No votes
Shred
3%
Zipfinator
14%

Total votes : 102

Re: Map Battle 33 - Vote & Final Images

Postby Australian Bushman on Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:32 am

I like the look of 3dnj's abandoned house map, looks really spooky! I'd love to have a game in that. The idea is good but unfortunately a lot of crucial detail is lost in the dark, making for some not-so-attractive final shots. I'd love to see it under proper lighting though :)

I like Aus_Karlos' shots. The detail is very good but the concept didn't have much of an impact on me. :)

I thought my idea was a good idea of abandonment and I'm happy with the results of my first two shots, however I don't think I captured the drama and scale of the idea effectively enough :)

Daz,'s very cool shot! Looks nice. Perhaps not showing off enough of your concept though :)

I liked the surreal idea of Deathbagel's. It was unique, but I think more detail in the map and textures and lighting would make it more effective :)

Ilkimys and I seemed to have a similar idea. I like the idea and it was smartly pulled off (simple mapping) but some more play with the lighting, background (sky, fog?), and composition would make the shots look a lot more dramatic and attractive.

IneptGuard's abandoned shed (am I right?) looks very good, but the concept isn't clear enough :)

jangalomph's map looks cool. I like the detail that's done realistically yet simply (ie; the cracks in the ceiling and floor). It's not too detailed in areas where much detail isn't necessary. The lighting could have been more useful though as I'm not quite seeing enough clues to what exactly I'm looking at.

joedirt's map looks great. It's detailed and realistic, and the shots are done very well. Third pic with the television is my fav so far. I thought the idea was solid even if a little too obvious, but funnily enough no else attempted it. Use of props and textures is excellent. Only quarrel is that the skymap stands out as a a tad too cartoony :)

I like the lighting in mky's map but I think showing more content is needed for the idea :)

Phott's idea was unique but perhaps too simple, as shown through the map. Detail and lighting in the final shots was much improved though :)

Punky had some interesting shots of lighting and cool looking materials, but perhaps the idea was too simple. :)

Sathor's concept looks interesting but I'm not sure if i've quite got it - is it the idea of religion abandoned in a technological/scientific society? :)

Shred had an interesting idea and what looks like some custom textures! Good lighting and a very good first Hammer map. The idea reminds me of the dinosaurs abandoned on the island in Jurassic Park :)

Zipfinator's shots really appealed to me at first. The sky background, lighting and mapping all make for some interesting shots, however the idea is perhaps a tad too out there to fully grasp my attention :). I really do like the map though.

And that's everyone.

In the end I voted joedirt, best all-rounder I reckon.
Australian Bushman
Regular
Regular

Postby meshed on Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:59 am

Conceptually i think Aus Bushman's was the best. I really liked your idea. Joe_dirt, punky, daz and zipfinator made really good use of the elements and Shred's zoo idea was the most original imo.

Zipfinator's first screen got my vote. Really thought you pulled off the theme the best. Nice job :D
meshed
Regular
Regular

Postby Shred on Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:45 am

delta_nl wrote:I voted for Shred,
I think he's the only one who actually really made something that is really original AND fits the theme.

all others tend to use people who are alone etc. etc.

he didn't

+1

Thanks mate :smt023

Armageddon wrote:Wow... I thought Shred voted for himself :D

And thank you very much :P

I voted for Phott, though Joe_dirts map is amazing, I think Photts fitted the theme alot better.
When life gives you lemons make lemonade, take a piss in it, and serve it to the people that you hate.
Shred
Regular
Regular

Postby Sathor on Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:05 pm

Australian Bushman wrote:Sathor's concept looks interesting but I'm not sure if i've quite got it - is it the idea of religion abandoned in a technological/scientific society? :)

Something like that, yes.
I only had 2 hours to make the entry - I had just finished a term paper so I had only the last evening left :)

I voted for Aus_Karlos. But it was a hard choice and I am happy so many participated! Lets hope the next battles get that attention too.
Sathor

Postby Vilham on Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:05 pm

Voted Phott. Joes is probably the best in terms of mapping skills, but I really don't see how it shows abandonment.
Designer - Frontier Developments
Vilham
Frontier Developments

Postby BubbleQ on Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:24 pm

I voted for Aus_karlos beacuse I think it fits the theme best, and it may not so original but it do look very good.

