converting goldsource maps to source

Any aspects of level design for the Source engine.

converting goldsource maps to source

Postby FPSMoto on Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:36 am

So I've read about 15 different posts on various forums/websites on the net and can't seem to find a good map decompiler that won't screw up the brushes when viewed in Source. bsp2map and winbspzip are the ones I'm aware of but they don't seem to ever want to snap to grid by default and they basically split each side of a brush into 6 separate brushes. Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening or have a different solution?

Here's an example of what I'm seeing after decompiling a goldsource map, saving as .rmf and viewing in Source:

I don't need the entities, textures or anything else. All I'm looking for is brush architecture.
FPSMoto

Re: converting goldsource maps to source

Postby zombie@computer on Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:31 pm

Compiled maps store no 'brushes', just 'brush sides'. Unless the decompiler can guess which brushsides belong to the same brush and which brush-sides have been stripped during the compile process to recreate them, you can only end up with one brush per brushside. I seriously doubt anyone would want to create such advanced algorithms for something so trivial.

I dont know of any other decompilers, but then again, decompilers aren't really my cup of tea.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Sathor on Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:32 pm

Wouldn't it be enough to use the broken brushes to take the general measurements of the map and entirly rebuilt it? No decompiler, as zac explained, will be able to restore the brushwork well.
The brushwork in goldsrc should not be too complex ...
Sathor

Postby FPSMoto on Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:29 pm

I've already rebuilt a map using that method and it takes a long time because I have to delete 6 brush sides, replace with the real brush and rinse/repeat. I suppose I could just have a side-by-side view of the map in both versions of hammer, but a single hammer editor already takes up a large amount of space on my screen. I'd have to do an awful lot of Alt-tabbing just to do this.

I'm surprised there aren't more clever algorithms to accomplish this considering the amount of maps there are for goldsource games. I mean even if it were just there to rebuild the architecture rather than the entities/displacements/etc, it'd be vastly better than what's currently available.

You'd think that it'd be able to identify which brush faces go where and make a whole brush out of each 6 sides.

I could be spending time updating a map (obviously with credit to the original mapper, if available) instead of having to rebuild the entire thing from scratch, even with the old map as a guide.
FPSMoto

Postby Mehis on Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:33 am

Now, it shouldn't take THAT long. Making the old map a custom visgroup, toggling between both and recreating the brushes.

Also, you can always just make one half of the map and copy it over. Assuming that you're converting a TFC map.

How do I know? I stalk you at night.
Mehis
Regular
Regular

Return to Hammer Editor Help