Part of my level not lighting

Any aspects of level design for the Source engine.

Part of my level not lighting

Postby TorQueMoD on Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:37 am

For some reason a portion of my level simply refuses to accept light from the light_environment entity. I changed it to green to make it easier to see. The area will light if I throw a light entity down there set to pure white, but I was trying to raise the ambient lighting a bit with some colored light entities and they're not taking for some weird reason. Even spot lights on the wall of a building are working fine in the upper area but get cut off in the lower... check the video.

I've never seen this before. Compile log below... no errors that I spotted. Not leaked. Fast Vis and Rad.

Video:
http://youtu.be/Uoo60rgDOrU

Compile Log:
http://pastebin.com/RKmm3QHC
-TorQue[MoD]
Environment and Game designer
http://www.torquemod.com
TorQueMoD
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Re: Part of my level not lighting

Postby LordDz on Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:00 pm

Always run Vvis on normal, it usually bugs otherwise.
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby uberkirsche on Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:06 pm

there are a few possible reasons - I can't tell from your screen shot if you have any water in your map, water has to be done correctly, no matter what

this is from the first compile log you posted

"waterindices 474/65536 948/131072 ( 0.7%)" = notice the percentage

this is from the last compile

"waterindices 56199/65536 112398/131072 (85.8%) VERY FULL!"

I have seen this in my maps before, even when I have no water in the map. I suggest you manually check your perimeter brushes to ensure there are no leaks, it will not always show a leak in the compile log and it will not always write a point file. Secondly, check the brush faces you have that are unlit in hammer and ensure they are not a texture for a model

if you have not used any HINT textured brushes to control vis leaves, I suggest you do so for the whole map.

Func_detail is not always the answer. I am not sure what your experience level is with hammer, but if you look at the grid from the top down, the green intersecting lines in the middle denote world center, which is only of any real importance if you are going to use a sky_camera entity, the other red lines denote 1024 units where the machine will automatically emplace a vis leaf no matter if you have made use of the hint textured brushes. This is usually the cause of issues with blacking out, but it is not necessarily the end-all and be-all.

I suggest you take a run at the hint brush to see what happens. If you don't know how to do that, I can explain with some simple drawings. If you still have a problem I can help you but it is easiest to look at the actual vmf file itself

another suggestion is that when you are going to re-compile a map, that you delete the previous .bsp, .prt and .vmx files. Be careful not to delete your .vmf

sometimes aberrations can occur when continually over-writing the map files and this can corrupt it

cheers
uberkirsche

Postby TorQueMoD on Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:44 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I did do a full compile at first with everything on normal which is what led to me messing around with the green light. Lots of experience with Hammer (1999), just haven't used it in a few years.

I'm going to re-work the map properly... this was just my blockout version so I haven't done any optimization yet. Going to start with that later today. And yes I did notice that I had really high water index though there's not really much water... I'll try deleting that and see what happens.
-TorQue[MoD]
TorQueMoD
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby ErikKiller on Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:21 pm

I've seen something similar when compiling without vrad for CS:GO.
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby TorQueMoD on Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:30 pm

ok cleaning up the surrounding geometry that I was using to close up the level fixed the issue. Might have been a leak after all.
-TorQue[MoD]
TorQueMoD
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby ErikKiller on Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:07 am

TorQueMoD wrote:ok cleaning up the surrounding geometry that I was using to close up the level fixed the issue. Might have been a leak after all.

A leak that didn't leak. Stay classy Source, stay classy.
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby [KIRBY] on Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:12 pm

leaks are bizarre at times, once I was getting a leak on a map that was 100% sealed, when I loaded a pointfile, it drew a red line in void that did not touch anything, it was like 1024 units away from any geometry. to solve that problem, I have made a bsp brush over the red line, leak was still there, so when I loaded pointfile again, there was ANOTHER red line not far from the other one, I put bsp brush over it again and 6 pointless red lines later I had no leaks
[KIRBY]
Regular
Regular

Postby ErikKiller on Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:15 pm

[KIRBY] wrote:leaks are bizarre at times, once I was getting a leak on a map that was 100% sealed, when I loaded a pointfile, it drew a red line in void that did not touch anything, it was like 1024 units away from any geometry. to solve that problem, I have made a bsp brush over the red line, leak was still there, so when I loaded pointfile again, there was ANOTHER red line not far from the other one, I put bsp brush over it again and 6 pointless red lines later I had no leaks

Sounds like the origin of some entity buggering out of bounds.
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby TorQueMoD on Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:23 pm

Hey guys,

So I've got the same weird lighting issue again and can't for the life of me figure it out. I managed to fix it in the last build of the map by completely re-designing the skybox and making sure it was nicely divided into sections and then sealing the entire map with solid brush work with nodraw so that it was a nice even cube. I decided to re-design the layout so I started again from scratch and I've run into the issue again.

There's no actual LEAK according to the compile log but it gives me the error that some static props are outside the map which is untrue... they're obviously just the closest things to the leak but here's where it gets more frustrating... there's no .lin file so I can't actually load it into Hammer to find where this leak is.
I swear to god the map is 100% sealed. I'm going bonkers!
here's my VMF (using custom models and textures that aren't included so just look in Flat mode: http://www.torquemod.com/blackout_vmf.zip
-TorQue[MoD]
TorQueMoD
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Return to Hammer Editor Help