10%
no00dylan
5%
erikkiller
1%

Total votes : 108

Re: Vote & final images for map battle 35

Postby Meotwister on Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:29 am

I woulda replaced one of my shots with a close up of the tree.. and probably named mine. Fastasy Eden or some such.

Critical help from others would be cool.
Check out my continually progressing portfolio!
http://meotwister.com - Finally up! I also blog there, too!

www.NoMoreRoomInHell.com
Meotwister
Resolute Games

Postby Mr.Unreal on Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:51 pm

A vote for vcool. His point of view to the Eden can only be described as revolutionary. Looks almost like doomsday had come and mankind is on the brink of extinction. Dark future and what the Eden had become. That was my opinion of the picture. Very good work from vcool.
Mr.Unreal

Postby Puhnkss on Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:43 pm

Yes my vote when to vcool too, I love the "God is Dead" decal.
Puhnkss
Regular
Regular

Postby cdxx on Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:31 am

nub you got mine man, your shots had the biggest wow factor i feel. nicely done.
cdxx
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Mr.Mguee on Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:51 am

meotwister for me, to me its the most "lifelike"
Mr.Mguee
Regular
Regular

Postby no00dylan on Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:21 am

THUS CONTINUES my legacy for seriously sucking ass in map battles!
no00dylan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby BillyDa59 on Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:48 am

vcool: Looks good but lacks any interesting architecture. Nothing extraordinary stands out and grabs attention.
Zipfinator: Also good but this too lacks anything extraordinary that pleases the eye. Perhaps if the structure in the background were closer to the camera and more part of the scene. It's just kind of a detail way back where it is now.
The Doctor: Wonderful! Conveys a certain feeling of emptiness and abandonment. Awesome brushwork. Something seems missing from the overall scene though. Not sure, it just feels unfinished.
nub: Has a unique fantasy world feel to it. A good thing. A good balance of visually appealing brushwork and visual effects. You did a good job, whether it was accidental or not, at making one large and interesting object that the scene focuses on and then having plenty of smaller and other interesting details all about the scene.
Meotwister: Lacks any real brushwork but that's okay because the landscape is shaped quite interestingly. Your use of visual effects is kind of strange though.
no00dylan: Neat environment you've setup there. Personally, I think some sort of large or medium sized detail should have been placed in the water to make the scene a bit more busy/interesting. Or just anything really to make the scene a bit more interesting.
erikkiller: I have a real appreciation (and envy) for your ability and attempt to use a unique architecture style but it needs something more. It feels to monotone with mostly circles. The entire scene is too symmetrical.

I vote for nub.
BillyDa59
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby nub on Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:20 pm

no00dylan wrote:THUS CONTINUES my legacy for seriously sucking ass in map battles!

I actually like your map a lot, it's just that it feels too alien. Your overall quality is fine, it's just that you might have trouble keeping with themes. Sometimes looking up the definition of the theme, or maybe looking in a thesaurus will really help you out with this, or doing some other kind of research on it.

But seriously, keep working on that piece, it could make a good hl2dm map or something. I plan on doing the same with my submission as well.

OH and, how did you make that arc of light in the sky? That's what really caught my attention.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby The Doctor on Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:17 pm

nub wrote:
no00dylan wrote:OH and, how did you make that arc of light in the sky? That's what really caught my attention.

I was wondering that too. I thought it might have been an env_beam with the ring flag on.
"We're the Moe Syzlak experience featuring Homer."
The Doctor
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Vilham on Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:41 am

nub wrote:
no00dylan wrote:THUS CONTINUES my legacy for seriously sucking ass in map battles!

I actually like your map a lot, it's just that it feels too alien. Your overall quality is fine, it's just that you might have trouble keeping with themes. Sometimes looking up the definition of the theme, or maybe looking in a thesaurus will really help you out with this, or doing some other kind of research on it.

But seriously, keep working on that piece, it could make a good hl2dm map or something. I plan on doing the same with my submission as well.

OH and, how did you make that arc of light in the sky? That's what really caught my attention.

bit harsh saying he isn't keeping with the theme. As far as I can tell yours just looks like a Japanese garden with colour correction, how is that any more eden than his?
Designer - Frontier Developments
Vilham
Frontier Developments

Postby 904 on Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:06 pm

Eden is widely interpretrable, the difference is that nub has interpreted the theme and kept in mind what most people would consider Eden, no00dylan took more his own route.
@ no00dylan, I don't think your entry sucks ass, neither did previous ones. Why? Because everytime there's improvement in what you make. It might not be what people preferred when voting, but in the end it's about taking with what you made and improving your experience and ability to what you intend to make. I made entries in the past which might not have been what people wanted to see, but they did add experience.
Last edited by 904 on Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: it said "I might not be..." should be "It might not be.."
Design Section Moderator

Postby nub on Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:22 pm

Vilham wrote:bit harsh saying he isn't keeping with the theme. As far as I can tell yours just looks like a Japanese garden with colour correction, how is that any more eden than his?

Then if that's the case, Vcool's map just looks like a city street with what looks like the entrance to a strip club, and Zip's entry just looks like a desert with a mini oasis in the middle and some old wooden buildings slapped in the background.

I'm not bashing Noodylan in any way, I'm simply putting the idea out that he MIGHT be having trouble making a map based on a provided theme, and if that's the case, he can work on that if he wants. I wasn't trying to directly say "You can't keep up with a theme when you map."

But overall, 904 has the right idea. Eden is easily a widely interpretable theme.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby no00dylan on Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:35 pm

thanks everyone, the light in the sky is a texture, apply the right ammount of hdr and bloom and BOOM.
(its in the skybox)
no00dylan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby nub on Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:05 pm

Hehe, exactly 100 votes have been made. So whatever amount of votes you have is the percentage of all votes made. :D
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby vcool on Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:25 pm

Voted for The Doctor.

Neighborhood Forum Elitist
vcool
Veteran
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Design Section