HL2 fan video

Chat about various topics.

HL2 fan video

Postby otihome2469 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:00 am

I do a bit of filmmaking whenever I can so I decided to throw this together while I'm still on summer break. I'm a little late to this fan video thing considering that HL2 is about 9 years old. Anyways, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFnj4Tqt0cw

note: I'm not a professional vfx artist so making a video with this much 3d was a challenge for me.
otihome2469
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Re: HL2 fan video

Postby Stormy on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:55 am

Better than I was expecting. The camera tracking on the manhacks was pretty good, I didn't notice any glaring mistakes. The only thing that stood out to me was when the wood gets smashed it falls to the floor too slowly, like it's feather light. You should speed up the wood falling, make a little more dusty fog to obscure the bits, and not have the camera stay on it for so long, so the viewer doesn't get a really good look at it. Also the actors face was pretty much emotionless the whole time which wasn't particularly offputting but a little eyebrow raise or mouth pursing here or there can help convey the concept that he has some sort of thought process going on.

And that crowbar was fucking tiny. Did you get it in a kinder surprise?
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby srredfire on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:46 am

The effects were pretty decent, but I agree with everything Stormy said.

Not to mention I counted 28 shots coming from your Beretta, not counting any off screen bullets whizzing by or what not. That was kind of ridiculous.
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby otihome2469 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:22 am

yep, i'm totally aware of most of your comments. the reason why the wood falling was kinda' slow was because the animation was created in 30 fps and was played back in 23.976 fps so it was somewhat smoothed down. i was debating whether or not i should add some dust elements, but 3d particles or composting 2d elements with z-depth is not something i'm good at so i relied on lens flares to hide some of the mistakes. the lack of emotion in the actor's face was to imply that manhack encounters occur frequently so while they are dangerous it really isn't anything new. but i do realize his lack of emotion may take away some of the tension from the situation. yeah i wish i had a bigger crowbar in my garage, haha.

this video is really just a test video and should not be taken too seriously.

@srredfire lol yeah, i was just making a little action scene so a little john woo logic was implemented with the amount of bullets.
otihome2469
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Return to General Discussion