Unreal Engine 4

Chat about various topics.

Re: Unreal Engine 4

Postby Dr. Delta on Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:21 pm

Armageddon wrote:
nub wrote:Aren't the tools for CE3 notorious for being a pain in the ass to work with? I know jack shit about it but I remember reading about it or something.

Yup, unless you have four studios with 100+ people working at each one then you can't make a decent game.

Of course, because that's obviously happening at Warhorse Studios, they need 400+ people to make that Kingdom Come: Deliverance prototype/alpha. Oh wait, no. They're just with 25. Try again ;)
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby nub on Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:22 am

Holy shit that game looks awesome...
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby kraid on Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:58 pm

Looking back at the updates they made during the lifetime of the current UDK, it won't be that easy to just pay $19 once and don't do regulary updates.

Just compare the first UDK Release to the current one - a lot of improvements.

I think $19/month/user is a fair price for ppl that actually going to release a game that brings them money, but for me as a hobby user who's only interrested in learning and improving my skills with 3d Game content a monthly charge is to expensive.

I hope there'll be a educational/hobbyists edition without source code but for free, just like the current UDK.
Goldeneye Source v4.2.3
get it now and play for FREE!!!
http://www.goldeneyesource.net
kraid
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Ale on Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:19 am

God it makes me want to get back into it, but i don't have any friends to do shit with, learn and create.. Makes me sad panda... Any oldtimers (or new) that would be interested ?
Ale
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby MrTwoVideoCards on Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:28 am

On the topic for CE3 versus UE4. CE3 is cool and all but it still lacks important documentation. It also doesn't have as big of a community surrounding it. Another prevalent issue is that basically unless you're making a game that's an fps, it's a little hard to go into the code and do crazy unique stuff. This is why there are almost zero indie games shipped on Cryengine, because a lot of those devs hit limitations in code, and when they'd contact Crytek about it, their reply was the bill to how much the full engine costed.
MrTwoVideoCards
Monothetic

Postby nub on Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:15 am

One thing about UE3 that I always liked was that unique "shine" the graphics always had in games that used the engine. Cryengine 3 has its own distinct "look" as far as the graphics go, but so far I'm liking the "look" of UE4 a lot more.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby nub on Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:17 am

Ale wrote:God it makes me want to get back into it, but i don't have any friends to do shit with, learn and create.. Makes me sad panda... Any oldtimers (or new) that would be interested ?

I would be if there were a free, non-commercial version available. But I can't afford to pay $20 a month right now. I've wanted to really get back in to the modding scene in a more serious manner for a while now, but Source is pretty much a lost cause.

I'm loving the editor for UE4 though...a lot...
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Ale on Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:49 am

nub wrote:
Ale wrote:God it makes me want to get back into it, but i don't have any friends to do shit with, learn and create.. Makes me sad panda... Any oldtimers (or new) that would be interested ?

I would be if there were a free, non-commercial version available. But I can't afford to pay $20 a month right now. I've wanted to really get back in to the modding scene in a more serious manner for a while now, but Source is pretty much a lost cause.

It is a little pricey indeed. Would be nice with a non-commercial version for sure. In regards to getting back into things, I don't even care which engine. Granted almost all of my experience is with Hammer, i have fiddled around with UE3, CE1-3 and Unity.
Ale
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby - Livewire - on Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:55 pm

nub wrote:

You're aware you can buy the subscription then cancel it right? I've paid £11.50 to have UE4. You can then pay again in like a years time to get the updates, and Source 2 is on it's way.
- Livewire -
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby ScarT on Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:08 pm

- Livewire - wrote:You're aware you can buy the subscription then cancel it right? I've paid £11.50 to have UE4. You can then pay again in like a years time to get the updates, and Source 2 is on it's way.

People coming up with the money excuse is holding off for other reasons. I can't see how $20 is a lot of money when its a one time thing if you want to.
ScarT

Postby MrTwoVideoCards on Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:43 pm

- Livewire - wrote:
nub wrote:

You're aware you can buy the subscription then cancel it right? I've paid £11.50 to have UE4. You can then pay again in like a years time to get the updates, and Source 2 is on it's way.

I seriously doubt Source 2 is going to be anywhere near as good as ue4 or ce3 is.
MrTwoVideoCards
Monothetic

Postby ScarT on Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:27 pm

Of course it isn't. It'll be something like Portal 2 with some fancy new shaders. It might be BSP based still but that's okay (UE4 is). Anything they'll throw out will be disappointing for modders (like full fledged mods, not hats and whatnot).
ScarT

Postby nub on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:25 am

- Livewire - wrote:You're aware you can buy the subscription then cancel it right? I've paid £11.50 to have UE4. You can then pay again in like a years time to get the updates, and Source 2 is on it's way.

So they don't care if I constantly stop my subscription and only pay another $20 whenever I feel the need to, then stop the subscription again? I figured they would consider that abusing the system and put something in place to prevent people from doing that.

And I'm not gonna hold my breath for Source 2 anymore. "On its way" in Valve time could mean literally anything. They haven't said much about it, let alone shown anything. At this rate, I'll be 6 feet under by the time they finally show us something.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ScarT on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:46 am

nub wrote:

So they don't care if I constantly stop my subscription and only pay another $20 whenever I feel the need to, then stop the subscription again? I figured they would consider that abusing the system and put something in place to prevent people from doing that.

Yes you could. They actually encourage it on their site.
ScarT

Postby nub on Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:34 am

ScarT wrote:Yes you could. They actually encourage it on their site.

Dropped the cash on it. Downloading the 7 gigs of assets as we speak. Was stupid to think the 50mb installer was all I needed to download.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion