Map for TF2 today!

Any aspects of level design for the Source engine.

Postby MrTwoVideoCards on Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:44 am

Indeed!
MrTwoVideoCards
Monothetic

Postby Tablespoon on Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:51 am

If you take your time and follow OP's directions precisely it will work. I followed her directions with Portal substituted for TF2 and it worked great, as well. Highly recommended.
Tablespoon
Regular
Regular

Postby CanMan on Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:18 pm

I followed the directions. Opend the SDK, new mod off HL2 SP, directory MyMod, name PortalMap, got into hammer, setup the options, and when I close hammer and try to re-open it, I get this - http://i21.tinypic.com/2aiform.jpg . I remade it with a different name, did the same thing, but the error still comes up after I config hammer. Help?
Interlopers.net steam-chat
Come on in and ask all your level-design questions, or discuss games.
CanMan
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Tablespoon on Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:24 pm

I'm on my way (or, rather, should be and will be shortly) to have lunch with my grandparents but I'll give you a painfully detailed step-by-step when I get home if you're still having problems. :)
Tablespoon
Regular
Regular

Postby Grudge on Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:34 pm

Is there anyway to fix the horrible checker texture problem when you use this to config with Portal?
Uhh... what cat?
Grudge
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Noizekick on Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:37 pm

I *finally* got TF2 up and running with Hammer. Got that texture problem, but I see there's a fix for that.

But when I want to test my map(through "File>>Run map" within Hammer)it doesn't work. I get the Compile Process Window, but that's all. There are no errors too.

Is there a way to test my map for TF2?
Noizekick

Re: Map for TF2 today!

Postby Tablespoon on Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:27 pm

Emazing wrote:After building a map, simply put the bsp into your TF2 map directory, and it uses all the materials/models in the official TF2 GCFs. Note that you can't build cubemaps in TF2, so if you wish to do so, you must load the map up in another mod to build the cubemaps.

Have fun!

You have to copy/paste your map's bsp from MyMod's (or whatever you chose to name your mod) maps folder to TF2's (or Portal's) maps folder. Then launch the game manually and you're good to go. You never actually play the mod you've created, it only exists for SDK purposes.

If you're doing this with Portal, the game currently doesn't have anything in place to let you load straight bsp's through clicking (as far as I could tell, anyway) so you must enable the console (Options->Keyboard->Advanced...), press the tilde (~) key which is above your Tab key and left of your 1 key, and type (without quotes) "map x" where x is the name of your map. For example, if your map is called "superfuntest1.bsp", you would type," map superfuntest1" and press Enter.

CanMan wrote:I followed the directions. Opend the SDK, new mod off HL2 SP, directory MyMod, name PortalMap, got into hammer, setup the options, and when I close hammer and try to re-open it, I get this - http://i21.tinypic.com/2aiform.jpg . I remade it with a different name, did the same thing, but the error still comes up after I config hammer. Help?
Hey man, I ended up not ever coming home last night so I wasn't able to get back to you yesterday. See, what happened was that I got do drive my mom and me to Grammy and Grampy's house in Altadena which is about an hour away from Laguna Hills, which is where I live. After we got home my mother realized that she'd left her purse in Altadena (good times). She had plans last night that she didn't want to break so I told her to just go have fun and drove back up there to retrieve the purse. I didn't mind TOO much because I had some good Infected Mushroom (musical group) with me and I got to drive my mom's RSX Type-S because my Civic needs an oil change... so by the time I got back I'd gone through about 4 hours and 4 minutes of driving, including the 20 minutes it took each way to get to the Chinese restaurant that my grandparents had selected (BY THE WAY, STAY AWAY FROM "OAK TREE INN" -- The mushrooms tasted as though they'd been chopped on a cutting board which had recently been wiped with Lysol, the service was comically terrible, all meat was suspiciously rubbery, and there was a "Grade B" sign hanging proudly in the front window... the only redeeming value was the deliciousness of the chunks of pineapple they had mixed in with the sweet and sour pork, but that's hardly revolutionary and, when you think about it, it's next to impossible to fuck up pineapple... so yeah, STAY AWAY).

Anyway, I got home, parked the RSX in the driveway, unloaded the 4 chairs and card table my grandpa had given us (I guess it's Mom's turn to host a Mahjong game and the only card table we have is being used by my brother to hold his TV), jumped in the Civic, hauled ass over to a friend's house, and spent the rest of the night there with four other friends. Beer pong, Indian Poker, and Kings are great after 4 hours on Southern California freeways... but now I've got a headache.

