Diagonal Stairs - 45 degree angle

Any aspects of level design for the Source engine.

Diagonal Stairs - 45 degree angle

Postby Aerium on Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:54 am

Hello! I'm new to mapping and I'm trying to make 128 width, 8 height and 16 depth stairs - just normal stairs. However... I want them in a 45 degree angle and I'm having a hard time connecting it to the grid. How do I solve this? I sat in hours yesterday trying to fix this... I could use the vertex tool, but then the stairs will not be 128 width, 8 height and 16 depth. Any suggestions?
Aerium
Dumpling
Dumpling

Re: Diagonal Stairs - 45 degree angle

Postby ErikKiller on Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:46 am

Maybe you have snap to grid off? Ctrl+B is the hotkey.
Also, "normal" stairs are 8 high, 12 long, with 16 you won't get any stair texture to align up.
Images would help as well.
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Aerium on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:34 am

Thanks for the reply. I'll try taking it of grid and see if it works better and also try to give a depth of 12 units. Here's a picture so you can see what I mean. I'm trying to get some neat stairs going down there. https://www.dropbox.com/s/xjbo1buj56db0 ... s.png?dl=0
Aerium
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Aerium on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:42 am

Eventhough I take it off grid, I can't align it up...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i24nltj97l14v ... 2.png?dl=0
Aerium
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Doglike-spike on Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:53 pm

Have you tried creating the stairs in a separate Vmf. Then using it as a func_instance in your map?
That would look its dimensions down, but as to aligning it with the grid that might be difficult, but its worth a shot.
Doglike-spike

Postby ErikKiller on Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:38 pm

Oh, I see what you mean. Yes, the only way of getting it right is using instances but it'll still be a nightmare to align.
It's simpler to build the rest of the building on a 45 degree angle.
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:44 pm

Don't try to build them at a 45-degree angle. build them as though they were going to be perfectly straight with the grid. Once you have them built, link them to func_detail, and then rotate them to whatever angle you need. That should work, honestly.

The bottom line is that the corners and stuff will not be snapping to grid, and that is not necessarily the end of the world. if you are genuinely worried about it, I will make a recommendation that even I hate to hear from other people: try to incorporate the stairs as a custom model instead of brushes.

but don't let it slow you down too much. If you can't figure it out one way, can you make a ramp instead? or a displacement with rubble that ramps down?
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Aerium on Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:06 pm

Didn't work to make regular stairs, making them a func_detail and then rotate. Still doesn't align. Maybe I should just simply come up with another idea :)

Btw, when my map is ready for alpha testing for gameplay, do any of you have any suggestion on where I should post it so most people see it so I can get feedback on the map?

It's my first map, but I'm trying to make it really serious. It will take alot of time, but I think I'm dedicated enough :)

It's a CS:GO Competative map.
Aerium
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby MayheM on Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:13 pm

What Joe said is spot on. Make a large square brush and then use the clipping tool to cut the 45 degree angles. Building them and rotating them will give you headaches all day long. 45 degree angles are far easier just to clip them.

you can even use the off grid stairs as a reference for the depth needed for the tread of the stair.

Basically rotating will never keep things on grid...
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:05 pm

another thing: nobody is going to decompile your map and measure things to see if they ever were perfectly measured. just...when you rotate the correctly measured stairs, just use vertex manipulation to snap the points to the nearest grid, keeping the general shape-size similar.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Riomaki on Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:59 pm

I'd just like to add to the chorus that rotating brushes to non-90º angles is generally a bad idea. No one is going to notice if your steps are clipped or vertex manipulated to align with the grid. So the stairs are 14 wide instead of 12, big deal. :)
Riomaki
Regular
Regular

Return to Hammer Editor Help