Prop_door_rotating

Tutorial collection, comprehensive listings on main site.

Prop_door_rotating

Postby Tutorial on Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:35 am

category
General Half-Life 2/Entities

description
One of the easiest ways to make a door, but also the best looking. This model comes with a moveable handle.

keywords
prop, door, rotating, prop_door_rotating, doors.

Prop_door_rotating

This entity allows you to add a rotating door with moving handle or bar, you will have seen them littered around HL2:

They are very easy to add, so to start off with you will require a frame for them to sit in. Now the doors themselves are 48x108 so you will need a frame this big to fit them in.

Handily the door dev texture gives you the measurements so by using that as a guide you can create yourself a frame.

So once you have created a frame and textured it choose the prop_door_rotating entity and place it in your map. You will need to select the model that it uses in the World Model field and this can be found: models/props_c17/door01_left.mdl

There are a few fields to be aware of:

Name: Obviously if you want to trigger it add a name, but if you have double doors and you want them to open together give them the same name and this will allow them to open at the same time no matter what one is opened.

Skin: There are quite a few skins to choose from, place a number in here like 4 for example to change the skin. Find one that suits your area.

Spawn Position: Here you can have it open or shut and also Ajar. If you do choose Ajar then you will have to depict how open you want it by using the Ajar Angles field.

Hardware Type Lever is the default is the handle, push bar is a metal bar across one side of the door with a handle on the other side.

In the Flags section choosing Locked will cause the handle to wobble and play a locked sound.

Few things to remember:

If you want a NPC to open the door then the handle will have to their left so that it open away from them, otherwise allow room for the door to swing towards them.

If you want a locked door to seal the world then place a brush covered in nodraw behind the door.

You can unlock & lock doors via the Input system, it will need to be unlocked even if you choose the Open input.

That is all

Blink
- Don't send PM's to this user -
Tutorial
Not A Real User

Postby mad_ferrit on Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:12 am

Excellent :-D
mad_ferrit
Regular
Regular

Postby BaRRaKID on Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:41 am

just to say that not all prop doors, have those dimensions, the combine doors are bigger, for example
I've no sign
BaRRaKID
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Blink on Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:52 am

That's why I referred to that model only, plus it's fairly obvious when a door is bigger.
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby BaRRaKID on Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:56 am

Blink wrote:plus it's fairly obvious when a door is bigger.
well not always (says the guy who spent 30minutes trying to place a door) :P
I've no sign
BaRRaKID
Veteran
Veteran

Postby RabidGoat on Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:04 am

In an effort to give something back to the community I went ahead and tested door skins #0 - #13 and wrote a short description of each one. I hope this can be used as a reference guide of sorts......

#0 - Default Skin - Gray door

#1 - old white door with boarded up window (square)

#2 - nice looking wooden door

#3 - old blue door with boarded up window (square)

#4 - plain gray metal door

#5 - plain faded blue metal door

#6 - plain bright blue metal door

#7 - worn gray metal door

#8 - metal door with small boarded up window (verticle rectangle)

#9 - rusty, beat-up metal door with small boarded up window (verticle rectangle)

#10 - top half white/ bottom half burnt looking with boarded up window (square)

#11 - plain white door, nice looking

#12 - metal door with slide viewer (as seen in movies in the back alley of a mafia hideout)??

#13 - very nice wooden door

I think thats all of them, I tried 14, but it looked the same as the default door. I hope this will save atleast one person some time!!

Your friendly neiborhood Hammer n00b
-Rabid Goat :?
RabidGoat
Regular
Regular

door01_left.mdl missing?

Postby davey on Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:07 pm

I don't have door01_left.mdl in my props directory. Sorry I didn't find this tutorial very helpful and still can't make a door properly. I've seen a lot of tutorials on different web sites that try to explain things but half the time they miss out stuff. What's needed is a step by step guide with pics, assume the end user knows nothing. I do appreciate the tutorials to a degree but become very frustrating when only half of what's needed is said. For instance, do I cut the black out around the picture of the door? What about the doors that have extra texture around the top edge and right edge, where is that supposed to go? What about the side of the door, looks silly if the face texture is on the edge. Please someone do a tutorial with EVERY step needed to creat a door with frame that works and looks correct.
davey

Postby Blink on Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:30 pm

If you loaded the model which IS in the c17 folder then all your questions would be answered, there is no half of anything missed out.
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby davey on Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:26 pm

THe model is NOT in the folder, any models that show up are marked with a pic of mdl, there are loads of jpg ones and a couple of mdl ones but not the dl you are talkinga about.
davey

Postby Blink on Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:35 pm

Yes it is in there m8, I have given you the path, the files end in jpg because they are a preview. Perhaps just try clicking it and then asking questions?

Made it nice and clear for you m8
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby davey on Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:58 pm

You didn't mention that before that it shows up after you've clicked on it. Ok perhaps I should have clicke don it before but then I wan't looking for a jpg file. I added it to the map as you said and I got an Engine error, prop_door with no model at.... What have you forgot to tell me? And why can't I just click on the texture door I've made and just select the to entity button?
davey

Postby Blink on Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:01 am

So once you have created a frame and textured it choose the prop_door_rotating entity and place it in your map. You will need to select the model that it uses in the World Model field and this can be found: models/props_c17/door01_left.mdl

If you follow that step and the door model appears in editor, then it will work in engine.

And you can tie a block to an entity and make it a normal door, no-one said you couldn't. Prop doors look better.
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby davey on Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:03 am

Why is it when I look in my different folders in the valve directory I see black pics but no actual objects but the pic you show above shows the objects.
davey

Postby Blink on Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:07 am

Probably an error, AcX had it earlier today. No idea how to fix it but it's not functioning correctly m8.
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby davey on Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:13 am

One last thing on the door, I have the door in the map and tested it and it worked but I don't want that door, how can I change it to a different door texture or different model?
davey

Next

Return to Tutorials