Map Battle 31 - Gate [Template]

Your chance to get creative and take part in the various design challenges

Moderators: 904, Zecrah

Re: Map Battle 31 - Gate [Template]

Postby Jest@ on Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:15 pm

Noodles wrote:Jest - I was having a look at the rules for the map competition and wanted to ask if I might be allowed to use my mod's (Stargate Legacy) hammer configuration to create my map entry. The only reason I ask this is that it is the only thing I have that I can map for that supports Ep2 content - and so the only way I can achieve HDR lighting, high end water effects (which is integral to my idea) etc. I know the rules say you have to use standard games, but was hoping an exception could be made - I also don't understand how using a mod could change the quality of a map? I'd be using my own textures and models anyway (apart from HL2 content of course), and HL2 standard entities.

EDIT: Having taken a look, it appears that I could probably map for Ep2/TF2 etc, but as I don't own the games anymore I wouldn't be able to run the map. So it's either using SGL or an Ep1 game such as CS:S/HL2

Hmmm...Yeah, I suppose. So long as there are no mod features that give an unfair advantage (i.e. if there's any mod programming that would allow you to do things other people couldn't) - or at least, you don't use those features. The idea behind the rule is that the engine and build environment is a level playing field. Sound like, even though you'll technically be mapping in a different 'environment' than others, you'll not have an unfair advantage because of it, so yes, it's fine.
Highlight to read:
It was earth all along
Jest@
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Jangalomph on Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:31 pm

Here are a few wips.. It looks pretty good to me, by far the best mountain side Ive ever done so far :D
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Armageddon on Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:33 pm

Wow! That's gonna look awesome!
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Jangalomph on Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:36 pm

Armageddon wrote:Wow! That's gonna look awesome!

Thanks, The train wont show the light, its black. but i can fix it.. and another thing, Jest do i HAVE to have the circle's/round parts at the end of the template? because i cant find a use for it since its going into the mountain side :oops:
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Zipfinator on Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:23 pm

jangalomph wrote:Thanks, The train wont show the light, its black. but i can fix it.. and another thing, Jest do i HAVE to have the circle's/round parts at the end of the template? because i cant find a use for it since its going into the mountain side :oops:

The train is black because most of it is inside the mountain which is dark. Use an info_lighting named "train" or something, then in lighting info or info_lighting parameter (I can't remember the exact name in the model properties) on the train model, put "train" or whatever you named your info_lighting.
|Pipe Dream|City 17: Episode 1|
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Jangalomph on Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:33 pm

Zipfinator wrote:
jangalomph wrote:Thanks, The train wont show the light, its black. but i can fix it.. and another thing, Jest do i HAVE to have the circle's/round parts at the end of the template? because i cant find a use for it since its going into the mountain side :oops:

The train is black because most of it is inside the mountain which is dark. Use an info_lighting named "train" or something, then in lighting info or info_lighting parameter (I can't remember the exact name in the model properties) on the train model, put "train" or whatever you named your info_lighting.

Ok, I will try that soon. :wink:
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Jangalomph on Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:25 pm

Here are some more screenshots guys, these are STILL pretty much mega wip! Expect ALOT more details, and what not. I'm gonna try to give this my best this time :D

Last edited by Jangalomph on Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Armageddon on Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:33 pm

Are you sure that's a WIP because it looks even more awesome!
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Jangalomph on Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:46 pm

Armageddon wrote:Are you sure that's a WIP because it looks even more awesome!

Thank you. Im Absolutely positive that it is a WIP Sir. :-D

I just wish we could post more than 3 screens on finals.
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby vcool on Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:08 pm

Why don't you just compile on expert using Valve's new per polygon lighting? Then you'll have a nice lighting gradient, instead of the rails being either black, or lit in darkness.

Add this to VRAD compile params on Expert compile: "-StaticPropLighting -StaticPropPolys -TextureShadows" without the ""s naturally.

Neighborhood Forum Elitist
vcool
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Jangalomph on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:14 am

vcool wrote:Why don't you just compile on expert using Valve's new per polygon lighting? Then you'll have a nice lighting gradient, instead of the rails being either black, or lit in darkness.

Add this to VRAD compile params on Expert compile: "-StaticPropLighting -StaticPropPolys -TextureShadows" without the ""s naturally.

Alright, I will try that. Thanks.

And out of sheer goodness.. i felt like making a video.

Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby oMeSSiaHo on Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:33 pm

Why is there rock on the inside of the concrete?
oMeSSiaHo

Postby chevasbr on Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:40 am

jangalomph wrote:
vcool wrote:Why don't you just compile on expert using Valve's new per polygon lighting? Then you'll have a nice lighting gradient, instead of the rails being either black, or lit in darkness.

Alright, I will try that. Thanks.

And out of sheer goodness.. i felt like making a video.

awsome..
one day i will make maps just like this ;) :wink:
Keep your signature image to a sensible size.
chevasbr

Postby Jangalomph on Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:07 am

oMeSSiaHo wrote:Why is there rock on the inside of the concrete?

Good point, I shall change that if you were talking to me.
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Vorneus on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:11 pm

I think it's looking good, jangalomph, but I certainly don't think it's rave-worthy as quite a few others seem to. I find the whole scene to be a bit.. hmm. It's very enclosed, and there is a LOT going on, I actually find it difficult to see exactly what structures are part of what, and exactly what is going on in the shot. I don't feel the screenshots have been composed very well with regards to balance. Yes, I realise it's wip, but I'm just saying. The screenshots are taken so close to a tight mash of props and geometry, I can't even figure out where the other end of the bridge goes - it seems to just go straight into a rock face. I just find the scene really unrealistic, but maybe it's just me that can't figure out what it is exactly. If you'd care to elaborate on what the parts of the shot actually ARE. Like the corrugated metal.. hut (?) thing with two fires inside it, and that very long scaffold mast extending upwards.. and the very neat stack of barrels next to a lot of wrecked cars on top.. is this just me that finds the whole scene a bit random?

But anyway, since the shots aren't final, the only real "wip" feedback I can give you is to alter your fog settings. The screenshot below is a prime example:

jangalomph wrote:Image

-Ed
It's all about the atmosphere.

-Portfolio-

Current project: de_fusion (I'll finish it someday, probably)
Vorneus
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

PreviousNext

Return to Design Section