I'm out

Chat about various topics.

Re: I'm out

Postby Gambini on Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:13 pm

No, I don´t tango. Tango is a dance that became popular here in the past century and some people keep dancing it as a tradition, mostly as a show than as a dance itself (it´s not like you go to a night club and everybody is dancing it) I don´t even know if Tango was invented here.
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby no00dylan on Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:27 am

Stormy, man. What can I say?
We had some wild times together, didn't we?
Well. I'll miss you, man.
Sincerely,
Me I guess
no00dylan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby srredfire on Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:26 am

See you in a snuff film!
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Stormy on Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:34 am

I will take you up on your offer Gambini, once I get over there and get some proper spanish under my belt. Estoy aprendiendo pero muy despacio. I'll make you a shitload of models if you want. I am in two minds as to whether I should bring my laptop though, I would be pretty upset if I lost it.

Also not worried in the least about being killed or any of that shit. You yanks need to get your information from more than one source. I wouldn't be surprised to get mugged but I am no more worried about it there than I am here.

And Banter I have a bed offer from my cousin in Bristol so if I do get to The Isle of Ye Olde Dragonnes I will collect on that beer, and make you models.

Anyone else want to offer me beer? I'm not on a fixed itinerary, I'll collect.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:24 am

Stormy...be safe no matter where you go.

I'm not sure what you are imagining when you think of traveling abroad, but I cannot help but think that you will spend considerable time on foot, walking around. Invest in some footwear that will last you the trip. It's like the wise words of Lt Dan: "Keep your head down and change your socks every time you stop."

Here are some articles about safety while traveling abroad. They come from one of those kooky survivalist website (excellent inspiration for writing rebel banter for mods, as well as making rebel survival measures more feasible), so take the information with a grain of salt. Still, I think some of it is useful and pertains to your specific situation.

http://www.survivalblog.com/2009/10/tra ... ck-in.html
http://www.survivalblog.com/2009/10/thr ... ecuri.html
http://www.survivalblog.com/2012/04/let ... ion-1.html
http://www.survivalblog.com/2011/07/ops ... ad-by.html

This link is also from the survivalist website, but focuses more in the broad category of "outdoor survival". Probably even more in line with your specific case (unless you plan to live in hotels the whole time, everywhere you go...$30k is not a great deal of money except in the 3rd world).
http://www.survivalblog.com/outdoor-survival/index.html

I wish I could travel. Be wise and methodical, take advantage of everything you can. Experience the world and make it back to us safely.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby PhoeniX1992 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:57 am

Black_Stormy wrote:I will take you up on your offer Gambini, once I get over there and get some proper spanish under my belt. Estoy aprendiendo pero muy despacio. I'll make you a shitload of models if you want. I am in two minds as to whether I should bring my laptop though, I would be pretty upset if I lost it.

Also not worried in the least about being killed or any of that shit. You yanks need to get your information from more than one source. I wouldn't be surprised to get mugged but I am no more worried about it there than I am here.

And Banter I have a bed offer from my cousin in Bristol so if I do get to The Isle of Ye Olde Dragonnes I will collect on that beer, and make you models.

You're always welcome for a beer if you ever find yourself on the European mainland, specifically in the Netherlands. Any 'loper is :).
PhoeniX1992
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Gambini on Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:49 pm

Black_Stormy wrote:I will take you up on your offer Gambini, once I get over there and get some proper spanish under my belt. Estoy aprendiendo pero muy despacio. I'll make you a shitload of models if you want. I am in two minds as to whether I should bring my laptop though, I would be pretty upset if I lost it.

Great. I wish I could offer you more. But my house is just big enough for my wife, kids and me. And I work full time.
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Garrador on Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:41 pm

Sounds fun! Best of luck. If you ever visit the west country side of Norway I'll offer a beer ;) Why Sweden btw?
You click on Build or type
make (or some equivalent), and you are astonished, then mortified, as you realize that the whole world is being
recompiled and relinked!
- Scott Meyers
Garrador
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Hollow on Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:51 pm

Black_Stormy wrote:And Banter I have a bed offer from my cousin in Bristol so if I do get to The Isle of Ye Olde Dragonnes I will collect on that beer, and make you models.

