Map Battle 35 - Eden

Your chance to get creative and take part in the various design challenges

Moderators: 904, Zecrah

Re: Map Battle 35 - Eden

Postby PaulH on Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:00 am

blackdeath wrote:if mere color correction is the only serious problem then it's hardly a big deal

Kinda like saying lighting doesn't matter...in map battles entries are judged purely on aesthetics, so color correction is a big deal

Looking much better Meo, nice work :)
- Level Designer - Crytek UK -
http://paulhaynes.carbonmade.com
PaulH
Crytek UK

Postby The Doctor on Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:18 am

We'll all just ignore my little rant, and rest comfortably in the fires of knowledge knowing? that I have fixed my shit map.

I deleted the three displacements I had surrounding the building, and like a punch to the face, after a five minute compile, I was hit with that scene. All my sexy shadows are now working, the light is going in the wrong direction, but it's cool because now I can fix it. Feels good to have things fixed. Stupid displacement!
"We're the Moe Syzlak experience featuring Homer."
The Doctor
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby nub on Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:31 pm

That REALLY reminds me of Elysion Skytown from Metroid Prime 3, was that your reference?. All you gotta do is get some more light sources in there and it will look really sexy. Some really nice brushwork though, regardless of how symmetrical and linear it may be. You should consider adding complicated machinery in there, something like big gears on the walls or ceiling. That would really look cool.

Meow, your map looks awesome, but the strider just kills the mood for me to be honest. I don't feel very happy seeing a 3-legged, bio-mechanic creature that was designed by an alien race to tear whole cities apart, whilst impaling citizens with its feet. I think it would be better to not have it there.

As for me, I'm going to try something out with my map and see how it looks. I'll post some screenies to see what you all think, but it's not "official progress."

edit:

What do you think? I was curious to see how it would look at night. I think it looks cooler, but I don't know if it accommodates the theme well enough. I staved from giving it a "sinister" look, and I did some warmer colors instead of a bunch of green and light blue.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby The Doctor on Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:37 pm

nub wrote:That REALLY reminds me of Elysion Skytown from Metroid Prime 3, was that your reference?.

No reference, just an idea I had.

I like your map in the night, nub. Where did you get the god rays from?
"We're the Moe Syzlak experience featuring Homer."
The Doctor
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby nub on Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:11 pm

They are the volumetric light models that Valve made for Episode Two. I simply put them on prop_dynamic and used the properties to color the model and give it the glow and such.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Zipfinator on Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:17 pm

Looking good, but why are you moving towards an Asian style!
|Pipe Dream|City 17: Episode 1|
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ixin on Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:28 pm

Thats epic Nub, great improvement!
ixin
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby nub on Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:40 pm

I'm aiming toward the Asian style because shrines like the one I'm working on are prominent in Asia, and the architecture suits it perfectly.

Do you like my shrine gate? I made it with brushes using a reference. :D
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby vcool on Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:36 pm

I should be done with texturing the shrine model today.

As for my entry, I started it yesterday but I just couldn't work on it. I'll try again this weekend.

Neighborhood Forum Elitist
vcool
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Meotwister on Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:02 pm

Awesome improvement nub!

One thing for me was I didnt think it was at night this time, but rather that it was underground. Which would be very cool. But yes looking much better now. :)

And as for mine, I mean the strider's serving the purpose of the serpent/antagonist but if people think I should use another shot then I guess I will.
Check out my continually progressing portfolio!
http://meotwister.com - Finally up! I also blog there, too!

www.NoMoreRoomInHell.com
Meotwister
Resolute Games

Postby nub on Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:34 pm

Meotwister wrote:One thing for me was I didnt think it was at night this time, but rather that it was underground. Which would be very cool. But yes looking much better now. :)

Yeah, it does kind of look like it's underground. If you look closely at the top center, you can faintly see stars in the sky through the rays of light. There's a lot of tree cover in this build, and I'm planning on keeping it that way to accommodate the light rays. I might be darkening the light rays though so they don't stand out so much.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby krainert on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:40 pm

nub wrote:Image

Well, I say...

krainert
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby jister on Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:18 pm

NUB, strange enough with every change you make, something gets better at the expense of other values...

now you improved your overall scene, the light beams and Asian theme fit well, but now the composition is unbalanced.

btw if you use the shrine models from your request post, you should clearly mention they're not yours... just so competition stays fair.
jister
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Acheron on Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:33 pm

I love looking at the work on these threads, haven't participated myself yet but hopefully will one of these days. Personally this would've been one that I'd absolutely love to get in on but I just don't have the time at the moment.

Don't know if you'll take it in a bad way as a lot of people despise the game but your work, the last ones you posted with colour correction and without before these ones especially, reminds me of something that you'd see in WoW. Probably because of the use of pink/purple/violet/whatever colours mixed with teal/blue/green, they did a fair few similar colour schemes for areas involving the elves.

All of the entries are pretty bloody amazing though, most of them would be awesome to see in a game.
Acheron
Regular
Regular

Postby no00dylan on Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:38 pm

Yeah, lots of good ones this time.
no00dylan
Veteran
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Design Section