on Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:05 pm

Faith in our future space endeavors: Restored
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/10 ... mars_trip/

Let's see how long it takes for this to get fucked up.
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby source-maps on Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:38 pm

30 days :o
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Spike on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:08 pm

Spike
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Major Banter on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:38 pm

It only takes one little entitled wankstain to make me rethink development as a hobby entirely.

Most likely you guys haven't heard, but there's a furore going on over at the KSP forums over a nugget of an opinion that it may get expansion packs in the future.

Every little arsewipe then comes out the woodwork, wanking themselves off and proclaiming this as some sort of vendetta against the user, and threatening to sue. I can't even comprehend this level of twatishness. It happened with Terraria, it happened with Dear Esther, now it's happening with one of my favourite games. This kind of toxic attitude is incomprehensible. Do these children even get finance? Do they understand the way the world works? Have they ever lifted a finger in a level editor, let alone chewing through code to create a custom engine?

I mean, Phillip of PlanetPhillip came out swinging against Steam's Early Access system and had the cheek to say developers should pay the user to use their alphas and betas - despite them being used as discounted access to a completed game. EA can pull day one DLC bullshit, but the average indie dev can't even chuck out an idea or earn an honest buck? What the hell has this industry come to?
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby MaK on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:04 pm

what are you even talking about

edit: seems like a bunch of whining teenagers who are upset for no reason. you're supposed to just ignore things like this and let it pass
MaK

Postby Jangalomph on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:14 pm

Put it in formal english and give some back story to what you're talking about. I'm so lost, its like a rant with no meaning :/
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby MaK on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:17 pm

He's talking about this. It's a waste of time even going over it though who cares.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1c0gzr/kerbal_space_program_a_game_which_was_using_the/---
MaK

Postby Jangalomph on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:31 pm

http://i.imgur.com/mWCha9N.png

spoiler alert.

IF you guys are fans of breaking bad that might give you a laugh, was on a youtube video.
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Major Banter on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:42 pm

MaK wrote:you're supposed to just ignore things like this and let it pass

This stuff has an impact and an effect. It's not just through the obvious developer/consumer relations, it's through their approach to the market, the impact on developers, the impact on statistics and expectations. It diminishes the value of genuine complaints and suggestions via a wave of rhetoric and kills critical thinking and discussion stone dead.

Will it affect Harvester's work on KSP? Of course not. Does it show a worrying trend where people with "their best interests in mind" are trying to wrest creative control from competent developers, and shitting all over their work while simultaneously playing it and enjoying it? Somewhat, yes. It shows a lack of foresight, a lack of perspective, a lack of understanding, and all of this stuff gets carried back to the developers because it's a vocal minority.

Christ, if the next generation of gamers will base their requirements off something that they haven't even thought about for five minutes in a critical way, what hope is there?

Edit; come on Janga, readddddd! "there's a furore going on over at the KSP forums over a nugget of an opinion that it may get expansion packs in the future."
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Major Banter on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:50 pm

But I digress. That's just rant, not a debate. Here are overweight cats with money.

ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby source-maps on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:51 pm

reading the head line at reddit

'Kerbal Space Program, a game which was using the distribution method popularized by Minecraft and promising alpha purchasers "all future updates for free" has now come out and stated it intends to release an expansion pack that it will charge alpha purchasers for. Do you consider this fair?'

well if this is true, don't say that sort of shit
I mean.. big or small developer.. don't do false advertising right?

Valve did that with l4d1 and even after they released l4d2 they continued saying they would keep on supporting l4d1.. which is now basically left for dead..

plans change, I get that
indy devs need money to feed their hungry babies.. I get that too

but it's not cool if developers turn in to politicians and say popular stuff so people will buy their shit

or is there more to this story than I'm willing to read?
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Major Banter on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:58 pm

source-maps wrote:well if this is true, don't say that sort of shit
I mean.. big or small developer.. don't do false advertising right?

[...]

or is there more to this story than I'm willing to read?

For the sake of clarity; the dev who actually mentioned this whole expansion thing slung it out as a general comment in a podcast. Expansions would be considerably large, almost whole new games in their own right of extreme complexity for the most advanced players. It definitely wasn't the wisest thing to say publically without clearly establishing it as an idea, and a PR department would've caught it pretty damn quick.

What concerns me is that rather than taking this as a suggestion or an idea to be tossed around, it was taken at face value as the business model that the KSP devs are now going to use. The community chose to jump to conclusions, dumped it on reddit and boom, shitstorm alert.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby source-maps on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:02 pm

ah oke, that makes a lot more sense :)
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion