3D Skybox

Tutorial collection, comprehensive listings on main site.

Postby marnamai on Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:50 pm

Blink wrote:
marnamai wrote:I 've got a small problem with the shadows/lights in the 3D skybox. Now I know there has to be a extra light_environment in the skybox because both get lighted seperatly. Matching the fog and lights was no problem. But the shadows wont ... now I got those huge, black shadows casted by the props ... I tried increasing the lightmap scale on the floor of the 3D skybox but it didn't help.

How can I get my skybox shadows to match with the world shadows?

Are both light_environments facing the same way?

they are aprox at the same location, pitch is the same and pitch jaw roll is the same ...

EDIT: well its only on models and I am not planning in using anymodels in that skybox anyway ... so it isn't too big of a problem.

Anyway, what does the blend option for the fog do? mix the secondary and primary color or mix the fog and skybox fog?
marnamai
Veteran
Veteran

Postby DarkOmen on Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:27 am

I'm having a problem with the 3d skybox. It's not surrounding my playable land, instead the 3d skybox is being shown in the distance.

Here are screenshots to show what I mean:

There should be hills and trees, but only the sky shows:

On the other side you can see the rear of the 3d skybox but it is misplaced:

Any idea what i'm doing wrong here? I've followed the instructions as carefully as I could but the same problem keeps reocurring.

Thanks.
DarkOmen
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby marnamai on Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:37 am

you probably moved you skycamera

* delete your 3D skybox + camera
* make a new sky_camera at 0 0 0 (center of the map)
* build your new skybox around your existing map
* select stuff that needs to go into the 3D skybox INCLUDING your sky_camera, move it away from your world, group it
* don't copy, just scale at 0.0625 (x y z via transform/scale)

This way is the most clean I know. DO not mess with your sky_camera after you builded your skybox geometry.
marnamai
Veteran
Veteran

Postby DarkOmen on Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:46 am

Worked great! Thanks a lot. :-D
DarkOmen
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Hydra on Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:38 am

If I rememember correctly, one thing that's important that can cause some odd problems (like seeing the physical 3d skybox while running around in the map - like seeing it projected off in the distance) is make sure you only have 1 skycamera. It should only be in your 3d skybox and not in the playing area.
Hydra
Regular
Regular

Postby theblahman on Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:26 am

sorry if this is a bump or something but is it possible to say have a house in the 3D skybox, but have smoke rising from it?
I design (v4.1 released 23/2) and Tweet.
theblahman
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Hydra on Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:48 am

If it's a sprite, yes, you can. You'll just need to scale the sprite down as well. BUT, if you have fog in the map, that may affect its visibility. I've had a few problems with that and had to do some minor adjusting to get it just right.
Hydra
Regular
Regular

Postby theblahman on Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:07 am

ok cool. thanks Hydra.
I design (v4.1 released 23/2) and Tweet.
theblahman
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Onam on Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:21 pm

Bah that link is no longer available :( I need help creating Skyboxes don't understand the first thing about them :x
Onam
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Hydra on Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:17 am

Actualy the reason I said "if it's a sprite, yes" is because models aren't scaled down in the 3d skybox and you'll need a model at the same scale as the 3d skybox to look proportionate to the rest.

Oh, and Onam, start w/ 2D skyboxes first and then try learning the 3D one. It can be a pain at times - especialy when dealing with fog (which I can never seem to get to work right, it always ends up weird).
Hydra
Regular
Regular

Postby dangerdan on Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:27 pm

how do you do the palm trees like in de_dust maps?

i decompiled them and it looks like they use sky_camera but i dont understand how you would place the palms on the palm trees.

if anyone knows could they briefly explain the process from start to finish assuming i JUST have my map & its skybox.
dangerdan

Postby Grantax on Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:36 pm

It doesn't seem like everyone understands WHY sky_camera has to be put in the middle, I didn't understand it either the first time I was told to just do it, and not why I should. (So I skipped that part because it seemed unlogical to first put it one place and move it)

Later I understood that the sky_camera is a reference of the middle point of the map for the rest of the 3D skybox.
Grantax
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby kccool2 on Mon May 21, 2007 6:27 pm

Awesome tut, did this straight away, and it worked perfectly first time. Keep up the awesome work man! And thankyou, now my maps look SWEET!! :D
kccool2

Postby belboz on Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:11 pm

You can put the sky_camera anywhere but as it represents the origin of the grid in the editor, you need to build the map the player wanders around in, near to the origin of the editor grid as thats where the sky_camera projects the 3d skybox from.
belboz
Dumpling
Dumpling

Re: 3D Skybox

Postby Justible on Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:26 am

I was wondering if it was possible to make two separate skyboxes. I'm guessing no but I can hope, can't I?
Justible
Dumpling
Dumpling

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials