Here are the rules that apply to every map battle. Specific rules are added in the thread for each battle when needed.
A Map Battle is a contest in which each mapper has to do the most visually appealing scene according to a given theme.
The battle is divided in two stages, first is the development of the maps, and the second the vote.
The design section moderator will attempt to start the battle's development stage at the 1st of the month. The development stage lasts for approximately 3 weeks, followed by a voting round of roughly 1 week.
In some cases a battle theme vote will precede the development stage, allowing the moderater to obtain some insight into the likings of possible contestants. This vote is not binding.
Once the last stage is finished the first 3 scored mappers will be given a score of 10, 9 and 8 according to their position, the rest are given a score by the administrator from 7.5 to 0. This scores are then update on the global ranking.
- The map has to follow the theme given for each battle.
- The map must be made in any official game for the source engine, this includes: Half-Life 2, Half-Life: Source, Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, Half-Life 2: Episode 1, Half-Life 2: Episode 2, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, Portal, Portal 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Day Of Defeat: Source and Half-Life: Lost Coast.
- You can use maps that you had already made, but that have never been used in any of the other battles. When using an already made map, be sure that it fits with the theme, so that you don't get disqualified. Previous work is permitted only if the work is comprehensively revised to make it an appropriate map battle entry, and to make it appropriate to the theme, and ensuring it complies with the other rules. If your previous work is likely to be controversial or you're unsure it suits the theme well enough, contact the battle administrator in advance
- You can use custom content. When using custom content which you did not made, make sure you have permission to use it.
- The map can be made by more then one person, however the points given will be divided by the number or mappers involved in the map using the formula NumPoints/NumMappers+2, to give a more fair score to everyone.
- The maps are judged according to their visual quality, so make them look the best you can.
- The maps don't need to be playable. You just have to create a scene which is visually good, not a full playable map, so don't worry about stuff like optimization, or gameplay.
- Keep in the spirit of things and show off your work in progress shots.
- Work In Progress and Final screenshots have to be posted on the appropriate thread for each battle.
- Mappers can only post 3 final screenshots, and as many wip screenshots as they want. When posting the final screenshots always provide a direct link to them instead of a thumbnail, or any other sort of link.
- When posting your screenshots always explain if they are final or wip. If you don't label your screenshots as final, they won’t be accepted.
- The final screenshots most be taken in-game with proper light (no full-bright please), and textured. This means, finish your map before posting it!
Usage of extra software:
- Usage of Garry’s mod to take screenshots, and to place ragdolls/npcs, or props (especially props) is forbidden. Only the map is taken in consideration, so making this won't help you much.
- Additional mods, which in some way allow you to have an unfair advantage (by providing additional visual features for example), are strictly forbidden.
- You can't use any kind of image/photo manipulation software to enhance your screenshots. You can however use them to crop/resize the images, add your name/e-mail/site/etc and add a frame/logo.
- Any type of 3d and 2d software is allowed to use in order to create custom content for the map.
Any author of a map which is suspected of not following the rules will be contacted by an administrator using a private message requiring the original vmf file and all the content used. If the author does not provide the map in one week after the request he will be disqualified.
note: rules marked in green have been added or changed on 15-Aug-08 by Jester
note: rules/additions marked in red have been added or updated on 26-jun-10 by 904
Last edited by 904
on Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:32 am, edited 7 times in total.
Reason: added portals and l4d2 to the allowed list, plus added info about the timing of the battles
I've no sign