Colour Correction

Tutorial collection, comprehensive listings on main site.

Colour Correction

Postby Tutorial on Fri May 11, 2007 6:49 pm

category
General Half-Life 2/Effects

description
A complete breakdown of how to adjust the colour in game and then use it in your maps.

keywords
color, colors, colour, colours, correction.

The latest versions of the Source Engine include a powerful set of color correction tools and entities that are sadly underused. In this tutorial I'll explain a practical use for one of these effects in a simple map.

1: Run the game you are planning to map for. In this tutorial I used HL2: DM. Most Valve Source games support Color Correction including CSS, DOD: S and the SourceSDK Base.

2: Open up Options->Video->Advanced and verify that your color correction effects are enabled ingame.

3: Load up a map and open the console. Type sv_cheats 1 and hit enter. Then type colorcorrectionui and hit enter. You should be seeing the color correction tools like this:

4: I started off by clicking the new button and creating a new Color Balance filter which I named Radiation. I tweaked the sliders in the 3 categories for shadows, highlights and midtones until I got enough green to satisfy the look I wanted.

5: Just like Photoshop or other image applications, you can layer as many filters on top of each other as you want.

I created a new Levels filter I called Contrast and started adjusting the blacks, whites and greys to make my radiation effect much more dramatic.

6: The final step at this stage is to save out our .RAW file. Click Save and you'll see a folder view for whatever game you are working with. Save your .RAW to ../materials/correction. This folder does not normally exist so you will most likely have to make it yourself.

7: Now we can enter Hammer. There are two entities Valve has provided for Color Correction, the color_correction point entity and the color_correction_volume entity. We'll focus on the volume for now.

I created a simple box map with a nice little slime river running through it. I also created a trigger brush surrounding this slime area and tied it to a color_correction_volume.

8: Most of the parameters for this entity are already pretty much set to go, we just want to point to our .RAW file and also tweak some of the fade values.

LookupFadeDuration is the speed in which the color correction will fade into view when you enter the brush. It has a very slow default speed of 10.0, which we don't want. We want our effect to fade in fast as soon as you enter the brush. So set this to something like 0.5 for a quick fade-in.

The LookupTableFilename is the actual path to the .RAW file. I set mine to materials/correction/radioactive.raw. Make sure your file is stored in the correct path for this to work properly.

StartDisabled should be set to No, because we want this entity to be working when we start the map.

9: Run your map and jump into the color_correction_volume. If you did everything correctly the effect should fade in very quickly and look exactly how you created it in the colorcorrectionui!

Additional Uses:

Alternatively you can go back into Hammer, delete the volume and use the color_correction point entity which adds this effect to the entire map. The parameters are basically the same as the color_correction_volume, feel free to experiment.

Hopefully this will give you a good idea how to use the color correction system in Source and also give you some creative new ideas for practical ways to use these effects.

-longshanks
- Don't send PM's to this user -
Tutorial
Not A Real User

Postby Knights on Fri May 11, 2007 11:36 pm

Finally someone mentions this awsome feature you can spend lots of time tweaking with. Good job on the tutorial.
Random gallery... Knights_Stuff.
Home page --> http://www.knights.interlopers.net/
Knights
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Mr. Happy on Fri May 11, 2007 11:38 pm

you spelled color wrong :P
-You've just been happified!?
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Blink on Fri May 11, 2007 11:51 pm

Mr Happy wrote:you spelled color wrong :P

Oh the sweet irony! That is going in my sig
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby Spas12 on Fri May 11, 2007 11:57 pm

Mr Happy wrote:you spelled color wrong :P

"color" and "colour" both are spelt correctly and mean the same thing. But colour was the original spelling. :wink:
Past Treyarch Level Designer

Portfolio
Spas12
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Mr. Happy on Sat May 12, 2007 12:15 am

I got sigged!
-You've just been happified!?
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Habboi on Sun May 13, 2007 9:43 pm

I want to be sigged :(

Well anyway this tutorial has been most handy! I gave it a go and found it hard to decide what kind of colour I liked. Very useful tool. Almost like dynamically changing the lighting in-game.
http://www.habboi.co.uk - Habboi's Portfolio

3D Art Director working on indie title "A Hat in Time" by Gears for Breakfast.
http://hatintime.com/
Habboi
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Sniggers on Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:05 pm

Schweet, thanks for this. I was thinking about colour correction last night for a few sections of my map.
Sniggers
Regular
Regular

Postby mastersmith98 on Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:22 am

is this available in hl2 sp? I can't seem to get an option for color correction in my video settings, and yes I have directx9.0
MaK: I pwnd that Hello World and Variables tutorials
MaK: Now I'm downloading the Direct X SDK
mastersmith98
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Ripper_hugme on Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:24 am

I don't think so, though it available for HL2ep1 I think.
Barely working on (I'm still very busy with real life):
cp_yettobenamed (Updated... Sort of)
dm_agoge (Beta 2 out now)
Ripper_hugme
Veteran
Veteran

Postby mastersmith98 on Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:36 am

hmmm, I wish I could map in ep1 but I get that stupid ai_disabled stuff, and I could never fix it
MaK: I pwnd that Hello World and Variables tutorials
MaK: Now I'm downloading the Direct X SDK
mastersmith98
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby kez.ini on Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:20 am

Color is American english word. Colour is British one :)
kez.ini
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Cycleswithin on Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:33 pm

This is a good tutorial for the basics, but it doesn't explain what each of the windows does.

What's 'Selected HSV' for instance?

I'm having trouble getting something worthwhile (for example a desaturated look) and I have lots of experience in Photoshop.
Cycleswithin
Regular
Regular

Postby KILLA-COW on Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:40 pm

Selected Hue Saturation and Value, play with them and you'll see what they do.

Hue gives everything a specific tinge of a colour. Saturation takes colour away or gives it more vibrant colour and values just kind of fiddles with the colour values I think, not sure, if I ever use value I only change it ever so slightly.
KILLA-COW
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Colour Correction

Postby snah on Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:52 pm

is there anyway of using a team_filter with this? i want only one team to have colour correction volumes visible. Any ideas?
snah

Next

Return to Tutorials