LONG STORY SHORT, sorry I wasn't able to keep my promise of getting right back to you.
NOW, TO ADDRESS YOUR PROBLEM:
Actually, I'd said I'd give you a painfully detailed step-by-step but the first thing that I did that was different from you (and mine works) is that when I created my new mod, I didn't do it off the HL2 single player. I wasn't sure, either, which to do but I selected the 3rd, I believe, option which was to create it from scratch. Try that and post your results. Hopefully that will take care of it for you. :)
Tablespoon
Regular
Regular

Postby MrTwoVideoCards on Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:26 pm

Grudge wrote:Is there anyway to fix the horrible checker texture problem when you use this to config with Portal?

Did you convert those textures too?
MrTwoVideoCards
Monothetic

Postby Noizekick on Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:37 pm

Fox0r wrote:
Emazing wrote:After building a map, simply put the bsp into your TF2 map directory, and it uses all the materials/models in the official TF2 GCFs. Note that you can't build cubemaps in TF2, so if you wish to do so, you must load the map up in another mod to build the cubemaps.

Have fun!

You have to copy/paste your map's bsp from MyMod's (or whatever you chose to name your mod) maps folder to TF2's (or Portal's) maps folder. Then launch the game manually and you're good to go. You never actually play the mod you've created, it only exists for SDK purposes.

If you're doing this with Portal, the game currently doesn't have anything in place to let you load straight bsp's through clicking (as far as I could tell, anyway) so you must enable the console (Options->Keyboard->Advanced...), press the tilde (~) key which is above your Tab key and left of your 1 key, and type (without quotes) "map x" where x is the name of your map. For example, if your map is called "superfuntest1.bsp", you would type," map superfuntest1" and press Enter.

Ok, works fine. Thanks for that!
Noizekick

Postby Tablespoon on Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:56 pm

MrTwoVideoCards wrote:
Grudge wrote:Is there anyway to fix the horrible checker texture problem when you use this to config with Portal?

Did you convert those textures too?

Yeah, make sure you do that. :)

Noizekick wrote:
Fox0r wrote:

Have fun!

Ok, works fine. Thanks for that!

Glad to help. :)
Tablespoon
Regular
Regular

Re: TF2 Hammer Texture Fix

Postby Raeven0 on Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:24 am

Degenatron wrote:The problem seems to be that hammer tries to display this "Overlay/Detail001" texture on certain types of hardware (mine is an ATI Graphics Card). The fix is to remove this reference for the detail texture from the VMT files.

I don't have TF2, so I can't check this myself, but this is what sprang to my mind:

The implication is that "overlay/detail001" is being displayed in Hammer's 3D view as an overlay on the materials desired. If that is the case, then it would be possible to create a fake detail001 material, fully transparent, so that the materials underneath it could be displayed properly.

Addendum: I got one of the guys in my channel to try this; it does indeed fix the checkerboard problem. Quite a bit easier than replacing all the textures, I'd say. :P
Raeven0
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Tablespoon on Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:22 am

Raeven0 wrote:
Degenatron wrote:The problem seems to be that hammer tries to display this "Overlay/Detail001" texture on certain types of hardware (mine is an ATI Graphics Card). The fix is to remove this reference for the detail texture from the VMT files.

I don't have TF2, so I can't check this myself, but this is what sprang to my mind:

The implication is that "overlay/detail001" is being displayed in Hammer's 3D view as an overlay on the materials desired. If that is the case, then it would be possible to create a fake detail001 material, fully transparent, so that the materials underneath it could be displayed properly.

Addendum: I got one of the guys in my channel to try this; it does indeed fix the checkerboard problem. Quite a bit easier than replacing all the textures, I'd say. :P
Good call, dude. Did you join to say that? Welcome :)
Tablespoon
Regular
Regular

Postby Noizekick on Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:31 am

Raeven0 wrote:

Ok, so could you (or someone else offcourse) explain on how to do that?
I'm not a hero on this subject :)

-edit: I have tried the other solution with BK ReplaceEm, but it didn't work for me.
Noizekick

Postby MrTwoVideoCards on Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:56 am

Noizekick wrote:
Raeven0 wrote:

Ok, so could you (or someone else offcourse) explain on how to do that?
I'm not a hero on this subject :)

-edit: I have tried the other solution with BK ReplaceEm, but it didn't work for me.

There is absolutely no reason that you have to do this at all.
MrTwoVideoCards
Monothetic

Postby Slutty_hoe on Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:52 pm

im getting this wierd up error for some reason i did everything that emazing said to do and made the config up but i dunno could be something wrong with my computer

You Can't Have Manslaughter Without Laughter

Slutty_hoe
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

PreviousNext

Return to Hammer Editor Help