Map Battles - Suggestions

Your chance to get creative and take part in the various design challenges

Moderators: 904, Zecrah

Re: Map Battles - Suggestions

Postby Megadude on Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:19 pm

Current length seems fine to me.
Wrathborne 711 wrote:OH MY GOD.........MEXICANS!

End of Humanity - beta version 3.0 released!
Megadude
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Deathmonkey on Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:24 pm

I believe 3 weeks are the right amount of time.
Portfolio: viewtopic.php?t=17498
"These things happened. They were glorious and they changed the world...and then we fucked up the end game." (Charlie Wilson)
Deathmonkey
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Dark soul on Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:21 am

Who made up this rule that you can't start new Map Battles right after the previous battle is done and have to wait for the voting process end?
Dark soul
Regular
Regular

Postby Stubby on Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:30 am

Too long i think no more late entrys. I think it adds to the comp by making it also sorta a speed compitition too.
Stubby
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby BrokenTripod on Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:46 am

Absolutely loving 1447's idea.

I'm finally free for a bit, so any length of time is perfectly fine for me.

1447's idea is just so...awesome!

I'll try to remember to check back when the competition starts...Recently been neglecting Interlopers.
BrokenTripod

Postby KILLA-COW on Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:53 pm

how dare you neglect us!

i think 1447 has probably come up with the most popular idea ever.
KILLA-COW
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gunbeard on Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:13 pm

My suggestion would be to have a Structural Integrity Compromised map battle theme. Designing realistic, well-supported structures that have at least one area where the entire structure is in danger of collapse.

It would leave a lot of room for the imagination, for instance: A large mining machine on a sturdy looking mount whose girders have just begun to buckle. It would take some realistic brushwork to depict the contortion caused by having a great mass bearing down on iron and steel, warping it. It would be visually dramatic and seem as if it were a frozen moment in time rather than a 3d scene one could walk around.

Also think perhaps a train crashing into the support beams of an overlooking concourse for passengers, or a cliffside with a house ontop that has become critically eroded.

There was a Q3 map I forget the name of (shame on me) that consisted of a lightning bolt striking a belltower. The tower was in the process of collapse but the map was frozen at the moment the bolt struck. Even the raindrops and splashes in the puddles were frozen. It was an incredible piece of art and still a playable and enjoyable level. The sense that the tower was about to fall on your head was palpable.

So to summarize this lengthy suggestion: A Structural Integrity Compromised theme where you have a previously stable and sturdy structure that has become critically endangered by some form of damage, be it erosion or a sudden impact of some kind.

Yes, it's a detailed and possibly boring suggestion but I reckon anyone who wrestles with Hammer as a hobby can pay attention long enough to get the idea.
Gunbeard
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Sentura on Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:45 pm

i am not a fan of that suggestion.

why? first off, i believe these map battles to be static art; not dynamic as in a level or a movie. second, having to find a point where a building is on the brink of collapse could for many be difficult to implement realistically; i don't think anyone here has an engineering degree. somehow i also think the idea is very restrictive, what with mostly being human made buildings or machinery, and vertical; leaving much less room for imagination than i personally prefer.
Sentura
Regular
Regular

Postby 1447 on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:05 pm

KILLA-COW wrote:i think 1447 has probably come up with the most popular idea ever.

You warm my heart:D LOL
Veteran
Veteran

Postby KILLA-COW on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:15 pm

Don't push it you bender.
KILLA-COW
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gunbeard on Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:48 am

Sentura wrote:i believe these map battles to be static art; not dynamic as in a level or a movie.
The challenge can be conducted to completion under static or dynamic criteria, it's just a matter of imagination and implementation. Yes this may be difficult for some.. leading us to your second point..
Sentura wrote:second, having to find a point where a building is on the brink of collapse could for many be difficult to implement realistically; i don't think anyone here has an engineering degree.
Not my problem. Challenges are not for everyone. That said, a challenge that alienates a large portion of the readership may be considered a bad thing, so perhaps opt for a simpler, less restrictive challenge instead.
Sentura wrote:somehow i also think the idea is very restrictive, what with mostly being human made buildings or machinery, and vertical.

Not necessarily vertical. Off the top of my head: A lab with a crack in a wall and reinforced window looking out onto a test chamber where astronauts are practising zero g maneuvers. An avalanche piles snow up against the wall of a ski lodge. Plenty of natural methods including landslides and lava.

Yes there is a predominantly vertical element because gravity is the main force at play, but that gives an opportunity for those who think outside of common assumptions to shine. An original twist on a theme has often been the clincher for winning challenges, after all.

All challenges restrict the imagination to the confines of the criteria, but I still think this challenge is viable, even if it is not the most flexible of ideas. Yes there are less restrictive challenges out there that appeal to larger amounts of folks, but we still need the occasional head-scratcher.

Also, 1447's 'something's not right' idea needs some fleshing out & maybe a few examples to get brains going and garner more support.. any input?
Gunbeard
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Kremator on Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:24 am

Gunbeard wrote:All challenges restrict the imagination to the confines of the criteria, but I still think this challenge is viable, even if it is not the most flexible of ideas. Yes there are less restrictive challenges out there that appeal to larger amounts of folks, but we still need the occasional head-scratcher.

I believe the last "Vertical" competition was restrictive (and to some degree, "head-scratching") enough, I hardly see any appeal in this idea.

Gunbeard wrote:Also, 1447's 'something's not right' idea needs some fleshing out & maybe a few examples to get brains going and garner more support.. any input?

I believe his idea is best left the way it is, it's not something that can be "fleshed out" nor does it need to be, he also provided some examples for us along with his suggestions. I trust such open concept as his would garner more imaginative entries and a greater degree of artistic freedom.
Kremator
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby riddellriddell on Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:32 am

how about make a brush version of a source model?
riddellriddell
Regular
Regular

Postby punky on Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:50 am

riddellriddell wrote:how about make a brush version of a source model?

that would fit better in the model section, it won't show any mapping skills apart from brushwork, there are tons of other skills a good level designers needs, like lighting etc
punky
Veteran
Veteran

Postby MaK on Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:35 pm

Just an early suggestion that the next map battle should be "Keep It Clean". It's challenging, and very different from most map battle themes. Why can't we keep it clean?
MaK

PreviousNext

Return to Design Section