Map Battle 51 - Vastness

Your chance to get creative and take part in the various design challenges

Moderators: 904, Zecrah

Re: Map Battle 51 - Vastness

Postby Fuzyhead on Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:16 am

srredfire wrote:I don't see why it would be an advantage to be honest. You can't have those fancy shadows yet as we don't have the SDK.

I'm quite sure CsGo has some render improvments, exclusive content etc., but dunno if you can use those features if you don't have the sdk anyway...
Image
User avatar
Fuzyhead
Member
Member
 
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 9:34 am

Re: Map Battle 51 - Vastness

Postby Kosire on Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:25 pm

You can setup Alien Swarm with a CS:GO config and you get access to the models, textures and in-game cascaded shadow maps and other bells and whistles.

I've done it, works flawlessly.
User avatar
Kosire
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r
 
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:25 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Map Battle 51 - Vastness

Postby srredfire on Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:29 pm

Kosire wrote:You can setup Alien Swarm with a CS:GO config and you get access to the models, textures and in-game cascaded shadow maps and other bells and whistles.

I've done it, works flawlessly.


bro wtf u srs gib me a link how2do bcuz wen i use portal2 2 compiel mapz i onli get doze good shad o's on bruches n not mdlz

No but really show me how please.
User avatar
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:44 pm

Re: Map Battle 51 - Vastness

Postby Kosire on Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:39 pm

srredfire wrote:bro wtf u srs gib me a link how2do bcuz wen i use portal2 2 compiel mapz i onli get doze good shad o's on bruches n not mdlz
No but really show me how please.

Simple! Here's how I did it:


1. Open Alien Swarm SDK -> Edit Game Configuration -> Add

Edit so it matches your CSGO directory:
Name: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo


2. OK -> OK -> Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\alien swarm\bin -> Open GameConfig.txt

Edit so it matches your Steam directory.
"Counter-Strike: Global Offensive"
{
"GameDir" "c:\program files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo"
"Hammer"
{
"GameData0" "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\kosire\sourcesdk\bin\source2009\bin\base.fgd"
"GameData1" "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\sdk_content\csgo.fgd"
"TextureFormat" "5"
"MapFormat" "4"
"DefaultTextureScale" "0.250000"
"DefaultLightmapScale" "16"
"GameExe" "c:\program files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo.exe"
"DefaultSolidEntity" "func_detail"
"DefaultPointEntity" "info_player_terrorist"
"BSP" "c:\program files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\portal 2\bin\vbsp.exe"
"Vis" "c:\program files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\portal 2\bin\vvis.exe"
"Light" "c:\program files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\portal 2\bin\vrad.exe"
"GameExeDir" "c:\program files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive"
"MapDir" "c:\program files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\sdk_content\mapsrc"
"BSPDir" "c:\program files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo\maps"
"PrefabDir" "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\alien swarm\bin\Prefabs"
"CordonTexture" "tools\toolsskybox"
"MaterialExcludeCount" "0"
}
}

and you can download my own FGD I made for CS:GO here
(Includes spawn points, env_cascade_light, buyzone, bomb/hostage, weapons, etc.)


Happy mapping! :D
User avatar
Kosire
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r
 
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:25 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Map Battle 51 - Vastness

Postby srredfire on Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:41 pm

Many thanks!
User avatar
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:44 pm

Re: Map Battle 51 - Vastness

Postby Hollow on Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:42 pm

Kosire = god
User avatar
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic
 
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:38 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: Map Battle 51 - Vastness

Postby Zecrah on Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:04 pm

Rules Page wrote:-The map must be made in any official game for the source engine, this includes: Half-Life 2, Half-Life: Source, Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, Half-Life 2: Episode 1, Half-Life 2: Episode 2, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, Portal, Portal 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Day Of Defeat: Source and Half-Life: Lost Coast.


The above says 'this includes' but does not specify it is limited to. Therefore, as long as it's an official engine (Alien Swarm is okay) from Valve it's viable. CS:GO isn't an official engine yet, therefore you can't use it. It's currently a beta engine. The engine doesn't include the content, which you therefore may use. (Content being materials/textures/models/CC etc...)
Major Banter wrote:Zecrah, you've come from nowhere yet have rapidly become a Hammer God.

Wtf.


Check out my weapons tutorial
Zecrah
Design Section Moderator
 
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:56 am

Re: Map Battle 51 - Vastness

Postby Kosire on Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:09 pm

Zecrah wrote:
Rules Page wrote:-The map must be made in any official game for the source engine, this includes: Half-Life 2, Half-Life: Source, Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, Half-Life 2: Episode 1, Half-Life 2: Episode 2, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, Portal, Portal 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Day Of Defeat: Source and Half-Life: Lost Coast.


The above says 'this includes' but does not specify it is limited to. Therefore, as long as it's an official engine (Alien Swarm is okay) from Valve it's viable. CS:GO isn't an official engine yet, therefore you can't use it. It's currently a beta engine. The engine doesn't include the content, which you therefore may use. (Content being materials/textures/models/CC etc...)


Imo CS:GO is an official source engine, since it's live, it's developed by Valve. That the game it is used on is in Beta is another deal.

About MaK's point for it being an advantage over the ones who don't own CS:GO.. Isnt that the same as to people who don't own Portal 2 or whatever to use specific features from that game? (Yes they can buy it.. but you can actually also buy CS:GO beta keys.. or trade with people)
User avatar
Kosire
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r
 
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:25 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Map Battle 51 - Vastness

Postby MaK on Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:38 pm

Buying CS:GO beta keys... that's just silly. My point was it's unfair because it's not available to everyone.
User avatar
MaK
Senior Member
Senior Member
 
Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 12:08 am
Location: USA

Re: Map Battle 51 - Vastness

Postby MrBlackspoon on Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:47 pm

Started collecting a lot of reference images for the scene i am trying to make. Made a custom sand texture first.
And i have modeled my simple "cliffview", from where the initial screenshot will be taken. Spread out the displacement area to get the playground done, for further displacement work.
Will make some more custom props whats needed for this scene.

Far from done.

Image
Image
User avatar
MrBlackspoon
Been Here A While
Been Here A While
 
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:09 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: Map Battle 51 - Vastness

Postby Dives on Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:14 am

That's a pretty good looking rock.
User avatar
Dives
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills
 
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:54 pm
Location: Moorpark, CA

Re: Map Battle 51 - Vastness

Postby Black_Stormy on Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:22 am

That is a very good looking rock. Looks more like the phoenix engine than source.
User avatar
Black_Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills
 
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:03 am
Location: Cairns, QLD, AUS

Re: Map Battle 51 - Vastness

Postby srredfire on Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:30 am

Let's rock and roll.
User avatar
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:44 pm

Re: Map Battle 51 - Vastness

Postby Sathor on Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:56 am

On the German eBay, CS:GO Beta Keys are sold for 80 Euros - a lot more than CS:GO will cost. It is a joke to say you can get the Beta as easy as Portal 2.

I am against allowing CS:GO for the map battle as long as the title has not officially shipped. Should apply to any non-released title.
User avatar
Sathor
Senior Member
Senior Member
 
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:31 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Map Battle 51 - Vastness

Postby srredfire on Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:14 am

Sathor wrote:On the German eBay, CS:GO Beta Keys are sold for 80 Euros - a lot more than CS:GO will cost. It is a joke to say you can get the Beta as easy as Portal 2.

I am against allowing CS:GO for the map battle as long as the title has not officially shipped. Should apply to any non-released title.


Agreed, not everyone can get access to it so I don't think it should be fair to use.
User avatar
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:44 pm
PreviousNext

Return to Design Section

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron