Why do modders mod? (Writing a paper!)

Chat about various topics.

Why do modders mod? (Writing a paper!)

Postby Blitzy on Tue May 01, 2012 9:59 am

Hey Interlopers!

I'm an avid fan of game modifications, many of the finest made by you guys right here at Interlopers.net. Whether they be object/sound replacements, custom expansions or total conversions that could very well be mistaken for retail-quality games, it's always inspiring to behold the kind of work you lovely fellas/fellettes create for the mod community and I'm grateful for all the fun content you've shared with us.

I'm actually writing a dissertation on modding now, exploring the reasons and motivations behind modding itself.
'Why do modders mod?'. Considering that modders, by name, are creating their content using already-existing and copyrighted material, modding can only go forward if the modders themselves refuse to take any monetary profit - they cannot make any money on their mods, regardless of the time/effort poured into the projects.

Particularly in the cases of full total-conversions like 'Cry of Fear', 'No More Room In Hell', 'Zombie Panic: Source' and 'Neotokyo', these modgames could stand as retail games by their own right - and they've demanded the time, skills and effort of making one. However, because they're mods, no money can be made despite having such potential as retail products. Despite this, modders continue to modify the games of their choice rather than making their own games from scratch - I'm particularly interested in why that's the case. If modders aren't in it for monetary profit, then what? What is it that drives you marvelous modders to mod?

Of course, the best way to find out why modders mod is obviously to ask the modders themselves, and that is why I'm here talking to you guys! I've seen the work you guys pour into these projects and I love playing with the final products you release - I just want to know what motivated you to create it!

So! I'd love to hear your backgrounds, reasons and motivations driving your projects and I'd be very, very, very grateful if you replied! :D

Just briefly describe your experience in modding, what inspired you to begin modifying games, what kind of projects you've worked on and in what capacity, and most importantly, why do you modders mod?
Blitzy
Dumpling
Dumpling

Re: Why do modders mod? (Writing a paper!)

Postby Armageddon on Tue May 01, 2012 10:32 am

Here's a couple of possible reasons.

Modders mod because they are unhappy with a certain aspect of the game, they mod because they can, they mod because it's fun, they mod to get experience to one day enter the industry, industry people mod to relax and create their own projects. People mod just to create their own ideas, and play their own ideas. I really don't know why I mod. I don't particularly enjoy it, but I find it interesting.

I have worked on Neptune, when that fell apart I tried doing my own mods for awhile, all failed. Now I'm working on Visage.

I guess different art styles inspire me, styles I want to recreate in an engine, it's a fun challenge to recreate something in a 3D space and explore it. I'm also inspired by trying out new engine tools, and using them in unique ways.

I'd say the main reason people mod instead of making games is because of money, it costs a lot to buy a license for most game engines these days. And if you're making a retail game there is more pressure to stray away from innovation, when you know just another shoot will sell decent amounts. There's also more pressure not to screw up and make mistakes, there are deadlines. Lots of things.

So yeah, not much more I have to offer, hope this was useful to you.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Blink on Tue May 01, 2012 12:30 pm

Some time ago, when I was level designing I never once expected or wanted to be part of the games industry. All I knew was opening Hammer (and Worldcraft before that) and then creating my own worlds was one of the most fun things I could think to do.

Seeing set pieces come together or mastering tricky uses of the editor were very rewarding experiences. Moving onto later days, it all became about letting people play and experience the environments I had dreamt up and created.

I got frustrated by how lame all the current editing communities were so that kind of prompted me to start this site, however it was probably just another outlet of building something that other people would use and enjoy.

I think my background in level design directly influenced my move into working on websites as it's the same thing but in a different medium.

