Map Battle 51 - Vastness

Your chance to get creative and take part in the various design challenges

Moderators: 904, Zecrah

Re: Map Battle 51 - Vastness

Postby Fuzyhead on Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:16 am

srredfire wrote:I don't see why it would be an advantage to be honest. You can't have those fancy shadows yet as we don't have the SDK.

I'm quite sure CsGo has some render improvments, exclusive content etc., but dunno if you can use those features if you don't have the sdk anyway...
Fuzyhead

Postby Kosire on Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:25 pm

You can setup Alien Swarm with a CS:GO config and you get access to the models, textures and in-game cascaded shadow maps and other bells and whistles.

I've done it, works flawlessly.
Kosire
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby srredfire on Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:29 pm

Kosire wrote:You can setup Alien Swarm with a CS:GO config and you get access to the models, textures and in-game cascaded shadow maps and other bells and whistles.

I've done it, works flawlessly.

bro wtf u srs gib me a link how2do bcuz wen i use portal2 2 compiel mapz i onli get doze good shad o's on bruches n not mdlz

No but really show me how please.
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Kosire on Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:39 pm

srredfire wrote:bro wtf u srs gib me a link how2do bcuz wen i use portal2 2 compiel mapz i onli get doze good shad o's on bruches n not mdlz
No but really show me how please.

Simple! Here's how I did it:

1. Open Alien Swarm SDK -> Edit Game Configuration -> Add

Edit so it matches your CSGO directory:
Name: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo

2. OK -> OK -> Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\alien swarm\bin -> Open GameConfig.txt

Edit so it matches your Steam directory.
"Counter-Strike: Global Offensive"
{
"GameDir" "c:\program files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo"
"Hammer"
{
"GameData0" "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\kosire\sourcesdk\bin\source2009\bin\base.fgd"
"GameData1" "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\sdk_content\csgo.fgd"
"TextureFormat" "5"
"MapFormat" "4"
"DefaultTextureScale" "0.250000"
"DefaultLightmapScale" "16"
"GameExe" "c:\program files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo.exe"
"DefaultSolidEntity" "func_detail"
"DefaultPointEntity" "info_player_terrorist"
"BSP" "c:\program files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\portal 2\bin\vbsp.exe"
"Vis" "c:\program files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\portal 2\bin\vvis.exe"
"Light" "c:\program files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\portal 2\bin\vrad.exe"
"GameExeDir" "c:\program files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive"
"MapDir" "c:\program files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\sdk_content\mapsrc"
"BSPDir" "c:\program files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo\maps"
"PrefabDir" "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\alien swarm\bin\Prefabs"
"CordonTexture" "tools\toolsskybox"
"MaterialExcludeCount" "0"
}
}

and you can download my own FGD I made for CS:GO here
(Includes spawn points, env_cascade_light, buyzone, bomb/hostage, weapons, etc.)

Happy mapping! :D
Kosire
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby srredfire on Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:41 pm

Many thanks!
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Hollow on Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:42 pm

Kosire = god
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby Zecrah on Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:04 pm

Rules Page wrote:-The map must be made in any official game for the source engine, this includes: Half-Life 2, Half-Life: Source, Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, Half-Life 2: Episode 1, Half-Life 2: Episode 2, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, Portal, Portal 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Day Of Defeat: Source and Half-Life: Lost Coast.

The above says 'this includes' but does not specify it is limited to. Therefore, as long as it's an official engine (Alien Swarm is okay) from Valve it's viable. CS:GO isn't an official engine yet, therefore you can't use it. It's currently a beta engine. The engine doesn't include the content, which you therefore may use. (Content being materials/textures/models/CC etc...)
Major Banter wrote:Zecrah, you've come from nowhere yet have rapidly become a Hammer God.

Wtf.

Check out my weapons tutorial
Zecrah
Design Section Moderator

Postby Kosire on Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:09 pm

Zecrah wrote:
Rules Page wrote:-The map must be made in any official game for the source engine, this includes: Half-Life 2, Half-Life: Source, Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, Half-Life 2: Episode 1, Half-Life 2: Episode 2, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, Portal, Portal 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Day Of Defeat: Source and Half-Life: Lost Coast.

The above says 'this includes' but does not specify it is limited to. Therefore, as long as it's an official engine (Alien Swarm is okay) from Valve it's viable. CS:GO isn't an official engine yet, therefore you can't use it. It's currently a beta engine. The engine doesn't include the content, which you therefore may use. (Content being materials/textures/models/CC etc...)

Imo CS:GO is an official source engine, since it's live, it's developed by Valve. That the game it is used on is in Beta is another deal.

About MaK's point for it being an advantage over the ones who don't own CS:GO.. Isnt that the same as to people who don't own Portal 2 or whatever to use specific features from that game? (Yes they can buy it.. but you can actually also buy CS:GO beta keys.. or trade with people)
Kosire
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby MaK on Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:38 pm

Buying CS:GO beta keys... that's just silly. My point was it's unfair because it's not available to everyone.
MaK

Postby MrBlackspoon on Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:47 pm

Started collecting a lot of reference images for the scene i am trying to make. Made a custom sand texture first.
And i have modeled my simple "cliffview", from where the initial screenshot will be taken. Spread out the displacement area to get the playground done, for further displacement work.
Will make some more custom props whats needed for this scene.

Far from done.

MrBlackspoon
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Dives on Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:14 am

That's a pretty good looking rock.
Dives
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Stormy on Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:22 am

That is a very good looking rock. Looks more like the phoenix engine than source.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby srredfire on Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:30 am

Let's rock and roll.
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Sathor on Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:56 am

On the German eBay, CS:GO Beta Keys are sold for 80 Euros - a lot more than CS:GO will cost. It is a joke to say you can get the Beta as easy as Portal 2.

I am against allowing CS:GO for the map battle as long as the title has not officially shipped. Should apply to any non-released title.
Sathor

Postby srredfire on Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:14 am

Sathor wrote:On the German eBay, CS:GO Beta Keys are sold for 80 Euros - a lot more than CS:GO will cost. It is a joke to say you can get the Beta as easy as Portal 2.

I am against allowing CS:GO for the map battle as long as the title has not officially shipped. Should apply to any non-released title.

Agreed, not everyone can get access to it so I don't think it should be fair to use.
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Design Section