Rain

Tutorial collection, comprehensive listings on main site.

Postby Signy on Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:29 am

Right think of the func_precipitation brush entity (the one covered in nodraw)

As a box which contain rains, rain does not fall out of that box or is it obstucted by other brush's. It simply rains in that box.

So if you have the func_precipitation entity clipping into say a build, it will rain inside the build, or atleast inside the func_precitipitation area clipping into the building.

also instad of using trigger texture, just hide the rain entity using vis groups, that way you wnt have any obsruction at all. Just make sure you un hide it when you compile.

Hope this has explaind how rain works, its not real rain it just hides in its box

:wink:

Sigs
Signy
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby serpent666 on Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:39 am

thanks for the quick reply!

unfortunatly its not realy doing that .. ive tried to have the rain box *mold* over the building .. but it still rains inside it...

also i have even just tried to have it only 1 square thick & hanging on the very top of the map... but it still rains inside the building :-(

PS: i have mine as the trigger texture... (this was recommended by a admin in the steampowerd forums) but ill try the nodraw now and see wat happens
serpent666
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Signy on Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:42 am

Well when i said rain in the box it means the the rain drops start from anywhere in the box, this could often be on the edge so a lil tiny bit leaks out if ya get me.

Try making the box like 8 units of the building surface.

O christ just read the rest of the post lol

Man thats weird.

I look into when i get the chance.

Sigs
Signy
Pheropod
Pheropod

Speed of rainfall.

Postby RaccoonKing on Wed May 18, 2005 2:18 pm

I don't know if anyone who would know is still looking at this thread, but I thought this might be a good place to ask,

I'd like to accelerate the speed at which the rain falls, it just looks slow-motion-ish to me.

Is there a way to do this without hacking a variable in the code (or would that be easier than a workaround)?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

--RK

PS: Thanks for the tut. It works.
RaccoonKing
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Ophidian on Sat May 21, 2005 6:46 pm

Man oh man... I'm sorry, I know nothing about the speed at which the rain falls, as that's not my dilema right now.

My problems is this: I can't make it rain through a hole in the ceiling. I've had the nodraw brush be a square going over the hole, but not intersecting any other brushes. That didn't work. I've made the nodraw brush the same shape as the hole, but still, not intersecting. Didn't work. I've put the nodraw brush in the hole, but not intersecting. I could see the rain, but it wasn't making it inside my building, it stopped at the part where the inside started. I moved the nodraw to below the hole, inside my main part of the map, and still, no rain. I'm about to kick the func_precipitation in the face. Any hints, clues, help, anything, would be most appreciated.
Ophidian
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby slayera on Sat May 21, 2005 7:06 pm

You try one long brush from the top of you map to the floor inside the building?

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." -Robert Pirsig
slayera
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Ophidian on Sat May 21, 2005 8:50 pm

No, but I'll give it a try, and post back.

EDIT

Okay, I put the brush from the top, all the way to the bottom, and it rains. That's cool, but now, I don't know how to make splashes in the water when the rain hits the waters surface. I've tried having the nodraw brush on top of the water, and even intersecting the water brush, and still no splashes. When I shoot the water with my pistol, that makes a splash, but the rain doesn't.
Ophidian
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby CrapinaBottle on Sat May 21, 2005 10:05 pm

raise the func_precipertation, it is probaly inside your building(the func_precipatation)
CrapinaBottle
Regular
Regular

Postby Ophidian on Sat May 21, 2005 10:15 pm

The func_precipitation has to be inside my building in order for it to rain inside the building. My situation is that I have a sewer for my map. I have a manhole or whatever you want to call it, and rain is coming in the sewer from the outside. But the rain isn't splashing.
Ophidian
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby slayera on Sat May 21, 2005 10:18 pm

You have to make your own water. It will not splash.

Like this-

http://forum.interlopers.net/viewtopic. ... ght=woohoo

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." -Robert Pirsig
slayera
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Ophidian on Sat May 21, 2005 10:37 pm

Buuuuut... I can't just do something like the splashes on Aztec with CS:S?
Ophidian
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby slayera on Sun May 22, 2005 4:22 am

Ophidian wrote:Buuuuut... I can't just do something like the splashes on Aztec with CS:S?

Then you will have to decompile it and find out how they did it. Could be the texture that rain falls on that rain sees as something it should splash on, but I guessing. I know for a fact it will not splash water.

slayera
Veteran
Veteran

Postby A1armedassailant on Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:39 pm

ive been able to add rain easily enough, thanks to this little tutorial, but im having a problem making it look like snow. it still looks like rain, and im getting this error in my console.
any ideas wht that means? it sounds to me like i dont have the image for snow. if thats the case. what do i do?
A1armedassailant
Regular
Regular

Postby nickmade on Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:03 pm

Verify your cache (Links on steam website)
nickmade
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby A1armedassailant on Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:04 pm

nickmade wrote:Verify your cache (Links on steam website)

ok i went HERE i clicked the link towards the bottom, and clicked on all the HL2 links that show up. i restarted steam and re-ran all of the games as directed by another part of the above link, and then reopened hammer. i reran my map, and am now getting this...
the errors towards the top reguarding the icons, i have always gotten :cry: but the rest of them are new. any thoughts?
A1armedassailant
Regular
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials