Hollow Finds A Job!

Chat about various topics.

Re: Hollow Finds A Job!

Postby Hollow on Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:57 pm

Cheers for all the kind words. I'll stick around for sure (I'm mainly in lopers chat most nights). But I will probably be providing you guys with news of the game as it breaks!

Mr Skelhon, I can share some tips and words of advice on standing a better chance of succeeding.
My NDA regarding PG games mainly states that I can't leak confidential material, talk about trade secrets etc etc, the usual expected stuff. I'm pretty certain that giving an overview of how my application process evolved isn't breaching any terms of agreement, but I'll keep it generalised just in case :wink:

My portfolio can be viewed here:
http://arranseaton.carbonmade.com/

I spent a lot of time weeding out a fair amount of 'fluff' in my portfolio. i.e, stuff that looks pretty but doesn't really have much to say in regards to a focal point. Krem helped me out a fair amount here, as well as Gen. Vivi. It really helps to get a second opinion of your content. You have to choose the very finest of your work. I'd say it's all about quality over quantity of course, but make sure you've got a lot of variation in your work. I also have links to videos in the about section, videos can say a lot more than pictures. It shows that it's playable for starters and gives a whole new perspective on how they see your creations.

I do have some prop modelling work which I showed at the interview, the main reason I didn't include it on my carbonmade was down to not having sufficient content in comparison to the other sections. Vivi explained that it's a red flag to not have consistency in appearance and presentation.

Lastly, get yourself on a project worth showing off if you are taking the modding route rather than academic. Getting on one amazing team is infinitely better than working for 10 sub-par teams. I pestered Tay (Krem) for months to join the team, and honestly its probably the biggest swing factor for me succeeding. They were impressed with Canvas, and could see that I was determined to scout out the best talent to join in order to prove myself. I'd be very surprised if the remaining core members of the team do not get hired within the next year or two.

Unfortunately I won't be able to continue my input on Canvas, that's usually how the industry works (it's considered a conflict of Interest - esp if Canvas goes Indie) I might consider negotiating it slightly in future but we'll see.

Regarding the interview I had a 3 stage process. Firstly a phone interview. Then a first informal interview. TheN a second, usually final interview. The phone chat was weird, and I thought I did terribly tbh. But I guess it was a case of good luck. They ask very specific and sometimes unusual questions so you need to be on your toes.

The second stage, i went up and saw them in person. This was a long chat, almost 2 hours. Covering all my past experience with tools, what I worked on, what games i love, what i am looking forward etc. They will most likely want to get to know your background and really see if you're passionate. It's great to show that you love playing all types of genres. I could imagine they would get put off if you only loved shooters if they were a Medieval MMO studio lol.
It then moved on to more specific questions and my solutions. If you are good with your words then it helps to describe elements and ideas more intuitively. Believe me, I was nervous as hell, but after finding my feet it was a pretty natural back and forth conversation. I managed to get on pretty well with the Lead Designers.
A positive attitude, eye contact and ambition will help you go far regardless of if you are nervous (provided your work can support you).

Once that interview was up, i remained in contact with the lead designer, who assigned me a task to test my metal, so to speak. I had a week to use 3DS Max to mock up a design for them. For which I succeeded. Meaning I got to stage 3 and the all the serious stuff. It was then NDA signing time. A brief chat with a Senior employee and an offer.

I'm sure that other studios have a different method in terms of how they handle applications, but if you get the chance to have an interview and it's the same system, stage 3 is pretty much the finish line.

I start early next month so now my aim is to found a new place to live haha. It's nice and cheap in Leamington so It should be fine.

i hope any of this helps. I'm thrilled to be part of the 'lopers all-stars' who have managed to cram their foot in the door jk jk. But I still know I have a long way to go, so I won't strut around this forum with any air of importance heh.

Vilham wrote:Grats. Looks like your gunna be working with my mate Chris who just joined them having left my studio.

Oh sweet, I will mention you when i start working with him!
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby Major Banter on Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:22 pm

Leamington Spa? My brother lives there! Might pop up sometime from Reading Uni for a coffee and a chat if you're interested.

Thanks for all the information. I'll save it and use it to best effect on that fateful day I hand in a few CVs. A really, really useful insight into the hiring process - more rigorous than I expected, but I guess it's a very serious studio. Also it's given me reason to really think about my portfolio, and what you said about mod teams was interesting. I'll be bearing that in mind post-Stroll.

Anyway, good luck, thanks again, and I'll speak to you in chat soonish.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Surfa on Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:58 pm

Congrats buddy.
Surfa
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Dr. Delta on Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:25 pm

Thanks for the detailed and insightful overview of how the hiring process went down, pretty interesting to read.
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Hollow on Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:16 pm

Hey no problem guys! I'm always happy to help fellow lopers out :)

Major Banter wrote:Leamington Spa? My brother lives there! Might pop up sometime from Reading Uni for a coffee and a chat if you're interested.

Yeah I wouldn't mind that! I would offer a tour round the studio too but I doubt I'm allowed haha.
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby Gary on Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:40 pm

Hollow wrote:Yeah I wouldn't mind that! I would offer a tour round the studio too but I doubt I'm allowed haha.

Would probably not to try something like that until you got everyone there liking you. The last thing a new person should do is try to bring his friends into the studio for a tour.

But I'm 17 and have no job, so I can't really say. lol
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Hollow on Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:57 pm

I was just messing Gary haha. He ain't seeing shit mang lololol
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby Blink on Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:00 pm

Great news Hollow. Always pleases me to see another person has landed a job that they will love!
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby lolbabes on Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:17 pm

Am I the only one who's disappointed? :(
lolbabes

Postby Hollow on Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:17 pm

Blink wrote:Great news Hollow. Always pleases me to see another person has landed a job that they will love!

I'll have to get you to change my name plate thing to 'Playground Games' soon haha :-D
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby Epifire on Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:43 pm

I am very happy for you Arran. I am glad to see some of us continue the progression from modding, to professional work. Can't say I don't envy you right now, but I strive to do what your doing in maybe the next four years, so I let time takes its course.

Maybe when you and your studio complete a game, you can post here and tell us what you built in it. I can't imagine what that has got to be like when you point to a game copy on the shelf, (or where ever) and say I helped build that. Exciting time I bet that will be for you. Also enjoyed reading about applying, and the interviews.

Best of wishes, to your future endeavors.
Epifire

Postby PaulH on Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:00 pm

I know a load of the Playground games guys from my time at Codies, good bunch, best of luck with it all :)
- Level Designer - Crytek UK -
http://paulhaynes.carbonmade.com
PaulH
Crytek UK

Postby Blink on Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:05 pm

Hollow wrote:
Blink wrote:Great news Hollow. Always pleases me to see another person has landed a job that they will love!

I'll have to get you to change my name plate thing to 'Playground Games' soon haha :-D

Just say the word!
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby PaulH on Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:29 pm

Make sure you direct any and all mum jokes towards Lee Niven when you start :)
- Level Designer - Crytek UK -
http://paulhaynes.carbonmade.com
PaulH
Crytek UK

Postby 904 on Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:42 pm

Cool to see you got a job in the industry. Congratulations!
Design Section Moderator

Previous

Return to General Discussion