Moving to Windows 8.1, My thoughts and impressions

Chat about various topics.

Moving to Windows 8.1, My thoughts and impressions

Postby Xyos212 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:31 pm

So like a lot of PC users, I heard the horror stories of Windows 8 and how the Metro UI was annoying and how it resembled a smartphone interface. I briefly tried it before and didnt like it. Didnt like how the start menu was gone, the changes, etc. But since 8.1 came out and after reading about how most games run better on it, I upgraded.

After using it a few weeks I got to say I really like W8.1. The Metro UI is useful for a quick app launcher, keeping a clean desktop, and just is faster to get to your applications. The START button was added back in. It only brings you to the Metro UI, but if you right click on it you have quick access to shut down, control panel, etc. Windows Search has been improved and is much faster, and intuitive. Boot time is much faster too. Im on a SSD and it felt so much faster than when Windows 7 booted up.

Game performance I have to say is amazing. Battlefield 4 on Windows 8.1 compared to 7 was getting an extra 10 FPS average. I have not had any issues with program compatibility either. My Motherboard drivers were all Windows 7, works fine on 8.1, Photoshop, Hammer, XSI, etc.

I dont really have any complaints. Windows has a 90 day trial on their site, if you have a spare drive or want to partition a second boot drive I would suggest giving it a try. Its really not as bad as the press its got.
Avatar images are 130x130 - Please refer to the Forum Rules.
Xyos212
Regular
Regular

Re: Moving to Windows 8.1, My thoughts and impressions

Postby ErikKiller on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:38 pm

Is it just me or are the system requirements the same as they were for Win7?
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Xyos212 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:30 am

They are the same. Dont get me wrong its not Godly amazing, but it is good. Not that it matters because everyone has so much RAM these days, but it uses a lot less RAM wise too while running.
Xyos212
Regular
Regular

Postby Dr Evil on Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:35 am

I wonder how easy the transition from Win7 to 8 is? I dont want to have to spend half my day re installing stuff.
Dr Evil
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby ErikKiller on Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:22 am

Dr Evil wrote:I wonder how easy the transition from Win7 to 8 is? I dont want to have to spend half my day re installing stuff.

I think somebody was surprised you could update it from 7 to 8 whilst in the OS. Not sure if it's true.
I feel like I should be going for 8.1.
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Blink on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:21 am

I tried it (admittedly before 8.1, bu it's not like they rewrote the OS) and I despised it. Had it installed for about a month before I grew sick of the flat UI, the full screen apps and the ridiculous Metro UI that is imposed on you when searching. Don't even get me started on the separate hotkeys required to search different things on your PC.

I only use my PC for games and Win 7 is the OS for that.
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby kraid on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:26 pm

The 8.1 start button is a joke.
The ppl didn't complain because they wanted back that little orb in the bottom left corner, but because without the button all the functions you could access through it are gone elsewhere now.

Beside that i don't wanna feel like using a smartphone when beeing on my Desktop PC and as soon as the OS tells me to "touch the screen here" i wonder if they even considdered that there are still ppl using Desktop PCs without touchscreen.

I had Win8 OEM pre-installed on my new Laptop, now i'm running Win7 Pro 64bit and did not miss Win8 for a second.
If M$ doesn't get rid of this Metro-BS on Win9, Win7 will be my last Windows OS.

Beside that, if SteamOS does a good job as gaming OS, i might be using this one for gaming and maybe stick to Win7 for other stuff as long as my programms are still able to run on it.
Goldeneye Source v4.2.3
get it now and play for FREE!!!
http://www.goldeneyesource.net
kraid
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby ErikKiller on Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:12 pm

I wonder how well SteamOS will function for, say, mapping with 2013 SDK. I think there's no issue working with CSGO SDK because it's actually available under Tools? Also, can I have Dropbox on SteamOS?
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby WhiteDevil on Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:00 pm

I think it's the best windows yet. Everything works smoother, it doesn't limit anything and the new start menu keeps my desktop from cluttering which means I can actually use desktop as a real workspace instead of a icon dumpster.
WhiteDevil
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby ErikKiller on Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:12 pm

WhiteDevil wrote:it doesn't limit anything

Elaborate.
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Dr Evil on Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:50 pm

I have Windows 8 on my laptop, upgraded to it from 7 about 2 months ago, but the only thing I use the laptop for is generalized web surfing and stuff when I'm away from my desktop, otherwise Im a little fearful to make a jump on my Desktop platform. I have a couple programs that will only run in Windows comparability mode, has that feature stayed in Windows 8, or 8.1 for that matter? or will I be screwed?
Dr Evil
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Xyos212 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:35 pm

It feels nothing like a smart-phone. The Metro themed apps are completely optional. Its just like windows 7, most of your time is on the desktop. I see the Metro UI as a handy quick way to get to my apps quickly while keeping my desktop free of clutter.

The Start menu's functioned to get to your Docs, music, My computer, control panel, etc. You can still do all that using the Windows browser just like in Windows 7, or right click the Windows 8 icon.

If all your using your PC for is gaming I really would suggest upgrading to Windows 8.1. Performance with gaming is so much better, just without question. You can google Battlefield 4 benchmarks comparing the 2 OS's performance to check.

Sometimes I think people get this Hipster ideal that Microsoft is the big greedy corporation and thus their products must be crap. I've used Linux, and OSX and Windows blows them away. Linux is great but its held back by compatibility and support.

Also if you really want it to be exactly like Windows 7, 8.1 has new options to disable charms, Metro, etc. There is even a plug-in Windows 7 add-on to bring back an identical Start menu if you want to go that far. I believe its worth if if you want a faster OS, faster boot times, some new handy features, and better game performance.

The only thing I dislike is the Metro Photo viewer, but you have the option to open photos in Windows standard photo viewer on the desktop. Thats the nice thing about 8.1 the additional options to ignore or use certain features of the OS.
Xyos212
Regular
Regular

Postby skoften on Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:06 pm

I have Windows 8.1 and it's a piece of shit.
skoften
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Dives on Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:55 pm

I use 8.1 and it has all the functionality as 7, but with performance improvements in several areas. I really can't see the hate. Seems like bandwagoning to me.
Dives
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Black_Stormy on Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:03 am

I don't even know which one I am on but after installing pokki (a start menu emulator) it's fucken great. My main issue was figuring out how to close the "apps". I mean, they SAY that they cause no overhead, but I'm on a fucken laptop so I need all the juice I can get.

If linux supported the programs I use I would migrate in a heartbeat. Alas, UDK is yet to work on the fabled OS.
Black_Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Next

Return to General Discussion