Modern Warfare 2 Controversy

Game discussion and other related chat.

Re: Modern Warfare 2 Controversy

Postby Zabiela on Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:50 am

NOCTVRNVS wrote:On that note, I have been searching for this "leaked footage" for hours now.. I thought the internet was supposed to be a free media.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zThypNdk ... re=related

The scene in question begins at 5:40, so skip ahead, unless you dont want to miss an epic 250mph snowmobile shootout scene. Also watch the next "part" to see the end of the mission and the even more epic TVIST.
Zabiela
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby NOCTVRNVS on Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:01 am

Zabiela wrote:
NOCTVRNVS wrote:On that note, I have been searching for this "leaked footage" for hours now.. I thought the internet was supposed to be a free media.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zThypNdk ... re=related

The scene in question begins at 5:40, so skip ahead, unless you dont want to miss an epic 250mph snowmobile shootout scene. Also watch the next "part" to see the end of the mission and the even more epic TVIST.

Thanks my friend, that is epic. Beginning totally reminds me of the beginning of GoldenEye.. Skipping through the "questionable" bit I see it's really nothing, as one should probably expect, I've done much worse in Counter-Strike. lol. Minimal spoilers for me though :-D

Thanks again.
I am a big man, and I've got a big gun
NOCTVRNVS
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby stoopdapoop on Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:45 am

Those of you who say that there's no gameplay reason to include this scene or either Fucking retarded (unlikely, but possible) Or completely missing the point, The cutscene right before adds context, and
Highlight to read:
this event is THE event that sets the conflict for the entire game, Nothing else, just this.
To say that's not important would just be plain stupid given the cinematic nature of the series.

I mean, in the first game you were the unarmed civilian that got fucking assasinated to set off events. Not to mention the scenes where the resistance fighers were being assassinated at the beginning of the game. Infinity Ward includes levels that serve no purpose other than to tell the story.

And how come nobody was so upset after the nuke that killed 30,000 troops and some staggeringly large number of civilians in the first game? the next mission was JUST crawling over your own ally's dead bodies, before dying yourself. I guess that wasn't really necessary either, according to you guys' logic.

tl;dr: Context. You're missing it. This is nothing new, people are just seeing what they want to see. Stop being girls.
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Mr-Jigsaw on Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:11 am

As it's been established, it was because in this one you are perpetrating these crimes(or at least have the ability to). And no one is saying that the scene shouldn't have been included, only that it could have been a simple cutscene, or that the player would not have a gun.
Mr-Jigsaw
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Saxon on Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:11 am

stoopdapoop wrote:Those of you who say that there's no gameplay reason to include this scene or either Fucking retarded (unlikely, but possible) Or completely missing the point, The cutscene right before adds context

They could have summarized the event briefly with 1 sentence of dialogue / newspaper headline. The only reason this was included was to deliberately generate publicity about the mod - it's a classic marketing technique.

Personally I don't care about this section either way if you can skip it. It still seems pretty pointless though. I suppose COD is all about cinematics and nothing about freeform interactive gameplay, so this more or less fits with the series ethos.
Saxon
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Aicever on Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:19 am

When I wrote that there's no reason to include the level gameplay-wise I meant exactly that. What does the player benefit from executing the civilians? What does shooting innocent bystanders room after room add to the gameplay experience?

I understand the level has significance to the story but just like Mr-Jigsaw mentioned - a cutscene would have been more than enough. Done the right way it could have worked even better. However, I strongly believe the designers' main goal was to have a shocking scene to create buzz they desired to increase sales. They knew exactly what they were doing when they decided to present this part of the story from the player's perspective. They also knew they would get away with it because they knew people would generally just shrug it off and say "it's only a game".

For me the most disturbing thing here is to see more and more games going the way of the latest Hollywood horror movies - having shocking scenes just for the sake of shock. Game designers should aim higher than that when games could potentially be so much more.
Aicever
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Spike on Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:42 pm

Hey people, I don't know if you realized that, but it's just a game.
Spike
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Armageddon on Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:58 pm

Spike wrote:Hey people, I don't know if you realized that, but it's just a game.

That's what I said! :D
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Major Banter on Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:15 pm

Shock for the sake of shock. I like that.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Zabiela on Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:20 pm

Spike wrote:Hey people, I don't know if you realized that, but it's just a game.

Yes, thats what they're arguing about.

Anything to add?
Zabiela
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby NOCTVRNVS on Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:10 am

Major Banter wrote:Shock for the sake of shock. I like that.

My thoughts exactly. If the inclusion of this mission was for NO reason other than to excercise to the fullest the developers' rights of freedom, then that's fantastic. It's awesome if they just did it to defy censorship -- perhaps it needs to be done more.
I am a big man, and I've got a big gun
NOCTVRNVS
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby RobQ on Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:44 am

Aicever wrote:When I wrote that there's no reason to include the level gameplay-wise I meant exactly that. What does the player benefit from executing the civilians? What does shooting innocent bystanders room after room add to the gameplay experience?

So you can feel responsible for the rest of the plot that unfolds from that act?

a cutscene would have been more than enough.

Well, your dead body has to be there at the end, with the explanation.
"You can never know that this statement is true"
RobQ
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby srredfire on Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:20 am

I just watched the scene on YouTube for the first time, and I have to say I thought it was pretty damn cool, and hilarious.

Just strollin' in with drum fed machine guns like "Oh sup" and then just mowing down people. It looked pretty ridiculous and funny at the same time.

I think I might download the game just for this chapter, because I want to fuck people uppppppppp.
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Zipfinator on Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:53 am

srredfire wrote:I just watched the scene on YouTube for the first time, and I have to say I thought it was pretty damn cool, and hilarious.

Just strollin' in with drum fed machine guns like "Oh sup" and then just mowing down people. It looked pretty ridiculous and funny at the same time.

I think I might download the game just for this chapter, because I want to fuck people uppppppppp.

So brutal...

I guess kids will always be kids!
|Pipe Dream|City 17: Episode 1|
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby nub on Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:28 am

ad_hominem wrote:
nub wrote:This is fucking stupid. Compare this to the GTA series, where you can go around a whole city and murder random people in grisly ways; a game series in which each installment has refined this element more and more. Nothing was done about it as far as I recall.

It only takes the right amount of bird shit from the media to cause an issue over something so insignificant.

Are you kidding? The GTA games each caused a huge amount of media hysteria, second only to the Manhunt manhunt.

I must have been living under a rock during that time then. I never saw any controversy over the games. D:
nub
Veteran
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming Chat