Anyone who gets into modding just to be part of the industry is doing it wrong and I get frustrated when I see amateur mod teams pretend they're running a studio or something. If you're good enough, you'll get hired, and all of the greatest level designers did it for the right reasons; building fun things for fun.
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby Spike on Tue May 01, 2012 2:49 pm

Mostly because modders are creative people that like to make things on their own. Taking a project from 0 and turning it into something is a great satisfaction
Spike
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Text_Fish on Tue May 01, 2012 3:53 pm

I've always considered modding a natural progression from my childhood obsession with toys like Lego and Meccano. Building things is fun. It's almost as fun to witness other people enjoying what you've built, though I've found that as an end goal that can detract from the initial fun of building.
Mappers Top Tip #548
Lighting: The arrangement, hue and intensity of one or multiple light sources.
Lightning: A dazzling discharge of electric sparks in the atmosphere, often preceding thunder.
Text_Fish
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Corewarp on Tue May 01, 2012 4:46 pm

Text_Fish wrote:I've always considered modding a natural progression from my childhood obsession with toys like Lego and Meccano. Building things is fun. It's almost as fun to witness other people enjoying what you've built, though I've found that as an end goal that can detract from the initial fun of building.

I agree whole heartedly. I thoroughly enjoy building something, but watching others enjoy it makes it even better.

I also think people mod because they want to get into game design. Modding allows them to instantly test their ideas and content without having to build every from scratch. That near-instant gratification really helps people progress.
Corewarp
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Epifire on Tue May 01, 2012 6:39 pm

Corewarp wrote:
Text_Fish wrote:I've always considered modding a natural progression from my childhood obsession with toys like Lego and Meccano. Building things is fun. It's almost as fun to witness other people enjoying what you've built, though I've found that as an end goal that can detract from the initial fun of building.

I agree whole heartedly. I thoroughly enjoy building something, but watching others enjoy it makes it even better.

I also think people mod because they want to get into game design. Modding allows them to instantly test their ideas and content without having to build every from scratch. That near-instant gratification really helps people progress.

Yep, that is me right there too. Modding inspires me because it's like building some thing that you imagined, that others can play in as well as you. Totally awesome if you ask me. I know I am going all out on game design, that may hopefully develop into a career. After spending way to much money on new equipment for you guessed it, more modding, it really has become apparent how much I love what I do.

It's a passion that changes how you look at things in life, and changes how you design over time as it is some thing you grow into. I know I am still a real newbie compared to a lot of the other Lopers here, but I just hopped on later then some of the long time runners here. I am purely into the modeling/level designing part of things. It is like learning a whole new language when you start up, but if you love it, you really learn to do amazing things with it the moar you use it. Hope you enjoy your stay Blitzy, and good luck on that paper your writing.
Epifire

Postby fishshapedfish on Tue May 01, 2012 6:39 pm

If anything it's because it's fun.
Check Out the Team's Latest Mod!
WIP Screenshots
Recruiting/Our Goals
fishshapedfish
Regular
Regular

Postby zombie@computer on Tue May 01, 2012 7:16 pm

Yeah, i only mod to keep me from realising life is just a boring dash to the grave.

If life gives you melons, you may be dyslectic
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Hollow on Tue May 01, 2012 7:43 pm

zombie@computer wrote:Yeah, i only mod to keep me from realising life is just a boring dash to the grave.

If life gives you melons, you may be dyslectic

A true poet of our time!
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby Major Banter on Tue May 01, 2012 8:34 pm

Would you prefer my pretentious English Literature/Art background response or my straight-up simple response?
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby SotaPoika on Tue May 01, 2012 8:39 pm

I first started modding as just a hobby. My modding in the beginning was to just make small CSS GG/FY maps, which were basically just shootout maps. Stuff was simple, I enjoyed seeing my own work ingame. My CSS maps were played occasionally by some random player or two, because after compile (if run game after compile was chosen), Hammer always created non-LAN server for anyone to join. It was fun.

After I did those small maps for years along with middle-school (ya know, 7th-9th grade), I thought I wanted more. When I started high-school, I started working on my biggest map-project ever: nmrih_hidden. Yes, it was a map for No More Room In Hell. By the time, I was just community member and I worked rather hard to get my map to point, that when mod is released, I can release my map very soon after it. Well, many of you know NMRiH "died" in 2008 due to intruder-in-the-base scenario and it was bit sad seeing it happen, mapping wise too as I spent alot of time on my map. Well, NMRiH was summoned up again by new team-lead (which this time knew actually how to run a team and had a proper goal), I asked if I had a chance. I did, which is why I'm now in NMRiH team as Lead Level Designer.

