Propper issues

Any aspects of level design for the Source engine.

Re: Propper issues

Postby vcool on Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:43 am

no idea

Neighborhood Forum Elitist
vcool
Veteran
Veteran

Postby gtamike_TSGK on Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:53 am

Slashgibber wrote:Instead of creating a whole new thread I'll just semi-hijack this one. Today I encountered a weird error with propper after I did a fresh install of all the SDK stuff. When I try to compile the model I get this error

http://i.imgur.com/z86Mi.png

What's causing this?

Use a .bat file instead; look back through the pages to see how.
Last edited by gtamike_TSGK on Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mapper since 2007 http://gamebanana.com/members/215600
gtamike_TSGK wrote:Innovation making new ideas come to life ¦)
gtamike_TSGK
Regular
Regular

Postby Slashgibber on Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:23 am

gtamike_TSGK wrote:Use a .bat file instead

I made a bat file, but still got the same error.
Slashgibber
Regular
Regular

Postby Aus_Karlos on Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:10 pm

How do i use Propper to compile a dynamic model? The model itself has no animation but it will be moving with a func_tracktrain.
Under Construction
mg_sawI
Aus_Karlos
Regular
Regular

Postby Dives on Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:22 pm

Propper creates props compatible with prop_dynamic by default.
But if you mean the .vmf you plan to convert into a model has a tracktrain within it, then thats impossible.
Dives
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Aus_Karlos on Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:26 am

No just the model. Im aware how propper works but im very new to the modeling aspect of gaming. And i thought by default anything from propper is Static. How can i edit the QC to reflect a standard prop_dynamic?
Under Construction
mg_sawI
Aus_Karlos
Regular
Regular

Postby Slashgibber on Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:29 am

I figured out what the problem was and managed to work around it. The Propper_model entity wants me to prompt where I want it to compile the model, which for me is models/props_subway/propname.

But studiomdl only wants the name of the subdirectory in the models folder, which should be props_subway/propname, but because the QC propper creates says models/props_subway/propname, studiomdl tries to compile the model to models/models/props_subway/propname.

When I only put props_subway/propname in the propper_model entity, it tries to create the props_subway folder directly in my mod directory.
Slashgibber
Regular
Regular

Postby KrAk on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:59 am

Hi everyone,
I have a big problem whit propper.
Each model created is without collisions. I tried many configurations but the result is the same.
The bruhs at the beginning are not func_details...

Where is my error?
When i use the bloc entity "propper_model" :

When i use the model just created by propper :

Thx for your help!
Last edited by KrAk on Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KrAk

Postby Dives on Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:58 pm

There's a maximum of 40 brushes allowed in the collision model, so make sure you don't exceed that.
Dives
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby KrAk on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:46 pm

Dives wrote:There's a maximum of 40 brushes allowed in the collision model, so make sure you don't exceed that.

Thx for your answer but i try whit only ONE brush and anything change... I will fall in depression... :-D

EDIT : It work whit an old version of propper with the same configuration... I d'ont understand what is wrong...
KrAk

Postby Slashgibber on Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:26 am

KrAk wrote:
Dives wrote:There's a maximum of 40 brushes allowed in the collision model, so make sure you don't exceed that.

Thx for your answer but i try whit only ONE brush and anything change... I will fall in depression... :-D

EDIT : It work whit an old version of propper with the same configuration... I d'ont understand what is wrong...

You need to tie a physics mesh to it.

If the prop itself has a pretty cheap brush count, just type in the same as what you put in the name field.

Another method is to create a cheaper version with brushes, tie them to a func_brush. Give it a name and put that name in the physics mesh field.
Slashgibber
Regular
Regular

Postby KrAk on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:46 am

It works! THX a lot!
KrAk

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:44 am

guys, quick question. i am trying out propper for the first time (v.31 from moddb) and i am having trouble locating the model after it compiles. looking at the compile log afterward, it appears to have generated a .qc file but not much else...i'm totally new to modeling so i'm still learning about what a .qc file is, and whatever other files are required to make a model work in source. but i was expecting some kind of Microsoft Visio file? i just dont know, lol

i'm still reading through a few different threads as well as vdc for assistance, but any help from you guys would also be appreciated. thanks!
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gambini on Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:35 am

Well personally I´d recommend propper 0.24. 0.31 only adds the function of compiling models within a map AFAIK. Which is in my opinion quite useless unless you are a lazy gal that can´t just copy what you want and paste it in another map.

But assuming it works as 0.24 works, you have to put an entity named info_prop_options, and should be something like this: I´m omiting the obvious

name: doesnt really affect the model as its the entity name only.
model name:path example: yourmod/yournewmodel
material path: Where the model is going to look for its vmts example: models/yourmod/
scale: how big the model is going to be in comparision to hammer scale, use 0.25 and the model will be a quarter of what it looks like (useful to have more grid control)
sourcefolder: not Source itself but where your source files will be stored.
welding thresold: How much distant vertexes next to each other will be merged (only useful for complex shapes)
automatically compile: YES <<<< this may be your problem
fix up materials: if you made your prop out of lightmappedgeneric materials, propper will make a vertexlightgeneric copy in your custom "material path".

Notice you have sometimes to restart hammer so the model viewer can show the model.

Use func_detail for the mesh and then build a rough mesh around it with nodraw and leave it as world, so it is the collision model.
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Dives on Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:44 am

Propper will put the files in the directory you specify in the "Model Name" key value. So if you put "propper/test_model" there, it will name the model files "test_model" and place them in a folder called "propper" in the models directory of the game you compiled under. Make sure the "propper" folder exists before you compile.

Also, thank you cfoust for making propper. My mapping project is currently at 390 propper-made models.
Dives
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

PreviousNext

Return to Hammer Editor Help