First Room

Tutorial collection, comprehensive listings on main site.

First Room

Postby Tutorial on Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:09 am

category
General Half-Life 2/Newbie

description
Noobie central this time, learn how to make your very own first room.

keywords
newb, noob, newbie, first, room.

First of all, you must open Hammer, so you can begin to map. The first time you open Hammer 4.0, it will automatically configure all the settings. This is a huge advantage to beginners, as setting up the previous Hammer was at least half the battle when it comes down to mapping.

Go to File > New then hold the "[" button until the grid size gets no smaller. This makes mapping a lot more accurate, (but your personal preference may vary here) and zoom in using the mouse wheel. You will see there are 4 different screens. In the top left view, click on the word camera and choose "3D Textured".

Select the tool for creating a brush Image and drag a box across a small section of the map and press the enter button, then adjust its size so that it's dimensions are 144x104x16 units as shown in the image below.

Don’t worry if you are using a different texture or if the texture doesn’t align. We are just trying to get the very basics done just now. Make another 3 brushes and arrange them so they look like this:

Make sure that all 4 brushes meet without any gaps or else there will be problems with compiling.

Next we need to make a floor by simply adding a 5th brush that covers the area between the 4 walls. Once again select the brush tool (brush.jpeg) and drag across the area shown in the pic below.

Your map should now look like the above image. We now need a player spawn, so select the entity tool (entity.jpeg) and click inside the walls. A box should appear. By default this entity will be called info_player_terrorist, which is the entity that we want right now. Your map should now look like the image below.

We now need to make a roof for this box room, so select the brush tool again (brush.jpeg) and drag across the upper section of the walls so it looks like the image below:

To complete the map we now need a light source, so select the entity tool (entity.jpeg) a click inside the box, but in the upper section. While the entity is highlighted, press alt+enter, which will bring up its properties. Where is says, "Class:" select "light" from the drop down menu. Select "Brightness" from the "keyvalues" menu and fill it in as shown below and press enter.

The 1st 3 digit number stands for Red, the 2nd for green, 3rd for blue and the 4th stands for the brightness. You will notice that the entity that you made a light is no longer displayed in the camera view as a box, but now look like a light bulb. The map is now ready for compiling, but before you begin to compile, make sure your Hammer Editor looks like the image below.

If it matches the above image, press F9. Doing this will cause the save box to appear. Call your map box_test and press save. You will then see the compile dialog box appear. Fill it out so it matches the image below then click on ok.

After pressing Ok, the compile window will appear. This shows the procedures that the tools are performing to compile your map. You will know that the process is finished because it will have "Copy to Clipboard" at the bottom. Your map is now complete. By default, Hammer will have created the .bsp file in this folder - C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\youraddy@your.host\sourcesdk\cstrike_sample_content\maps.

You need the map to be in this folder to be able to play it - C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\youraddy@your.host\counter-strike source\cstrike\maps.

You can edit where the .bsp file is generated to by going into Tools > Options, but if you are a beginner, it is advised that you just copy and paste the .bsp file to the appropriate folder.

To test the map, open Counter-Strike: Source, go to "Create Server" and select your map name. It should look like the image below in game.

Congratulations. Please note that this is a very basic map for beginners.

Related:
Example Map
- Don't send PM's to this user -
Tutorial
Not A Real User

Postby smeerkat on Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:42 pm

this thread should be a sticky. :)
smeerkat
Regular
Regular

Postby Grim Reaper on Sun May 15, 2005 10:05 am

Yeh it does!!!!

Nice, one thing, it is under the Half Life 2 tutorials, and you said by default the enitity is info_player_terrorist, when its actuallyinfo_player_start in half-life, and for very very new mappers, that can be confusing.
Mapper
jman wrote:Blocky, yet good.

Grim Reaper
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Location: Its this place, with air, and buildings, and there is lots of concrete...

Postby Sheep on Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:08 am

mabye im just stupid but i find that really hard and cant complete it. i dont get all the entity stuff i when i put the walls in i get no textures on the walls in the 3d view.i dont have a list of entitys, probably somthing ive missed.
cheers
Sheep

Postby wiggle987 on Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:28 pm

Get a prntscreen of your hammer worktop so I can get a look.
wiggle987
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Sheep on Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:41 pm

Sheep

Postby wiggle987 on Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:44 pm

Well the non textured view is an easy one, just click on the camera button in the top left of the 3D view and then a drop down menu will appear, simply select 3D Textured and bam, your textures will appear. As for the entity problem, I'm not entierly sure about it, I've never encountered that problem. It may be because of a faulty config or something, I'm not sure.

Also you appear to have the Half Life 1 textures.
wiggle987
Veteran
Veteran

Postby wiggle987 on Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:50 pm

Here, open up hammer with the Counter-Strike: Source configuration, then go to tools>options and make sure your configuration looks like mine.

wiggle987
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Sheep on Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:03 pm

were can i find the game data files ?
Sheep

Postby ferret on Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:03 pm

Wait, are you mapping for Source or Half Life 1? Your hammer looks like its editing for HL1 (which would also explain HL1 textures)
*** May the Source Be With You ***
ferret

Postby Blink on Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:09 pm

That is indeed HL1 setup
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby zombie@computer on Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:50 am

you need to download the newest hammer, that is 3.5 (or older) which cannot be used for hl2. jus topen steam, select sourcesdk and install it. once installed, youll find a menu there with a link to hammer 4.0
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Sheep on Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:24 am

ah thats what was wrong.
Sheep

Stupid files

Postby pow121 on Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:55 am

When i finished and did almost everything, The files, after pressing F9 and compiling were .lin and .vmf which is different than all the other maps. Also Instead of the Info_player_terrorist which didnt seem to exist on my comp i put Info_player_start. When i go to play the level on cs, it does show up on the create a server menu, but i click play and it acts as if i pressed close, PLEASE help me!
A wise person once said, "A stick is just a stick, not harming anyone, that is until someone comes and beats the hell out of you with it" So really, should be get rid of weapons? or people
pow121
Just Joined
Just Joined

Postby w00dbl0k on Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:15 pm

Thanks alot for this , really helped me out :D

Can you make a tutorial like this but more complex , i dont know where to go now ive done it.

Thanks.
w00dbl0k
Dumpling
Dumpling

Next

Return to Tutorials