Map Battle 42 - The Escape / Atrium Stage 2

Your chance to get creative and take part in the various design challenges

Moderators: 904, Zecrah

Map Battle 42 - The Escape / Atrium Stage 2

Postby 904 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:46 pm

Sorry people, I was a bit too preoccupied to start this battle on time. But here it is!

The Escape
Atrium battle - stage 2

Atrium stage 2
In battle 40 we did a battle themed "Atrium" and hinted that that was stage 1. This second stage is about gameplay, and it features the top 3 maps of the stage 1. It's the first gameplay battle we're doing here in this corner of Interlopers.net (!)

Challenge
The reason to pick an Atrium as a theme for gameplay, is because it allows for vertical gameplay. And that's what I want you to keep in mind for this battle. The challenge is to create a map where you have to battle your enemies to reach an exit and escape. Update: an exit can f.i. be a safe-house, or a separate area where you meet up with Alyx, or you getting on a train... basically an area where the battle ends and if it were a multi-level campaign, the next level would be loaded.

Technicalities
The top 3 winners of stage 1 have kindly provided us with their entries for that battle, so you can now expand them by incorporating gameplay.
Please know that these are provided to you for the sole purpose of creating an entry for this battle. If you have other plans (f.i. distribute it via other channels), ask the creators for permission.

A few regulatory notices:
  • The original entries must remain recognizable, so geometry, lighting and texturing etc. should remain largely intact.
  • Update: expansion is allowed, with the requirment that these maps remain the core of the overall map.
  • Post screenshots in this thread, please don't publish the playable map.
  • Once done, provide the playable map including all assets (using pakrat of whatever is used nowadays) to me via PM
  • You can pick any of the three maps that are provided, one entry per contestant.
  • This is our first gameplay battle, this means some things probably have to be ironed out, if you have some suggestions or remarks regarding how the battle is run, use the Suggestions thread
  • You should use an official Valve Source engine game, preferrably EP2 or L4D.

The maps
IMUS' map
download url removed

Blade Nd64's map
download url removed

Corigami's map
download url removed

Deadline
The deadline for this battle is set on Wednesday February 24th, giving you four weeks to create an entry. The battle will be closed at 22:00 GMT that day. For a conversion of the closing time to your own location, check this.

Full rules
You can find the full rules here. If you've got any questions about the theme, the rules or the battles in general, either post in this thread or PM me (904).

Good luck!
& I hope this works out!

Voting will commence ~1 day after this battle finishes, as soon as all maps have been provided. It will run for an extended period of ~ 2 weeks. After which I will try to get the battles back on the regular schedule.

I'm sorry I started this so late. I actually wanted to test the maps for completeness and make them at least EP2 compatible. But I just couldn't find the time. This means that I'm providing you with the files as I have received them. If you find incompletenesses (asset-wise) please post in this thread, so everybody knows about the issue and we can address it swiftly.
Design Section Moderator

Re: Map Batlle 42 - The Escape / Atrium Stage 2

Postby Zipfinator on Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:50 pm

Was just going to ask when this would go up.
|Pipe Dream|City 17: Episode 1|
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Blade Nd64 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:07 pm

Awesome. I was wondering what this was going to be. Also, I'm sure that my atrium should work in EP2 if you have the needed L4D models/textures extracted.
Blade Nd64
Regular
Regular

Postby Hollow on Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:12 pm

if i do decide to play around with one of the maps, it will probably be Blade's, alot of combine based action could take place I'm sure :D
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby Corigami on Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:52 pm

I really wish I would have known what the gameplay part was before I made my entry :c I have a feeling it's going to be difficult for anyone to use mine.
Corigami
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby stoopdapoop on Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:06 am

these seem like small spaces, what are the rules for adding areas outside of the playable space?
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby cheesemoo0 on Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:01 am

I really like this idea. I think there needs to be more elaboration on what can be added onto maps.
cheesemoo0
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Armageddon on Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:45 am

What happens when the player gets to an exit? And is this HL2DM?
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Chopium on Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:19 am

This seems like a backwards process. Level designers start with gameplay and THEN move onto visuals. I can't see how well with work... Good luck to everyone though!
Chopium

Postby 904 on Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:48 am

^ the idea was to have some sort of basis of a map and extend on that. Consider it an experiment.
And yes you guys are right, expansion should be allowed, with the requirment that these maps remain the core of the overall map.
Design Section Moderator

Postby Unstoppable Florence on Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:08 pm

Eep. I like blade's map, but I want to use the ep2 engine and resources. Would it be allowable to remove every l4d prop/texture and replace them? It'd make my life far easier, and keep everything more consistent.
Dives wrote:Source is kinda like that really old guy in your family that keeps getting older and older and just won't die, but he tells really great stories. And craps the bed on occasion.
Unstoppable Florence
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby projectleet on Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:18 am

I am REALLY interested in this battle, but I hope someone can expand more on what can or cannot be added to the maps. I already have a few ideas of what I would like to do. Though it looks like the rules are "as long as you can recognize the original" it should be fine... Does this imply we can add more onto it?
projectleet

Postby cypher543 on Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:54 am

projectleet wrote:Does this imply we can add more onto it?

904 wrote:And yes you guys are right, expansion should be allowed, with the requirment that these maps remain the core of the overall map.
cypher543
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby ErikKiller on Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:30 am

Wednesday February 24th
Hehe Estonian Independence Day.
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby projectleet on Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:24 am

cypher543 wrote:
projectleet wrote:Does this imply we can add more onto it?

904 wrote:And yes you guys are right, expansion should be allowed, with the requirment that these maps remain the core of the overall map.

Speed Read FTL! My bad. :smt021

Thanks for the clear up, I got plenty of more ideas to toy with then for this.
projectleet

Next

Return to Design Section