Door Ways

Tutorial collection, comprehensive listings on main site.

Postby angrykid on Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:51 am

it's not working,how do I clip properly?
angrykid

Postby Watever on Wed May 10, 2006 4:58 am

I am doing my first map right now.

The door work great, but the inside frame look really ugly. Wich texture was added inside the door frame ? I can't find one that look nice. Or may be I did something wrong ?

Also, is there any skin for door that have a window ? Can't seem to find any, there is only 15 skin ?

If I want a window, I suppose I have to use the old way of doing it with an origin brush ?
Watever

Postby Alminie on Wed May 10, 2006 5:13 am

Watever wrote:I am doing my first map right now.

The door work great, but the inside frame look really ugly. Wich texture was added inside the door frame ? I can't find one that look nice. Or may be I did something wrong ?

Also, is there any skin for door that have a window ? Can't seem to find any, there is only 15 skin ?

If I want a window, I suppose I have to use the old way of doing it with an origin brush ?

you can use the textures for a door and clip the parts you want to add a window into and select all the brushes and tie it to the func_door entity.
Alminie
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby MercX on Wed May 10, 2006 5:17 am

no more origin brushes in source, either; now there are helpers. they are the little circles you can drag in the 2d view. you can either make your own window or better yet use a prop, which is really the best way to go in source.
Age of Chivalry Dev Team.
MercX
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Khaos05 on Wed May 24, 2006 6:52 am

ok...i'm having slight problems making the doors/frames. Let me get this straight:

you make a hole 112 high and 56 wide. You add the frame enough to make the whole 108 high and 48 wide (i.e. 4 unit frame). Then you make a brush 108 high and 48 wide. Apply door texture to door. select all the pieces of frame and apply door texture (as one). My walls are 16 units wide and my doors are 2 unites wide. I can never get the texture to line up properly though. One tutorials says to click fit and it doesn't work either. Are my walls too thick? Is my door too thin?

Don't know if this matters, but if I make a block 112x56 (2 units wide) and apply the orange door measurement texture and click fit it doesn't fit like it does in most tutorials.

I've read 5+ tutorials on doors and door frames and watched at least 2 video tutorials, yet I cannot get the textures to fit. The size/mechanics of the doors work fine...it's just the texture alignment. The tutorials make it seem so easy.."make it 108x48, apply texture, and click fit"...i'm always having to play w/ texture scale and x/y coordinates to make it fit....
Khaos05
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Blink on Wed May 24, 2006 1:04 pm

Don't fit the texture, just apply it and Press L and B in the justify part.
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby Khaos05 on Wed May 24, 2006 8:17 pm

ok...so if i do it the way i explained and don't fit just align it will work? After I manually adjust, the door doesn't seem to hard to visually line up...it's the door frames that especially never look right...
Khaos05
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Dragon1037 on Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:08 pm

how does the prop_door_rotating work? i get this purple square, and when i try to resize it, it just moves it, it fits in the door and when i let go of the mouse button it just moves to the center of where i resized it.
Dragon1037

Postby Alminie on Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:16 pm

Dragon1037 wrote:how does the prop_door_rotating work? i get this purple square, and when i try to resize it, it just moves it, it fits in the door and when i let go of the mouse button it just moves to the center of where i resized it.

you can't resize props in hammer, your best bet is to just move it till it fits right thats what we all do..
Alminie
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Dragon1037 on Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:02 pm

how do i know if it fits just right?
Dragon1037

Re: Door Ways

Postby KevinSeghetti on Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:51 pm

Thanks for the tutorial, it was more clear than the other door tutorials I found.

The part that confused me, as a new Hammer user, was:
Clip (Shift-X) around the door, ensuring you leave all parts of the wall intact, do this by pressing Shift-X until it shows both brushes as solid white.

Having used other 3D packages, this led me to believe the clip tool could build up a complex shape to clip out. (cutting a hole in the wall, leaving the wall as a single object).

Adding something like the following would have helped me:

This is done by cutting the wall into 3 pieces: left of the door, right of the door, and over the door (assuming your door touches the floor). (the clip tool just cuts a single object into 2 objects using a plane)

I think interlopers should use a wiki like the valve developer community does, so that these sorts of improvements can be made directly to the tutorial.
KevinSeghetti
Just Joined
Just Joined

Postby Blink on Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:41 pm

KevinSeghetti wrote:Thanks for the tutorial, it was more clear than the other door tutorials I found.

The part that confused me, as a new Hammer user, was:
Clip (Shift-X) around the door, ensuring you leave all parts of the wall intact, do this by pressing Shift-X until it shows both brushes as solid white.

Having used other 3D packages, this led me to believe the clip tool could build up a complex shape to clip out. (cutting a hole in the wall, leaving the wall as a single object).

Adding something like the following would have helped me:

This is done by cutting the wall into 3 pieces: left of the door, right of the door, and over the door (assuming your door touches the floor). (the clip tool just cuts a single object into 2 objects using a plane)

I think interlopers should use a wiki like the valve developer community does, so that these sorts of improvements can be made directly to the tutorial.

If you head into the video tutorial section, you will find a tutorial on Connecting Two Rooms, this also covers the Clip and Vertex process in even more detail.

:-)
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby Thatguy on Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:15 am

Ok, ive tried like a hundred times, but no matter what i cannot get the door frame texture right......
Thatguy
Just Joined
Just Joined

Postby Forrunner on Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:48 pm

Good point but for more realism try to keep walls realistically thin. I go with 8 unit walls and my door trims always have a full casing and not just a texture that looks like casing flush with the wall texture. Remember that real door trim sticks out about a 1/4" to 1/2" from the actual wall itself. Also always remember to use miter joints on trim and always func_detail the whole thing.
Forrunner
Just Joined
Just Joined

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:57 pm

If you are aiming for a full trim, go for a model-based trim (like Left 4 Dead, for example). Don't use brushes, it just isn't really worth the time and effort IMO. Plus, if you are determined to use brush-based trim, make it a non-solid so the player does not clip on the brushes as he is walking along a wall. Same goes for window trim, handrails on stairwells, etc, that way the player doesn't go full retard bumping into or standing on top of a 1-unit brush sticking out of the wall.

either way, nice necro-bump.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials