The Interlopers Package V.2

Chat about various topics.

Re: The Interlopers Package V.2

Postby 1447 on Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:54 am

1447 wrote:Wall of text

It'd be nice if I could get some more opinions here, like I said, I don't really feel I have a say in the matter. I think cancelling this project before it dies is the best option, but I'm biased as hell, and I don't want to make a decision that the majority disagrees with. In any case, there's a lot that has to be done no matter which option we choose. I don't think I'll spend my last days before leaving for the military in front of my computer, and September 2nd through 11th I'll be in Barcelona, which leaves us with a little less than 20 days to either cancel or transfer the leadership onto someone else's shoulders. If we haven't done anything by then, this project is as good as dead, like I said there's no one else involved in the management of this. I think we should have decided by Sep. 2nd, that way I can go swimming in the Mediterranean without having to worry about this, and "tie up the loose ends" as they say, when I get home.

What do you guys think? Cancellation or transfer of leadership? If the latter, who do you think should be the new leader? Please discuss.
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Corigami on Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:30 am

I really want to try and finish this. It's been going really slow, but it has been going. If someone else is going to take over the project, you could just lend them the password to your account instead of trying to forward everything. I don't know if you'd be comfortable with that, but it would be so much easier than having to forward messages to a new account and have everyone start sending their new messages to that account. You would still be getting a lot of messages from people who didn't get the memo and those messages wouldn't get a reply.
Corigami
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby 1447 on Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:54 pm

Well, I won't give anyone my password. There's plenty of people here I trust, and I don't think anyone of them would steal or abuse my account, but I kinda like the idea of my account being just that, mine. I want to see this finished as much as you do, but we have to be realistic. Giving away my accounts aren't really a feasible solution. And saying it has "been going really slow, but it has been going" is somewhat incorrect. A snail does that, moves really slow, yet forward inch by inch. This project on the other hand, has been one week of hectic activity, two months of hiatus because the Package or the member in possession of the Package has disappeared. Then the hammer/member resurfaces, and then another week of activity, and then the Package disappeared again. Even with four hammers on the road simultaneously, we couldn't manage to keep it moving for more than a few weeks...
Veteran
Veteran

Postby KILLA-COW on Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:59 pm

Give me your account.
KILLA-COW
Veteran
Veteran

Postby DrFeelGood on Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:12 pm

I wish I coulda got in out this :/
DrFeelGood
Regular
Regular

Postby coder0xff on Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:04 am

Instead, I'll just take a picture of me and my hammer (penis) and post it here. Only problem is that my hammer will apparently be much larger than the one that everyone else has taken pics with.
coder0xff
Veteran
Veteran

Postby 1447 on Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:19 am

You're all very funny, and I'm confident your excellent humour will win you numerous awards, but let's try to discuss this matter seriously. Over 40 people are involved in this project, but only two have voiced their opinion. I'll be on a plane heading for Barcelona in less than 48 hours, and I want this resolved by then. Like I said earlier, there's a ton of things that have to be done no matter which option we choose, and after I get home from Barcelona, we'll only have two weeks before I leave for semi-forever. There's really not that much time left.

Also, another issue I might as well bring up: Pictures. Out of the 15-16 people who have or have had the hammer, only six have sent me their pictures. I have no pictures of the following people, who (correct me if I'm wrong) have had the Package:
  • MrTwoVideoCards
  • srredfire
  • Penney
  • The Hollow Night
  • ad_hominem
  • Blink
  • Major Banter
  • mjoeen
  • Dionysos
  • AlexCrafter
I think that's all of them. If you see your name on this list, send me your pictures via PM or email, ASAP.
Veteran
Veteran

Postby coder0xff on Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:27 am

I'm thinking fuck it all. Just drop it completely. Save yourself any additional hassle.
coder0xff
Veteran
Veteran

Postby MayheM on Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:36 am

I for one refuse to give up on this... I am however still waiting for the Hammer. If memory servers, I am next in line to get it...
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby RefaelBA on Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:16 pm

I'm with Mayhem. Sometimes it's hard to carry on, but it doesn't cost us anything to keep nagging people about this. It might by annoying, but we already have a few hammers running around the globe, and now all we need to do is push people to send the package onwards. As long as Gmail and this board are free to use, I see no reason to drop it...
RefaelBA

Postby stoopdapoop on Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:03 pm

I would also like to see it be carried on. I think we should transfer leadership, but I think it's really lame that after all the work 1447 has put into this, that he won't really be able to see it through to the end.

as far as new leaders go, I wouldn't mind taking over if nobody else volunteers. I've been here for a long time, I lurk everyday, and I don't really plan on going anywhere for a while.