My home city is Bristol, so if I'm ever back to visit and you're about, I'll be sure to show you around :)
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby BubbleQ on Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:37 pm

Be open for everything new and don't be afraid for change, and the world will truly be your oyster! As others have said, you are welcome to sleep here if you need to and then if I'm at home^^ I don't know what your motivation is for such a travel but I do my self just want to burt out in the world aswell, livving on what I got left in my backpack and an open mind!
Pretty werid you 're intrested in Sweden of all though, why?
---------------------------------
I am a happy mapper!
Archlinux
BubbleQ
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Sathor on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:03 pm

If you, by some chance, end up in Germany, tell me. Pretty sure we can arrange a meeting, if you are in Berlin. It is the only place worth to visit in the entire east of Germany, anyway. There is not much else in the east.
Haha.

And beer is no problem here. None at all.
Sathor

Postby leoviale on Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:48 pm

Black_Stormy wrote:Quit mah jerb today. I have 30 grand in the bank. I am moving to Argentina in October. No bullshit.

I hope to keep modeling and modding but I have no idea what the next two years are going to be like. I thought for a while that I would quit and develop games fulltime but 30 grand in Australia won't last long enough, and I want to travel while there's wick to burn. So off to South America I go. Any lopers on that continent? I'll trade mass amounts of models for a couch to sleep on.

So like... seeyas later maybe, I dunno.

Dude I'm from Argentina, I came to Canada because things are so awful over there I took off, specially for games n' stuff. If you're going for vacations that's fine, but a few advice if you're still going:

-Don't tell anyone that you have 30k in the bank, someone will tell ppl about that, and you will be kidnapped or a group of ppl will grab you outside a bank or in the streets and rob you. Also keep the money in a bank outside Argentina, if you transfer it to an Argentinian bank, forget about that money for ever, the stupid government has some fucked up measurements for USD and everything that's not AR$ that won't allow you to take that money away from the country, once it's in, it won't ever come out, so keep it safe and quiet.
- Right now there's allot of insecurity everywhere, so be careful on the streets even in the places where tourists hang out, specially at night, and make sure you don't look so "tourist". Taxis and all that crap will be brutal when they know you're an outsider, they will scam you and charge ridiculously high fares and drive you all around the city.
- Game companies mostly do shitty games and 99% is mobile or fb games, you won't find anything like AAA games over there, at least that counts. That's what I saw before leaving, I don't really know what happened now.

That's all the bad side, the good one is that you will probably find real friends, and good ppl mostly, we behave differently than ppl around the world, very friendly. I can tell you that, I came here to Canada, and was in US and Europe, and ppl are not the same, specially here in Canada and US, they are sooo different when it comes to friendship and meeting ppl, you will love that for sure. And you will also taste the best food ever. And there's lots of good stuff too, but's it's all friend/party/good times related, when it comes to living and work, specially whit 1st world standards it sucks.

Hope this helps mate, have a good trip anyways!
leoviale
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Stormy on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:53 pm

A few people wrote:why Sweden?

No idea. I don't really think my destinations through. I see a place and I'm like "that would be nice". There are a lot of Swedish/Finnish backpackers in my town though so I get a lot of chances to hear about it. Also the education system sounds great and the nordic countries just seem to have their shit together (at least from an outsiders view)

leoviale wrote:-snip-

Yeah man the last thing I'm going to do is flash money around. Besides, it's not really in the bank, it's in accounts in AUS that take a ridiculous amount of effort to extract so I'll really only ever have bugger all available. It gets released like a paycheck. And on being a tourist, I despise those middle aged tourist types that get led around a country by the camera strap, I don't think I'll really look like a tourist but it will be hard to not appear as a foreigner while my Spanish is crap. I guess I'll just have to deal with it at first.

