Very minor annoyance with this board

Comments & Suggestions about Interlopers.net

Very minor annoyance with this board

Postby Knights on Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:50 am

I know this doesn't happen on other boards but on this one every time I click on a link, whether an image or offsite link it doesn't open a new page but continues on this page. I have a habit of closing those pages and then realizing I just closed out of interlopers. :? Can this be fixed?
Random gallery... Knights_Stuff.
Home page --> http://www.knights.interlopers.net/
Knights
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Re: Very minor annoyance with this board

Postby KILLA-COW on Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:21 am

Right click open in new tab..

Or use the back button??
KILLA-COW
Veteran
Veteran

Postby vcool on Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:22 am

My Mouse Wheel if clicked, opens links in new tabs. :D

Neighborhood Forum Elitist
vcool
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Blink on Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:35 am

Those websites that do open things in new windows are the ones that you should be annoyed with. It's frowned upon in the modern web design community to open new browsers, and I agree.

Here are the top 5 reasons why you should beware of opening links in a new window:

1. Unless you warn them, Web users are likely to expect the new page to load in the current window. Unexpected surprises can be fun, but not when you're browsing the Web.

2. The act of opening a new browser window resets the back button in that window. The back button is the second most used navigation function (after hyperlinks, source: useit.com), so resetting it is a big no-no.

3. To open a new browser window can disorient very novice Web users and the visually impaired. They might not realise that a new window has opened and might struggle to switch between windows.

4. Opening a new browser window disrespects the desires of your users. If they want a new window, they'll ask for one. Don't force a new window upon users unless there's a very good reason to do so.

5. New browser windows can make an already cluttered taskbar even more difficult to use. We've all spent ages hunting through the taskbar in search of the window we want. Don't make this process even harder by increasing the number of windows the user has open.

But Using New Windows Keeps Users on my Site!

Not on its own, it doesn't! Web users will stay on a site because it has the information they're looking for, or because it helps them achieve their goals -- not because the browser window is still open.

If users want to return to a Website, they'll use the back button. If a new window is used, the back button in this window is reset, so users won't be able to do return to your site using this common method (cue frustrated users).

Source: http://www.sitepoint.com/article/beware ... new-window

Use your more browser more efficently by middle clicking on a link to open a new tab (Firefox, Opera, IE7) or if you're using IE6 then think about upgrading. Ironically the pages staying in the same browser will benefit IE6 users the most as they do not have the tabs feature.
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby Jasard on Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:43 am

I have a habit of, for example if im on a page with several links like a forum that I'd expect to open more that 1 link of, hitting middle mouse button on those links. This opens it up in a new tab, most sites I go on don't open in new windows and its common practise not to have links open in new windows in most sites. The middle mouse thing is a cool feature and is of no more effort than left clicking so its worth getting in to the habit of doing that so you can choose what opens in new windows and what doesnt.
Jasard
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby vcool on Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:54 am

Middle button = win, but my Logitech SetPoint always disables it. Got rid of that nasty thing.

Neighborhood Forum Elitist
vcool
Veteran
Veteran

Postby MELVIn on Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:04 am

vcool wrote:Middle button = win, but my Logitech SetPoint always disables it. Got rid of that nasty thing.

QFT
Interlopers.net steam-chat.
Come on in and ask all your level-design questions, or discuss games.
MELVIn
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby nub on Thu May 01, 2008 10:16 pm

I really don't mind either way, but I do make the occasional mistake of hitting the X button and closing the whole browser. I often am aware that it's either loaded it on the site or in a new tab/window, so I rarely make the mistake of closing the entire browser.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Return to Feedback Corner