But if I may nominate (I guess it's more like damnation than nomination) to lead this project, I'd say Mayhem would be a good choice :)
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby 1447 on Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:30 am

Well then, by popular demand, the project will be carried on under new leadership. I'm fine with Stoopdapoop as the new leader, and since no one else has volunteered, I guess he will be the one cursing himself for wanting this job for the next three years.

I'm going to bed now, and I leave for the airport rather early, so if Barcelona turns out to be without internet access, this will be my last post until the 11th, that's ten days from now. In the meantime, I've found a few problems you guys can discuss while I'm gone. This needs to be sorted out before leadership can be transferred:
1) This thread. At 47 pages, over 700 posts, and 58 first-post-edits, it would definitely suck if the new man in charge has to start a new one. I don't know how we're going to allow Stoop to continue this though, and as I've said before, giving away my account isn't an option. Maybe Blink/zombie can work something out.
2) The Google Map. Essentially the same problem as above, except it can be solved by Stoop making a new one. Time consuming and boring, but it's the only way, as my Google account too will remain mine.
3) Addresses and such. As I've said before, I have some 180 PM's from you guys all regarding the Package; I don't know what's easier, forwarding everything to Stoop, or have him PM everyone all over again. The last one certainly has three major advantages: People will know there's been a change in leadership, nothing will get screwed up because someone changed address and forgot to notify me, and we'll find out once and for all who's too inactive to be a part of this.

That's all I can think of at the moment. If someone else really wants to take over this project (what's wrong with you?), PM Stoop and sort it out with him. If you guys have found a new leader, Stoop or someone else, and solved the problems posted above when I get back, you can consider the leadership transferred.

@New leader: But as I've said before, cancellation > death. Look at the last 40 pages and determine if this is really something you want. I've worked too hard for this to let it die just because you thought you could manage it, before you found out you couldn't. Trust me, it can be really demotivating having to PM someone fifty times without getting an answer. If you know this is something you can handle, I won't stop you, but you need to know it, not think it.
Veteran
Veteran

Postby 1447 on Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:57 am

Seriously?

That's not how it works. You can't tell me you want to continue this, and then leave it to me to sort everything out, especially not when I say I'll be in another country without internet for 10 days. I'm leaving for the military in less than two weeks, I posted the above problems before I went to Barcelona because I expected you guys to at least try and solve them. Unless there's been some major discussion going on via PM or Steam, you haven't even offered this project a thought in my absence. Wishing no offence to anyone, but that's hardly leadership skills. If you guys want this project to survive my departure, you'll have to put some work into it, I won't, nor can't, do it all by myself.

I'm tired now after a long day of taxis, buses, planes, cars and ferries (and the depression of going from sunny 30 C in Barça to rainy 10 C in Norwhere :( ), so I'll make this ultimatum as simple as possible: If no one's interested in actually helping with the transfer of leadership, then no leadership will be transferred at all, and the project will be cancelled. It may sound harsh, but we're really running out of time here, and the interest in securing the survival of this project has been lukewarm at best, so I don't really know what else to do...
Veteran
Veteran

Postby RefaelBA on Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:34 am

Tbh, I don't know if we can make it anymore. I mean the community is in a bad shape right now anyway. Members dropping left and right and even those that stay barely post anything. So this project, can it work? I don't know... I'm kind of sad about this. I really hoped people would get psyched about this...
RefaelBA

Postby 1447 on Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:57 pm

RefaelBA wrote:Tbh, I don't know if we can make it anymore. I mean the community is in a bad shape right now anyway. Members dropping left and right and even those that stay barely post anything. So this project, can it work? I don't know... I'm kind of sad about this. I really hoped people would get psyched about this...

My thougts exactly. It's sad indeed. I think people kinda lost interest when the Package spent six months travelling from Hong Kong to California, and let's face it, things haven't exactly sped up since... I think we should cancel it now, maybe we can learn something from this so that an eventual Interlopers Package V.3 won't suffer the same problems.

In other news: Before I went on vacation, I posted a reminder to the 10 people who haven't sent me their pictures yet. When I got home, Blink was to only one who had sent me his, which leaves us with nine members whose pictures I don't have:
  • MrTwoVideoCards
  • srredfire
  • Penney
  • The Hollow Night
  • ad_hominem
  • Major Banter
  • mjoeen
  • Dionysos
  • AlexCrafter
I'll PM them later today and remind them once again. Remember that if (or should I say "when"?) we cancel this, I'll still post all the pictures we have, so there's really no reason not to send me yours.
Veteran
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion