GM_GhostHunt 2 Exclusive Interview

Chat about various topics.

GM_GhostHunt 2 Exclusive Interview

Postby Exclusive_Ghost on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:40 pm

This is the first ever, and Exclusive Interview with the creator of Gm_Ghosthunt and eagerly awaited Ghost hunt 2. You may know him as BreadMan From his Facepunch post, Kanly on Garrysmord.org and Xjrlol on Youtube...But I can assure you its the same genius behind all three names :) So lets jump straight into what went down in this debut interview...

Interviewer: So lets start of with Your Names, why so many and what should everyone call you?

(Breadman):It's kinda funny really. Xjrlol was my very first youtube name. Wasn't very serious about that at all. I use that account for all kinds of crap. Kalny is my main net name I use that the most. When I tried to apply on facepunch apparently I'd already got an account under the name of Breadman. Weird I know, don't even remember making it. Anyhow I couldn't sign up as kalny so it just stuck.

Interviewer: Lol so for purpose of today what should the world call you.

Breadman: It seems the players have already decided. I shall be known as Breadman.

Interviewer:All bow down to the mighty Breadman *bows*

Breadman:I'm really not that special >_>

Interviewer: Gm_ghosthunt what a map, the first time i played it I surley wasn't expecting the kinda Sh*it storm that followed that evening i can tell you.

Breadman:Nor did I really. Through testing I got used to everything, but after randomizing it all the map began to scare me too. Thats when I knew I was onto something.

Interviewer:Tell us where it all began then, did u just wake up one morning after watching excosist and think "thou must make a map" ?

Breadman:It started at work actually. I've always 'believed'. Done some IRL vigils and actually caught some real EVPS myself. That really helped. One day at work I just thought, what if I could put all of those feelings into an environment people could explore. I kinda wanted to share it. I got home and mapped that evening until about 2 am. I've never been that optimistic about a map before.

Interviewer: for the parnormally exempt people of this world..expain to them what an Evp is.

Breadman: EVP stands for Electronic voice phenomena. It's the art of capturing the voices of the dead on cassette tapes or other methods of recording. I've visited many churches and captured some pretty creepy stuff. Have some rather compelling stories but I'll save those for another time. I actually nearly used real evp's in GH1. But I thought it could be disrespectful and did not. However this may change GH2 opens lots of new doors..

Interviewer: Wow thats quite a history, Ive always had a chill down my spine when watching paranormal activities on Tv and ghost hunters. Bringing that element of a hightened state of fear is really difficult in games. What has the communities feed back to how uve captured that been like ?

Breadman:As far as I can tell the community thinks I've done a good job (I hope.) My inboxs on facepunch and especially youtube were jam packed after release, and I still get messages about how I scared the living hell out of some poor dude who just wanted to chill in Gmod for 20 mins. The reception has really helped me understand what scares players.

Interviewer:Its always nice to know youv'e scared the s**t out of some 15 year old kids playing games way past their bed times. But in all seriousess Its ******* Scarey You should be ashamed of your self.

Breadman: I guess I should. A good friend of mine who was featured in the youtube video of me testing this map has also recieved many messages. One included a guy who claimed his friend had wet himself literally because he was playing whilst busting for the toilet. Not a good idea to be honest.

Interviewer:Wow..how do u explain that one to mum xD

Breadman:lol Nope, never in a million years.

Interviewer: Sooooo the burning question on everyone's mind....Youv'e mentioned it a few times...and im sure everyone out there...or most of them...have seen the teaser trailer for GH2....what can u tell us Wink wink*

Breadman: It's a bit bigger than the original, in terms of actual size and workload. I've finished detailing one segment of the map and I've still got like 4 'areas' to go. It's so much work. There's a bunch of new stuff in there in terms of events. The barrel in the trailer is just one I've been playing around with. Very effective. It's not as complicated though. GH1 had corridors and rooms all over the place. This map is more split in two. You have the living quaters and then you have the actual mines. The mines seem kind of bland right now and I'm working on spicing them up

Interviewer: What exactly is the premise this time round, i think i read on the youtube Vid, about miners mysteriously disappearing?

Breadman: One thing players wanted was more back-story, so I had to develop something a little deeper this time around. The miners have vanished, and its up to you and your friends to see if you can determine what happened to them before the mine is sealed for good. There won't be much of this in game though. GH1 worked great the way it did without any NPC interaction. The map and the players are the ones that build the narrative by playing. The full back-story will all be explained before release. I'm hoping it'll do the map some good. With GH1 It was fun to try and determine what went on, but the environment was so generic that a non-existent narrative was pretty much a given. GH2 is different, its a tactile environment. It's not very cliche, and it needs something behind it.

Interviewer: Sounds like we have a lot too look forward too, with the success of Gh1, how has the community effected Gh2?

Breadman: Countless ways. The layout has been designed to not be as disorientating as the first. There's another room you'll have to figure out how to open, but its an optional feat. The ghosts are more violent, you'll die more. I got some great feedback that I bared in mind during construction. This guy and his friend made a buggy and put lights and cameras on it because they were too afraid to venture around themselves. Instead they sent their little ghosthunting robot in. They got as far as the canteen before the table ghost sucked it into the kitchen and ruined it. I thought that was so creative that I've decided to make this map a little easier to navigate should anybody else want to create cute little ghosthunting robots.

Interviewer: Haha that sounds awesome. I can see a custom Wall-E model in GH2 with a camera attached Lol. Now we've talked about Fan support, but what about "Inhouse" support, what level of testing do you go into and do u have any lab rats to help bug test ur maps?

Breadman: I have a couple of minions that help me test these maps. These are my close IRL friends. They helped me test GH1 intensively, and will continue on to help me test GH2. With GH1 I was spitting out a new version and loading up a server every weeknight to test added stuff. I would never tell them what had changed though. Got plenty of screams out of them. GH2 will probably enter the same stage of testing in the next few weeks. I've had many many offers regarding beta testers and I'm still considering these. I don't want to have people spoil the events before its released, and with IRL friends whom I can trust to test this, I know that will not happen.

Interviewer: Ah yes the plight of the pesky leakers Smite them i say.

Breadman: I wouldn't say its popular enough for people to want to leak parts of it, but loose lips sink ships. I don't want word to get around. The barrel being crushed in the trailer is all you're seeing in terms of events. You'l have to wait and discover the rest yourself.

Interviewer: We deffinitly can not wait to get our cheesy Cheeto covered mits on the Official Release of GH2, any fleeting idea of a possible release date?

Breadman: It'l be a little while. I'm not confident enough to pin down a date just yet, but I will as the time approaches. There is much to be done.

Interviewer:Fair enough, weve just got some time left for some community questions, would you mind answering a few?

Breadman: Sure!

'jgoodroad' From Interlopers asks : "What made you want to have the sequel take place underground? And does that setting place any particular restrictions on the scripted scare events you can use?"

Breadman: I wanted to choose a non cliché location. Not only that, but thanks to Episode 2 there are tons of textures and models within the SDK that involve mines in some way. In terms of the events its kinda more difficult this time round as I'm trying to do better than I did with GH1. I'm only restricted in terms of environment space however. You can thank the claustrophobic mines for that.

Mini_peanut5 from the Steam forums said : "On ghosthunt when there weren't any music/screams etc... happening i seem to hear some sort of low breathing sound which i think is coming from my character and this made me wonder that in the next ghosthunt are you going to make it so that your breathing becomes more noticeable when something scary happens or are you going to leave the breathing out"

Breadman: It's always interesting to see how people interpret the sounds in GH1. Setting up the audio background for the map took me more time than actually creating the events, and I'm glad to hear people are paying attention and listening to them. I never really intended the sounds to be coming from the player, but I like that idea. It would however take some time to work into GH2 and probably wouldn't mold well with multiplayer.

Interviewer: Well I hope that answers some of there questions. From everyone here and to To community, we cant wait for GH2 !! Bring it ON.

Well there you have it :D The in's- and out's Of GH2 ....hope that drums up even more questions and ideas for everyone too ponder over. We can't wait and im sure neither can you!!

HAPPY HUNTING!!
Exclusive_Ghost
Dumpling
Dumpling

Re: GM_GhostHunt 2 Exclusive Interview

Postby zombie@computer on Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:57 pm

Lemme be the first.

No idea who this is about.

tl; dr
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™