The Simple Questions Thread.

Any aspects of level design for the Source engine.

The Simple Questions Thread.

Postby jgoodroad on Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:02 am

Have you ever had a question, so unbelievably simple you felt that wasting an entire thread would only serve to disgrace your family and leave a permanent scar on the forums? No? well in case that changes, you can dump your simple questions here. You know, save space and whatnot.

I'll start... Can you create a location outside a skybox that the player can access even though there isn't a skybox around it? by means of teleport, not crossing the skybox. (yes/no)

Note: this is for SIMPLE questions, If you have a more complex question a new thread might be right for you.
Last edited by jgoodroad on Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
===[]"

current projects: nmo_boardwalk, nmo_asylum
jgoodroad

Re: those simple questions thread...

Postby Noodles on Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:06 am

jgoodroad wrote:I'll start... Can you create a location outside a skybox that the player can access even though there isn't a skybox around it? by means of teleport, not crossing the skybox. (yes/no)

Um what? You mean teleport to a room outside your skybox? Yes.
'English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havershambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary Rawlinson End.'
Noodles
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby jgoodroad on Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:27 am

Noodles wrote:
jgoodroad wrote:I'll start... Can you create a location outside a skybox that the player can access even though there isn't a skybox around it? by means of teleport, not crossing the skybox. (yes/no)

Um what? You mean teleport to a room outside your skybox? Yes.

great! see, now Instead of wasting a full post for one small question I have provided an "archive" so to speek, of very simple questions and answers
===[]"

current projects: nmo_boardwalk, nmo_asylum
jgoodroad

Postby Zecrah on Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:22 pm

Lol'd at that :D

Seems useful. I need to think of some simple questions. I know I had some, I just forget and/or disregarded them hehe.
Major Banter wrote:Zecrah, you've come from nowhere yet have rapidly become a Hammer God.

Wtf.

Check out my weapons tutorial
Zecrah
Design Section Moderator

Postby tron00 on Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:38 pm

I've got one. It's for L4D, but maybe other Source games use it.. There's an Entity, I believe, that you can use that will force zombies to chase it? Anybody know that one? I saw it somewhere and lost the info. Thanks.
tron00
Regular
Regular

Postby Zecrah on Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:49 pm

info_target is often used to just specify a target if that's all you need as well, but I don't do NPCs much ^^
Major Banter wrote:Zecrah, you've come from nowhere yet have rapidly become a Hammer God.

Wtf.

Zecrah
Design Section Moderator

Postby tron00 on Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:50 pm

I think it's info_goal_infected_chase. I'll try those, though. Thanks. This thread made me try harder to find it. I think it's how the Dead Before Dawn team got the zombies to run in the tunnel in their opening scene.
tron00
Regular
Regular

Postby Zecrah on Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:11 pm

Glad you found it even if we couldn't help ^^

I kind of have a question: on point_camera has anyone used or knows what the "Interpolate to player" flag or option is?(I know it's there but can't quite find it) I tried using it and not a lot happened, my view just kinda screwed up. It probably doesn't help I don't exactly know what interpolate means, let alone using it in an entity xD

Wtf.

Zecrah
Design Section Moderator

Postby ErikKiller on Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:30 pm

"Interpolation is a specific case of curve fitting, in which the function must go exactly through the data points."
So I guess Interpolate to player is that the camera follows a certain path pre-set by some "data points" or entities in our case, the last point being the player itself?
I guess it might be kind of like the chopper-view-to-the-player-you-play-as in the beginning of L4D...
But it's all a guess.
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Zecrah on Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:38 pm

Hmmm. I don't play L4D but I think I know what you mean. I'll test it out tomorrow now I know what it means and see if you were right. Thanks. ^^

EDIT:
Got mah question. How can I stop the player from doing anything? In relation to the point_camera entity it has a flag to freeze the player. It sort of does, except they can still activate their flashlight etc. I just found out about game_ui so that could help but I still don't know. Does anyone know a foolproof way of stopping the player from doing anything?(Except obviously using the escape button...) Or if not, a way to code one? xD

Wtf.

Zecrah
Design Section Moderator

Postby Smurftyours on Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:40 am

I have some texture questions that don't seem worthy of a thread so.... I'm going to post here.

Dose source support all sizes of textures as long as their powers of two? Example: 2,4,8,16,64,128,256,512,1024,2048 and so on. Dose source Support other texture types? Example: Detail, Detail normal, Height map (not bump map) and or any others.
jangalomph wrote:Wise words from a wise man. ^
Smurftyours

Postby Corigami on Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:50 am

Source supports all powers of two up to 4096. There are many shaders that can be applied to a texture:
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Category:List_of_Shader_Parameters
Corigami
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby ErikKiller on Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:49 am

There was this program that converted height maps into Hammer maps but I can't remember the name ATM.
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Zecrah on Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:39 am

Nem's Terrain Generator is the first one I can think of that supports that
http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?p=8

I think Terragen may also support it but I've never used it myself

Wtf.

Zecrah
Design Section Moderator

Postby ErikKiller on Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:17 pm

Yeah I thought about Terragen. But Nem's stuff looks quality like always.
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Next

Return to Hammer Editor Help