Map Battle 51 - Vastness

Your chance to get creative and take part in the various design challenges

Moderators: 904, Zecrah

Re: Map Battle 51 - Vastness

Postby Hollow on Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:39 pm

The screens at work are calibrated in a specific way, so it's probably got to do with that.
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby Dejavo on Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:01 pm

Acadium: That is aw-sum. Great use of fog. Now add some personality to that house. Give it a story. A quirky looking dock would be superb.

Ohbtw, did you model the trees?
Dejavo

Postby Zecrah on Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:13 pm

Holy crap.The submissions so far are just... Whoa. At this rate I'm looking to go for an 'Overall Winner' and runner ups too.

There's still plenty of time so no need to 'give up' yet. A breakdown would certainly be nice jimonions, but in another thread as you say. A lot of learning potential in that map there.

Awesome work - really happy with the reaction to a map battle given how long it's been!
Major Banter wrote:Zecrah, you've come from nowhere yet have rapidly become a Hammer God.

Wtf.

Check out my weapons tutorial
Zecrah
Design Section Moderator

Postby Ark11 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:34 am

Just started today (a bit late i know) This is what i got so far.
Lighting and sky is shit, the terrain is what i'm proud of :smt023
"Drop kick me Jesus, through the goalposts of life." - Robert Bare
Ark11

Postby iamhoops on Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:58 am

Okay, so I wish I could say that I've been busy working on my map, but I've actually been busy with a job and other assorted activities of a less-than-productive nature. That having been said, I've been watching the entries come in, and I'm very impressed so far. I have major trouble when it comes to making good-looking outdoor maps, so bravo to those that have succeeded where I have so often failed.

I HAVE made some small progress on my humble entry over the past couple of weeks, so I have updated WIPs:

Hopefully, I can add some finishing touches over the weekend, and then I'll upload my final images. I would keep working on it over the week, but I find that during the week, I'm too busy to focus on mapping. :-(
iamhoops

Postby Arcadium on Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:02 pm

nub wrote:It's kind of a silly to build a house and have barely any surface area around its perimeter.

I was going to remake that scene, but I have no experience making custom content :(

Also, this would've been a really nice scene for the contest:

Arcadium

Postby MáØ on Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:56 am

Welp, my maps got all fucked somehow, lost everything. Had some back-ups from like 8 months ago but that's about it...

Not sure what to do now.
MáØ
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Arcadium on Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:42 am

Added dock, improved detail on the house, moar color correction, still WIP.

Comments on color correction, and on what I should add?
Arcadium

Postby Ark11 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:49 am

Add a little row boat moored to the dock and maybe some smoke coming from the houses chimney. Other than that, amazing job!
"Drop kick me Jesus, through the goalposts of life." - Robert Bare
Ark11

Postby nub on Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:23 am

Arcadium wrote:Added dock, improved detail on the house, moar color correction, still WIP.

Comments on color correction, and on what I should add?

I liked it far more with the saturated lighting and fog. It made things look more sublime. You didn't desaturate it that much, but still, I liked it the way it was before. Just my opinion though. Others might think the exact opposite.

I still stand by some things I mentioned in my (rather lengthy) previous post regarding your submission. You definitely did some good work on the house. Though, if you refer to the second screen shot, there's a totally bare side on the house which has a noticeably repeating texture. You should consider trying to break that up. A chimney right smack in the center of the wall would probably be perfect.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Arcadium on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:26 am

Thanks for your input, I'll be sure to detail that side. I wasn't sure if I was going to even show that side, but now I think I've decided which angles for screenshots to use. I'm thinking about adding a huge bridge between the cliffs tomorrow.
Arcadium

Postby Armageddon on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:40 am

I liked it much better the first time oyu posted it, it felt a lot more open and it had a Lost Coast type atmosphere, and a better sun angle. :-)
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby jimonions on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:16 pm

wip pic although it may be ready enough for a final, let me know what you guys think if I should do anything more.
added to the meteors.

also here's a short breakdown on google docs of how I go about making my maps. Its fairly straightforward.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nvQ ... k-0WY/edit
jimonions
Regular
Regular

Postby PaulH on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:12 pm

Looking good jimonions

If I could offer some suggestions, I'm not quite getting the feeling of 'vastness' from the scene and I'm a bit confused about some of the elements. I realise the fireballs are meteorites, what is the blue glowing thing in the centre? And what is the light source on the right?

If this is indeed a volcano maybe that could be represented in the background? Also the mountain range seems to kind of cut off, if that traveled further back into the distance it might help with the sense of scale. This can be done with simple mountain shaped planes rather than modelling/creating more mountains, have the planes layered and use fog to highlight each layer separately so they appear to be set apart from each other, sort of like this:

When I look at the scene currently I just see a kind of mountain bowl in the middle and it doesn't seem to be in an extensive environment. Could just be me though :)

One other thing I would do is maybe highlight the fact that those are trees in the foreground, I didn't notice them at first glance as they are pitch black. What you *could* do is pull the camera angle back and angle it down a bit so we see more of the trees. Then maybe make a clearing in the trees where one of the meteorites has landed, and you can use the fire from that to light up that tree section. Having the trees more visible (or at least some of them) will help add to the sense of scale that I'm missing currently.

Of course, this is just what I would try if I was working on the scene, if it's not the direction you want to take it in, this is still something decent that you have created :)
- Level Designer - Crytek UK -
http://paulhaynes.carbonmade.com
PaulH
Crytek UK

Postby jimonions on Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:01 pm

Thanks for the great reply.

I can admit even I dont really get the feeling of vastness, I just wanted to add some visual elements that would actually keep a viewer interested rather than having a bland expanse of landscape. I'm also not that great of a texture artist. I saw that method being used in the cliff scene at the start of ep2. As much as I wanted to do it that way it is a bit beyond me.

The thing in the middle was supposed to be a volcano when I first started out however it required massive billowing smoke which I feared would take up the whole screen. I settled for something more mysterious.
If anyone has noticed I had actually made volcano models. One of which I placed in the background to the right. I was going to make that an active volcano but that would've attracted too much attention from the main area as well as being a big pain in the ass to realistically achieve.
The bright light to the right was just to light up the scene more with a secondary light colour. It is supposed to be a setting sun. Chrome does not like my spelling of colour what is this.

I tried highlighting the trees with a blue ambient light but it kept turning out either too bright or unnoticeable. I decided to go with a silhouette. They weren't really meant to be the center of interest either way.
Your idea of cleared forest craters is certainly something I can try going into, Ignoring the fact that if any meteors did in fact happen to enter out atmosphere and crash, setting the hdr tonemap settings up to 9000 would be an accurate representation of how it may look.
jimonions
Regular
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Design Section