Phott
3%
The Doctor
2%

Total votes : 118

Map battle 40 - Atrium - Final Images & Voting Round

Postby 904 on Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:57 pm

time to vote!

Our lovely contestants have created their interpretation of the Atrium theme. It's up to you to decide who made the nicest. Here are the images that were marked as final:

Blade Nd64

IMUS

Khaeotixs

popcornjake

jangalomph

amckern

Mr. Chop

Corigami
Corigami created a panorama which I feel is just in that gray area between what would be allowed and what not, but I do not want to create a precedent. Apologies to Corigami, it's a pretty picture which you can check out in the original thread if you're interested.

magoc

Phott

The Doctor

A big thanks to all who made an entry as well as to the people who started on one but didn't finish, your efforts are appreciated as well.

This voting round will be a bit shorter (3-4 days), due to possible needed preparation time for the next stage, so don't delay your vote!

This was only stage one of the atrium battle, stage 2 will probably start after this one, unless more preparation time is needed. A quick hint on stage 2: the idea is to take the winning map(s) of this battle and create a bit of gameplay with it. Details will follow once stage 2 starts ;)
Design Section Moderator

Re: Map battle 40 - Atrium - Final Images & Voting Round

Postby Zipfinator on Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:02 pm

Was a tough call between Blade and Corigami. Decided to vote for Blade though.

Great job everyone!
|Pipe Dream|City 17: Episode 1|
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby city14 on Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:07 pm

IMUS that looks like a picture to me... That is amazing, and you deserve my vote, congratulations to all who participated and special congrats to IMUS on an 'effing amazing map!
coder0xff wrote:I wonder if Gabe ever lies in bed at night, thinking about all the fat jokes, and just cries himself to sleep, wiping his tears away with one-thousand dollar bills.
city14
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Megadude on Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:17 pm

The problem I've had with so many good entries is that none of them jumped out at me and said that they were the best. I've also judged these based on that the winning entry will be the basis of part 2. A lot of thse, while good to look at, already have their own sense of style and personailty, so when it comes to part 2, most of the entries would look very similar and people would have difficulty putting their own style and interpreation into the atrium, without basically starting the texturing and model placements from scratch. Due to this, I've chosen to go with the entry that not only looks good but will allow people to stamp their own identity and design ideas onto their part 2 entries without any problems, so I've gone with Phott's entry.

For anyone who doesn't want to read all that - I chose Phott.
Wrathborne 711 wrote:OH MY GOD.........MEXICANS!

End of Humanity - beta version 3.0 released!
Megadude
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Jman on Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:18 pm

Corigami's is just plain fantastic.
Jman
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Phott on Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:52 pm

Megadude wrote:The problem I've had with so many good entries is that none of them jumped out at me and said that they were the best. I've also judged these based on that the winning entry will be the basis of part 2. A lot of thse, while good to look at, already have their own sense of style and personailty, so when it comes to part 2, most of the entries would look very similar and people would have difficulty putting their own style and interpreation into the atrium, without basically starting the texturing and model placements from scratch. Due to this, I've chosen to go with the entry that not only looks good but will allow people to stamp their own identity and design ideas onto their part 2 entries without any problems, so I've gone with Phott's entry.

For anyone who doesn't want to read all that - I chose Phott.

Cheers! :smt023 Didn't expect any votes due to Blade's and Corigami's entries.

Well, since I'm not gonna vote for myself I put my vote to Blade because I really like the brush work, looks really good and you really managed with the lighting IMO.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby The Doctor on Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:56 pm

Voted for Blade n64's. Not sure why but it really reminds me of Deus Ex. Seeing my entry up against all the others now is a little upsetting. Most of the other entries have some life to them, whereas mine just looks dead, not devoid of life, just flat in some way.

Stand outs for me:

Corigami's entry is full of detail and really awesome lighting, it's a little weird though that a place like that is wired for electricity.

Jangalomph's decay and overgrowth I really like, but I think it would have been cool if you included that screenshot that showed off the sky through the ceiling. From those screenshots it seems very closed and claustrophobic. "Aziz! Light!"

Popcornjake's awesome brushwork. I can't even wrap my head around making something like that. Not really liking the lighting though, and again no ceiling shot. You had a really cool WIP shot of the ceiling, what happened to that?

IMUS' reminds me of something from Uncharted, the soft lighting and the smooth textures. It's beautiful. I'd also really love to see that fountain in action.
"We're the Moe Syzlak experience featuring Homer."
The Doctor
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby svbg869 on Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:34 am

im a sucker for curves, so Magoc got my vote :)
so many amazing maps hear, cant wait to see what we get for stage 2

Corigami's is just amazing, albeit somewhat repetitive. He could have, and probably did, just build half the map and mirror it.

IMUS has some awesome atmosphere, i just don't like the roof XD

popcornjake is just astonishing, my brain hurts when i try to think of how to create such a smooth upward helix, especially with all the detailing in there

and Phott's, any one up for some gun game?
my newest released map: surf_elites_v2
svbg869

Postby Jangalomph on Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:36 am

I voted for my self since i'm selfish and i thought my entry fit the topic the best. Other wise, i would've voted Corigami. Good job :D

@ Doctor
I didn't include a view of the actual sky :/ i guess that's just me forgetting the concept.
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby The Doctor on Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:47 am

I feel dirty for some reason.
"We're the Moe Syzlak experience featuring Homer."
The Doctor
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby cypher543 on Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:44 am

It took me a little while to decide, because there were a ton of really good entries this time. I went with Corigami, though. It looks incredibly detailed and reminds me of something that might be in Dragon Age Origins, which is my current obsession. :D
cypher543
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Zipfinator on Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:19 am

jangalomph wrote:I voted for my self since i'm selfish and i thought my entry fit the topic the best.

Hurray for narcissism!
|Pipe Dream|City 17: Episode 1|
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Blade Nd64 on Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:32 am

I would feel too guilty about voting for myself, so I voted for IMUS.
Blade Nd64
Regular
Regular

Postby Jangalomph on Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:00 am

Zipfinator wrote:
jangalomph wrote:I voted for my self since i'm selfish and i thought my entry fit the topic the best.

Hurray for narcissism!

:) Greedy.
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby ToastFlambe on Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:47 am

Voted for IMUS. The lighting, color variation, and attention to detail make it stand out. Corigami's map is my runner up because of the awesome architecture.These were all incredible entries, though, some real quality stuff.
ToastFlambe

Next

Return to Design Section