But if I could ask you Argies a few questions, how's the place outside of the cities? I don't plan on staying in BA for long, I want to travel down to Chubut and through Patagonia. Going to wwoof on a few farms for a while - get to know some people and brush up on my spanish. When people say 'remote' I usually scoff, since I have lived in places 200ks from anywhere, but how remote does it get out there? Do people die on the roads due to busted tyres or running out of fuel? (Happens a bit over here in the deserts). What are the chances of getting a car outside of the city for cheap, and having it actually run? From what I see, even run down cars are fucking expensive over there.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Gambini on Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:01 pm

Sad to read how Leoviale sees his native country. Things are difficult here but he makes it sound much worse than what it actually is.

Some of his advices are true, it´s better if you keep a low profile and dont walk around with a $1000 camera hanging off your neck. And taxi drivers will surely try to scam you, that´s true. About bringing money here, it´s not like he makes it look, if you´re a foreign and declare the money you bring with you (not all the money you have, just the one you´d plan to transfer to a bank, if that were the case) of course you can take it out.

About your question: The main capital city is pretty much like any european capital city: lot of people, lot of traffic, some cool places to visit, a wide range of prices for hotels and other stuff, etc. There´s plenty of police presence in the main tourist areas. For travelling to the southern provinces I´d take buses, they´re relatively cheap and quite comfortable. Again, there´s plenty of tourism areas in those cities with bungalows or hotels, or even campings. I´d not recommend buying a car. I know it would provide you autonomy, but cars are indeed quite expensive and you´d have to get a license, an insurance and some other things. All that kind of paperwork is terribly bureaucratic and slow here. Not to mention that you´d find that your steering wheel is not on the passenger seat anymore and that roads here are not very well signalized, etc. The country side of Argentina is beautiful, we have all 5 climates, you´ll find deserts, places with snow, mountains, massive waterfalls, jungles, etc. And the people there is much simpler and hospitable. There are remote places as well, if you want to go like backpacker. You can even travel the whole country hitchhiking. I know (for first hand) of people that did that, but that´s a bit rash if you ask my opinion.
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby leoviale on Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:44 am

Well, sorry if my experience makes it look terrible, I mean, the country is beautiful and there are lots of cool stuff, and again, the friends I made and ppl that goes there make, are not the same anywhere in the world, or it's something really hard to find, and that's something really important. But the country is been driven by the worst ppl on earth, I mean, I lived there all my life, and sadly I had to leave to find what I like and make a living out of that. And I know ppl will say you can do the same everywhere, that's not true, I really tried that, but it's not the same and trust me, you'll struggle allot if you want to work same as you probably did in Australia or in my case here in Canada, and just talking to ppl will make this statement valid, ppl r so tired, but used to living like that so they just go along with it.
Again, it's not Africa, it's a really wonderful country, with lots of good ppl, but shit ppl too, and there's allot of stuff that maybe someone coming from a 1st world country won't understand or will find awful. Most of the commentaries that I read here are stereotypes, south america is different in every country, and Argentina is way different that most of the other countries in the South, Buenos Aires looks like a 1st world huge city, with it's local "flavor" too, and like Gambini said, you have lots of different weathers and geographical variations from desert to snow, and all in between.
But again, if you're planning traveling there I would recommend you to travel and see what you think about it, travel with ppl that lives there so you can get their experience and advice for how ppl live and stuff in there. Every experience is different, and like I said, mine wasn't good, and I didn't find myself in there so I left everything behind for a better future, and now I'm happier :D . But I travel once a year or two for 1 month and I have the greatest time with my friends during the summer, and now that's a great way go to Argentina, just for vacations, and then back here.
Best of luck!
leoviale
Dumpling
Dumpling

Previous

Return to General Discussion