Optomization Faces Vs Textures

Any aspects of level design for the Source engine.

Optomization Faces Vs Textures

Postby AndrewPFJR on Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:09 pm

So i started optimizing my map and after along time i started to wonder if i am doing it wrong. Is it better to have less unseen textured space and more faces, or less faces with more unseen textures. In the picture I attached I made a window that could have been 4 faces. Was it a good or bad move to split some brushes which created more faces but allowed me to make unseen faces no draw textured.

Thanks for any help
AndrewPFJR
Attachments
Capture4.PNG
(239.47 KiB) Not downloaded yet
AndrewPFJR
Dumpling
Dumpling

Re: Optomization Faces Vs Textures

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:33 am

unseen faces automatically become un-rendered when the map is compiled. think of when you fly through brushes in game using noclip. there is just nothing rendered inside those brushes, you don't see the textures inside those brushes because there is no visleaf where the player can view that texture (since it is pressed up against another solid brush at all times). you don't need to be so meticulous with breaking your wall into all those brushes just to try and paint nodraw onto the pertinent sides.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby cpl. punishment on Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:46 pm

joe_rogers_11155 wrote:unseen faces automatically become un-rendered when the map is compiled. think of when you fly through brushes in game using noclip. there is just nothing rendered inside those brushes, you don't see the textures inside those brushes because there is no visleaf where the player can view that texture (since it is pressed up against another solid brush at all times). you don't need to be so meticulous with breaking your wall into all those brushes just to try and paint nodraw onto the pertinent sides.

As I recall, any touching faces will be merged by VBSP. So, in the picture in the OP, that brush will be merged into one object. However, it's usually good to use as few brushes as possible so that you don't run into the engine's brush limit.
cpl. punishment
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby AndrewPFJR on Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:29 pm

Thanks for the answers guys. Unfortunately those were the answers I didn't want to hear as i already spent 50 hours splitting faces. So if the faces are merged during compiling, and the amount of brushes are nowhere near max, could i just leave it as is. Would there be any consequences? Thanks again for the quick and helpful responses!

AndrewPFJR
AndrewPFJR
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Major Banter on Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:09 am

Assuming you're using area portals and the suchlike correctly, the impact is absolutely negligible on modern PCs.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby AndrewPFJR on Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:53 am

Thanks for the response. At least i know not to do this in the future.
AndrewPFJR
Dumpling
Dumpling

Return to Hammer Editor Help