The Official What The Heck Are You Up To Thread

Chat about various topics.

The Official What The Heck Are You Up To Thread

Postby ad_hominem on Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:41 pm

It's been quite a while since I got my hands dirty on some legitimate source editing, and I have a feeling a number of you might be in the same boat. However, that's not to say that a lot of people here aren't doing very interesting things outside of the realm of the Source SDK.

So, this is a thread intended for people to shout proudly about whatever they're working on outside of Source editing, whether it's art, or music or anything.

Just in the last few months we've seen Hollow release an 80s-inspired EP, and Vicpop has created an awesome electronic album under the name Intermediate.

As for me (and largely why I'm creating this thread after looking around for a place to shoehorn it in), about five months ago I kind of fell into making a comic every week day, and I've been uploading them onto a website. You can see them here. Some of them even have jokes! Most of them don't:

Anyway, I'm almost up to 100 comics, and I think I've accrued maybe five good ones in there. So go and hunt them down!

So, what have you guys been up to apart from Hammering?
ad_hominem
Monothetic
Monothetic

Re: The Official What The Heck Are You Up To Thread

Postby srredfire on Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:44 pm

srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Armageddon on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:39 pm

Coding, failing. I'm working on a new thing now though.

Also I'm playtesting an adventure game which is cool.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Jangalomph on Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:13 am

Hmm,

Well working on.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/infra
http://www.moddb.com/mods/mindworld-shattered-dreams
http://www.moddb.com/mods/no-more-room-in-hell
http://www.moddb.com/games/mist-of-stagnation

Other wise im thinking about starting up a side project to go along with my schooling (coding).. and just continue working on my VFX portfolio to get into some big companies soon. :wink:
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Plague on Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:20 am

Besides not going to school, becoming a full-time recluse and just being lazy.

Been taking up programming in my free time, working on a simple testing suite for some hardware.

Been tossing some ideas for a book, not sure if I feel up to it though.

Random bouts of modeling and/or art practice.
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Stormy on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:19 pm

I have been programming a mobile/web app for the mining industry that tracks explosive stock usage. It works on a tablet/phone and has two PHP based web interfaces. The idea is that the miners (the guys who ALWAYS fuck up the maths, seriously, 87-5 = 76 this happens all the time) have a tablet where they just punch in how many they take and that's it. This then uploads to a server where the PHP web interface can track all the usage. It's in the early stages of development but I'm hoping to have a useable app up soon and the mining company I work for is very interested in buying it from me and if they do then I could most likely quit my job and develop it full time on the money I would have coming in.

Here's where I get fucking retarded.

I don't want to do it anymore. I want to travel around the world and I want to do it now. I am 24 and I want to be out of the country by 25, which is june. But I know that the opportunity I have now to make serious income from what I love doing, and possibly to use that to make a development studio, will never come around again, and people fight their whole lives for a hint of what has landed in my lap. If I get a contract for this thing it means I will have to spend at least the next two years furthering it which means no travelling for me. But it also means that I can set myself up in an industry I have been dying to get into for life, and be my own boss doing it. I think I am scared.

I am in a serious crisis right now lopers, help me out brahs. Make me stop being a pissy little bitch or prove to me that travel is worth throwing away the opportunity of a lifetime.

On a side note if I do travel I'm thinking at some point 2 year working visa in the states. Anyone got a warm patch of floor I can crash on? Will trade models for board.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Jangalomph on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:24 pm

Do your business now you dummy. Once you have the money rolling in, you may not even need to work again, then you can travel all you want. Traveling is nice, but making good money doing what you love is better sometimes. I say dont let this opportunity slip away, if you do, you're a moron.
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Armageddon on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:36 pm

Do what janga said, you won't become a fatty between 25 and 28 anyways.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby marnamai on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:42 pm

Traveling is something you can allways do later, but missing out on an opportunity to make a lot of cash ... you'll regret that. You should really consider going for the money and save some of it to travel later.
marnamai
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Blink on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:20 pm

Nice idea for a thread.

Thoughtshake makes me chuckle regularly and also makes me worried to be even associated with you via the internet ;-)

Things I did recently:

Things I should be doing:
  • Making about 4 other sites for people, one of which is the new Interlopers. Hoping to knuckle down on those this year
  • Writing a blog post about the history of Interlopers. Figured it would be fun to write.
  • Moar travelling

One thing I wish would happen this year:
  • Valve release something awesome for the SDK and re-kindle the love of making maps in the HL universe (I can dream).
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby source-maps on Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:22 am

Playing hide and seek with Horatio, he's rubbish!!! lollol
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Epifire on Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:51 am

Making moar models again.
Epifire

Postby Jangalomph on Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:08 am

Oh, this was the what are you doing out side of modding. lolololol whoops. Well in that case, going out to eat with friends on friday nights, and going to drag strips/drift competitions for the fun of it. Hopefully this summer i can find a creek to pan gold in. Then im going to college for programming and.. that sums up my life.
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Ark11 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:50 am

jangalomph wrote:going to drag strips/drift competitions for the fun of it. Hopefully this summer i can find a creek to pan gold in.

Most redneck thing I have ever read.
"Drop kick me Jesus, through the goalposts of life." - Robert Bare
Ark11

Postby Epifire on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:01 am

Ark11 wrote:
jangalomph wrote:going to drag strips/drift competitions for the fun of it. Hopefully this summer i can find a creek to pan gold in.

Most redneck thing I have ever read.

Funny thing it is actually worth your while, literally. That is if you do it right.
Epifire

Next

Return to General Discussion