So, you got my vote Aus_karlos :)
---------------------------------
I am a happy mapper!
Archlinux
BubbleQ
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Mr-Jigsaw on Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:09 pm

Bushman, I'm still kinda wondering where all that sand came from. Was this city originally built in a desert?
Mr-Jigsaw
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Jangalomph on Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:15 pm

Well guy's, this Seems to be my last entry here on the lopers. I'm done with mapping, i have no more inspiration, and i just quit mapping and modding over all. Got boring after 3 years.

I really enjoyed my stay guys! But i may come back to compete again!
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby joe_dirt976 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:38 pm

i voted for shred, it was a toss up between him and phott, both showed the same thing really. Good job all around. As for those that didn't see the process of abandonment in my entry, my theme was urban decay, which might be me stretching the meaning the word a bit, but it a long term process through which properties fall into a state of disrepair and neglect. Basically the place was abandoned because of the construction of a highway, which would normally be good for businesses if there is access to that highway.

And thanks for the votes everyone, i hate the way the sky turned out too.
Major Banter wrote:Joe Dirt. Also known locally in Interlopers as "Hammer Machine"
joe_dirt976
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby punky on Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:55 pm

mky wrote:Punky got me haha, joe dirts was very good though. I showed my brother and he thought about registering to the site just to vote for him haha

Thanks! I voted vore Phott, I found the idea of someone being abandoned in an elevator quite ironic, and you executed your idea pretty good too!
If I could hand out 2 extra votes 3Dnj and Joe would've got them :)
punky
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Phott on Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:57 pm

Cheers!

Thanks for the votes, means alot. :D
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby 3Dnj on Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:34 pm

whoa! :o i'm surprised. thanks for the votes. Most of pictures here are so good that they decided me to do more battle in the future :)
3Dnj
Regular
Regular

Postby Notary on Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:23 pm

In terms of aethetics my favourites are Aus_Carloss (my vote goes to you), Joe_dirts and Punkys entries because they are very colourful and appealing to the eye, they show a very good useage of lighting. Abandonment doesn't always mean gloomy dark colours. That was very nice of Aus_Carlos to add people to the entry, it breathes life into the picture.

In terms of ideas I liked Australian_Bushmans, Photts and Shreds (Shreds really makes sorry for these poor antlions left to die from starvation)

3dnjs is cool, but the lighting is way too boring and monotonous.

And I find Zipfinators quite nice, can't say anything else about this one.
Made in the USSR
Notary
Regular
Regular

Postby Australian Bushman on Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:43 am

Mr-Jigsaw wrote:Bushman, I'm still kinda wondering where all that sand came from. Was this city originally built in a desert?

The houses were part of an upmarket suburb in America somewhere. I don't live in America so I don't know where exactly this would be but I took inspiration at first from the houses in Agrestic from Weeds.

The sand is used as a surreal sign what our homes could look like from a heatwave as a result of global warming. It wasn't suppose to be entirely realistic, but I got the idea from an article and photograph in a New Scientist magazine. Check out the Namibia sand houses by Richard Ehrlich - http://www.ehrlichphotography.com/

Regarding Joe dirt's map and whether or not it shows abandonment as some have pointed out. I do see abandonment in there. Firstly, there are sign that people were present here, but then where did they go? One could argue that the streets were abandoned even before the people left - abandoned by the Government, society, whatever. I didn't actually pick up on the bridge concept at first :)
Australian Bushman
Regular
Regular

Postby 904 on Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:51 am

My vote goes to Aus_Karlos, I think you executed the theme best with good visual quality, Phott being a good 2nd. Great entries overall. Well done to all.
Design Section Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Design Section