Leak Through World Geometry (Pointfile) [FIXED]

Any aspects of level design for the Source engine.

Leak Through World Geometry (Pointfile) [FIXED]

Postby Wargable_066 on Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:15 pm

Hey Everyone,

I've searched around and haven't been able to find a solution to this problem I am having.

I was doing some map edits using the Cordon tool so I could have a cleaner grid to work with. I decided to do a full map compile after some editing and it is reporting that there are leaks. Normally this isn't an issue; however, when I load the point file, the line is drawing to entities through World Geometry. See below:

Since my pointfile doesn't seem to want to work, I've tried deleting it and recompiling to make a new one, but it doesn't seem to have any affect. I hid all details on the map (props/func_details) and checked the map for leaks (especially in the area where I had been editing. I can't find any evident leaks. The issue doesn't appear to be with the entities themselves, it seems to want to point to entities that have always had no issues compiling in the past.

My question now becomes is the pointfile issue fixable? Any input is appreciated.

Thank you,
Last edited by Wargable_066 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wargable_066
Dumpling
Dumpling

Re: Leak Through World Geometry (Pointfile)

Postby Stormy on Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:10 pm

This was happening to me yesterday. I have no idea what causes it but in order to fix it I compiled the map with all visgroups visible (and cordon deactivated) and made sure all the compile tools were set to normal, not fast. Good luck.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby LordDz on Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:19 pm

When you disabled the func_details, you did keep the info_player_start I hope, or hammer won't know what is the inside of the map and what is the outside.
And yes, always do vvis on normal, lighting can be off or normal/fast, doesn't matter.
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby marnamai on Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:11 pm

Most likely an offset origin from a brush based entity, uncheck all visgroups except for the "brush entities" and "triggers" visgroup. Then select all, right click and center origins.

marnamai
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Wargable_066 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:33 am

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I tried compiling the map with all visgroups visible and all the compiler settings set to Normal but I'm seeing the same result.

If I try to compile the map with details turned off, it keeps player starts (both terrorist/counter-terrorist). Compiling with these visgroups off gets the same result.

I did like marnamai suggested and selected all my brush entities and centered the origins. There was one that was slightly off, but all of my brush entities are pretty far away from any sealing world geometry, so this doesn't seem to have an affect. Also as a side note: The compiler likes to pick random entities where it will say it's leaking through the floor or through the skybox. It's told me that prop_statics, func_rotating, keyfframe_ropes, and other entities are leaking, and sometimes even after deleting these entities and trying to compile, the editor still thinks that the entity is there.

I was hoping it might just be something with this version of the map (that maybe this particular file got corrupted), so I loaded up an older version that I know was able to compile I'd been storing on another drive and that version is now unable to compile. Pretty confused at this point but hopefully I can figure something out.

Thanks all,
Wargable_066
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby LordDz on Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:48 am

Well, use the "Check for Errors" in hammer.
Try turning off all entities, then just having two info_terrorist/counter spawns.

If you're still having leaks, post the .vmf , we don't steal, I Promise.
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby ErikKiller on Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:02 am

Random idea, try cutting the brush in half. Could be too long?
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby zombie@computer on Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:33 pm

Make sure the map compiles ok (sounds like a problem during the compile itself). Otherwise, check the textures of the brush thats being leaked through. Some textures make a brush leakable, such as see-through textures or some tool textures.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Re: Leak Through World Geometry (Pointfile) [FIXED]

Postby Wargable_066 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:30 am

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Haven't been able to work on my map for a little while but when I came back to it today I was able to figure out the issue.

As it turns out I had "Radius Culling" active. My view distance within the sphere created wasn't large enough to see the whole map so it wasn't compiling what wasn't visible. This explains why the point file appeared to be going through world geometry when I loaded it.

So lesson learned. Turn off Radius Culling before map compile unless the view distance can see the whole map anyway.
Wargable_066
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby LordDz on Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:57 pm

Shouldn't radius culling work somewhat in the way as cordon does anyhow? That it creates its own skybox?
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Wargable_066 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:14 pm

That's what I thought. I was thinking it was tied to the Cordon tool somehow, like it would only have an effect if cordon was on but I guess that's not the case.
Wargable_066
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Stormy on Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:16 pm

Radius culling also lags the hell out of my hammer. It seems that the computation required to decide what to cull and what to render is far more intense than that to just render everything. Thanks for the solution in any case.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby ErikKiller on Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:12 pm

Yeah, didn't think about that, radius culling is pretty shitty and I think I even had a similar issue ages ago. Good job!
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Return to Hammer Editor Help