So, in NMRiH team, I just thought it was awesome to work in proper project and in a team with talented people (some were talented, but lazy, which resulted in boot-mark in their asses). I was getting better almost every week as we were testing gameplay stuff and designing the gameplay. I was also super excited to work on a big thing, not "just" a map. At this point, my high-school was in mid-point, so I started to think what I want from future. Seeing how many modders got into game industry and I really enjoy creating levels, I began to also think my work as a portfolio pieces I could use when applying for real studio. I wanted to in the industry one day. I am still working on NMRiH, as it's in beta. Lots of things to do.

I guess I haven't really answered to the question yet. I think I do modding (mainly), because there's freedom to do things pretty much how ever you want, no more waiting for some big company to do it with huge budget. You have nice base to build your stuff on, no need to code everything from ground up. I also think, it's nice to create something many can enjoy, giving people free stuff to play (those who have the game obviously, except now Source2007 is free basically). Besides, like I said before, I want to work in the industry one day too, so that's ne reason too. I also enjoyed building with lego or whatever equal to it when I was a kid, so maybe it's just that creative part in me that just wants me to make stuff and have that "replay-value" out of everything as long as possible.

Okay, I don't know about the quality of the text. I'm tired and I tend to easily lose my thought then, so.. yea, I hope you can make something out of that text.

Also, modding rules! We need to tell this to more people so big companies might wake up (DICE, Craptivision, etc.) and "give back" the ability to mod big-titles again, besides UDK/Source/CryEngine.
* Portfolio: http://sp0n3.carbonmade.com/
* No More Room In Hell - Level Designer
* Zombie Panic! Source - Level Designer
SotaPoika
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Stormy on Tue May 01, 2012 9:34 pm

Well I don't really mod as such, I model, specifically for mods. I got into it originally because I wanted an item in a game that wasn't in it, so I decided to make it. It's now seven years later and I never did get that model into that game. I think for me it's the great feeling you get when you can look at your own work and feel real pride. If I make something and then stare at it for ages and think "yeah that looks awesome" then I know I have made something good, and that it why I do it.

I'm also somewhat of a graphics whore and I like making lots of variety in the games I model for. Re-used props are shit if they aren't something mass manufactured. I guess looking at that sentence it's a drive to improve a game as I see fit.

Lastly, it's the progression of knowledge. I have a hunger to learn and modelling sates that. Every model I make I learn more, become more comfortable with my tools, find a better work flow. However, if you only want to know why we mod, well I mode so that I can see what models I need to make for my mod.

I think it can be summed up as "this needs x, so I make x."
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Blitzy on Wed May 02, 2012 9:50 am

Thanks for all the informative responses, guys! From both academic and mod-fan standpoints, it's always interesting to see the many various reasons you guys do what you guys do. :smt023

Major Banter wrote:Would you prefer my pretentious English Literature/Art background response or my straight-up simple response?

Whichever one gives me more to go on. ;D
Blitzy
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Mr. Happy on Wed May 02, 2012 6:29 pm

Making stuff: I spent my whole childhood fiddling with computers and woodworking with my Dad, building Legos and Knex, making cliff dwelings from twigs in the garden and stuff like that. Imagining something and then creating it is very satisfying, it feels "complete" in a way that other hobbies and actions don't.

Figuring things out: modding often requires extreme problem solving and sideways thinking because you are often working with tools that aren't fully documented or aren't necessarily meant for your goal. For example, you can't solve a coding problem if you only know how to model, but you might be able to sidestep and hack together something to still achieve the idea.

Helping people: the only way modding can last and thrive and for people to realize larger ideas is to help each other. No one knows everything and no one can do everything. In order for there to be a community and in order to learn ourselves we have to help and teach each other. The other side of this coin is learning from others, having someone show me a cool new trick is always fun and I like to try and do the same for others. Helping or encouraging people to solve a problem I've had is nice.

Bringing a little enjoyment (hopefully) into the life of anyone thats played what I've made: I am a Utilitarian (pretense alert!) I judge the rightness of actions by whether or not they increase the collective happiness (or usefulness, see above). Also it feels good when someone says "that was fun!" or to check the server browser / downloads and see people playing what you made.

And the more modders there are, the more modders there will be as the communities grow through economies of scale. The more websites (thanks Blink!) there are, the more people are exposed to the hobby and take it up, and thus more people are creating more and more stuff which I then get to play :D
-You've just been happified!?
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Return to General Discussion