Alternate Zombies in Your Mod

Tutorial collection, comprehensive listings on main site.

Re: Alternate Zombies in Your Mod

Postby Corewarp on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:42 am

Jordash wrote:What do you mean "you people" :P

No ones saying you can simply set it in hammer, what we're saying is there is a way to code it so the mapper may select it from hammer. Rather than relying on a coder to change the code everytime a new model is added.

Mappers will probably find this way is much nicer for them

This is from the combine_s code I mentioned, it probably will need some fiddling to get it working with the zombie npc, but its something to get people started

in ::Precache() put
Code: Select all
const char *pModelName = STRING( GetModelName() );
PrecacheModel( STRING( GetModelName() ) );

in the set model bit put
SetModel( STRING( GetModelName() ) );

maybe this as well to avoid issues
   if( !GetModelName() )
   {
      SetModelName( MAKE_STRING( "models/zombie/classic.mdl" ) );
   }

in the FDG
model(studio) : "Model"

or

model(choices) : "Model" : "models/zombie/classic.mdl" : "RegularZombie" =
   [
      "models/zombie/classic.mdl" : "RegularZombie"
      "models/zombie/classic_2.mdl" : "DifferentZombie"
   ]

Useless comment is useless. If you think that your shit would be better than mine then write a new tutorial. Фуууууууу.
Corewarp
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Jordash on Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:37 am

Oxymoron much?
Jordash
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Corewarp on Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:51 am

Jordash wrote:Oxymoron much?

This is a tutorial on how to make the npc_zombie use different models.

This is one way on how to do it. I didn't see any other tutorial(s) showing you how to do this so i wrote my version. It's not the best, but it fucking works. So please seize with the stupid comments on how to improve it because this is:
1. for the npc_zombie only
2. I'm not writing a new one or editing this one
Corewarp
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Jordash on Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:59 pm

Yes it is a tutorial on one way. I was suggesting one of the many other possible ways to achieve the same thing.

I'm aware that the tutorial "fucking works" and its the only one covering the subject. That being said, since the tutorial already exists, I'm not going to write a new one, yours is perfectly fine, and I can't see any comments saying it should be written again or you should edit it.

Someone reading the tutorial could follow it exactly, or someone interested enough to read on could decide whether they want to try a different approach. The thing is its their choice, slandering my idea as stupid doesn't help anyone unless you have a reason. Both ways have their merits, yours is easier to follow, mine way would require previous knowledge and experimentation before it would work. Copying the code I posted would result in no doubt a bunch of errors, but as I said, its a start. I'll say again, I don't want you to change anything in yours.

In good modding communities, people give constructive comments on tutorials, maps, models, you name it. It hinders that community spirit when people flame anyone who has an idea which isn't exactly the same as theirs. If another coder joined this topic and added new idea into the mix, I would be happy, the point of a tutorial is to educate others, the more ideas the better.

I also didn't say anything about it being for not the npc_zombie, I did say the code from the combine_s would be useful, but that is completely different to your interpretation. It seems like a lot of your frustration is caused by misunderstanding, I assure you I was only trying to help and not upset you... except for the oxymoron bit, I was a bit irritated then

And I won't cease my comments, because they aren't stupid, they are constructive.
Jordash
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Corewarp on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:40 pm

Jordash wrote:Yes it is a tutorial on one way. I was suggesting one of the many other possible ways to achieve the same thing.

I'm aware that the tutorial "fucking works" and its the only one covering the subject. That being said, since the tutorial already exists, I'm not going to write a new one, yours is perfectly fine, and I can't see any comments saying it should be written again or you should edit it.

Someone reading the tutorial could follow it exactly, or someone interested enough to read on could decide whether they want to try a different approach. The thing is its their choice, slandering my idea as stupid doesn't help anyone unless you have a reason. Both ways have their merits, yours is easier to follow, mine way would require previous knowledge and experimentation before it would work. Copying the code I posted would result in no doubt a bunch of errors, but as I said, its a start. I'll say again, I don't want you to change anything in yours.

In good modding communities, people give constructive comments on tutorials, maps, models, you name it. It hinders that community spirit when people flame anyone who has an idea which isn't exactly the same as theirs. If another coder joined this topic and added new idea into the mix, I would be happy, the point of a tutorial is to educate others, the more ideas the better.

I also didn't say anything about it being for not the npc_zombie, I did say the code from the combine_s would be useful, but that is completely different to your interpretation. It seems like a lot of your frustration is caused by misunderstanding, I assure you I was only trying to help and not upset you... except for the oxymoron bit, I was a bit irritated then

And I won't cease my comments, because they aren't stupid, they are constructive.

tl;dr.

Just kidding i read it all. Sorry for being a dick, i was in school and only had a few minutes to reply and i was reading your comments and critizism as bashing my tutorial.

I don't really want comments for this one, but if you'd snoop around the Submit tutorials section of the forums and take a look at my "Batteries for flashlight" tut, i'd appreciate some comments on that. Good or bad, since i kinda feel it was abit of a haxy way to implement it. I mean it works perfectly fine, but there might've been a better and cleaner way to do it.

Either way, Thanks and Sorry for being a dick.
Corewarp
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Major Banter on Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:17 pm

Glad you two sorted it out.

Try and keep the tutorial comments clean, particularly because they're the most viewed thing on the site.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby andy4729 on Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:22 pm

Ok, I tried to follow this tutorial. I am a programming noob which probably doesn't help. Anyway, I edited all the code in the cpp file and tried to compile. VS told me the Server (HL2) was out of date so I had to build it. I built it and got like 7 errors in various files which I haven't edited. I am doing this in VS2010 so I thought that mgiht be why it hasn't worked. True?
We're squatting in a system that consistently stalls
andy4729
Regular
Regular

Postby stukabomber44 on Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:54 am

I'm a total noob when it comes to coding... I went to the links and I was just thinking, where the hell do i go... can someone please tell me step by step how to set this visual c++ 2010 properly?
stukabomber44
Regular
Regular

Postby Jordash on Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:56 am

Jordash
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Previous

Return to Tutorials