Detail Sprites

Tutorial collection, comprehensive listings on main site.

Re: Detail Sprites

Postby boing on Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:46 am

Shrub1
{
sprite "0 0 128 205 512"
spritesize "0.5 1 16 32"
spriterandomscale .2
spriteorentation 2
amount .1
sway 0
maxangle 95

there must be an error with either the Sprite line or the spritesize. play arround with the first two numbers of each line.
boing

Postby Kubata on Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:02 pm

I'll check it out, I appreciate the reply
"You can have all the cool effects and the latest technology, but if you don't nail that 30 seconds of fun, you're not gonna have a great game." - Jaime Griesemer
Kubata
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Kubata on Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:36 am

So I played around with these values and can't seem to get them to actually appear ABOVE the displacement, but I can get the positioning of them below the ground to change. So, I think there seems to be some other issue here.
"You can have all the cool effects and the latest technology, but if you don't nail that 30 seconds of fun, you're not gonna have a great game." - Jaime Griesemer
Kubata
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Kubata on Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:56 am

Fix'd
So the simplest solution to custom sprites is to use the original HL2 detail sprite material as a template and paint your own plants or rocks or whatever you want. The coordinates are already defined - otherwise you run into huge problems.
Kubata
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby boing on Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:16 am

Kubata wrote:Fix'd
So the simplest solution to custom sprites is to use the original HL2 detail sprite material as a template and paint your own plants or rocks or whatever you want. The coordinates are already defined - otherwise you run into huge problems.

nice
boing

Postby Major Banter on Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:59 am

Detail sprites are a long, slow, boring process to make them functional. It's a matter of trial and error.

Fact is, just keep trying and you'll eventually get it right.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Previous

Return to Tutorials