Modern Warfare 2 Controversy

Game discussion and other related chat.

Re: Modern Warfare 2 Controversy

Postby Mr-Jigsaw on Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:50 am

But games are not only played by experienced gamers. Based on the sales of MW2, I'd say that a large number of players are rather casual, and thus would react differently to it than the regulars.

And besides, observed violence is different than perpetuated violence, whether real or not.

And Saw looks like the dumbest franchise ever(I've never seen one)
User avatar
Mr-Jigsaw
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot
 
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:05 am
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

Re: Modern Warfare 2 Controversy

Postby srredfire on Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:31 am

So I'm confused. Does anyone here AGREE it went too far?

I mean come on, there is way worse shit than this. Like times a million. Why do people get so sensitive over stuff like this. I thought I worded my first response pretty well.

If someone goes apeshit over a game and actually goes out and kills people, I'm pretty sure it wasn't the game that made him do it. People that do those kinds of things have major problems, it isn't caused by some fucking scene in a game where people get shot up. Blaming real world violence and crime on entertainment is bullshit, and everyone knows that.

People against it are simply after money, attention, or both. If violent media really effected people so harshly, we'd be seeing a vast amount in crime and violence, especially as it becomes more mainstream and easier to access, but it's not happening. It's just another topic the media can take and warp your mind with a make a few bucks by jacking your mind up, because it gets them views and it's interesting.

Mommy will stay up if Dateline NBC nightly news has a special on "TEEN VIOLENCE AND VIDEO GAMES", despite it real or not, and in most cases, she will buy it. It's bull shit.

Seriously, who the fuck cares, if you're sensitive to the stuff, DON'T BOTHER WITH IT. That's ignorant and stupid. That's like if I didn't like carrots, I'd go around putting up news flyers and going on the news and saying, "I HATE CARROTS, FUCK CARROTS DON'T EAT THEM, THEY'RE GROSS." If you don't like violent video games, DON'T PLAY THEM. Don't relate yourself to them, don't research them, don't touch them. People like to fuck with other people's shit WAY too much these days. And people think if there is something they can pick on, it gives them the right to pick on it.

TL;DR: Shut the fuck up, who cares.

I'm sorry. I had a fucking bad night and seeing the same thread over and over again, about stupid things like "OH NO BLUD IN VIDEO GAMEZ, TIED 2 COLUMBINEZ0R?!"

Good night.
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:44 pm

Re: Modern Warfare 2 Controversy

Postby wood250 on Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:04 pm

Look what it has done to srredfire- he aint even pld the game yet and his losing the plot. :smt006
What would it do to someone on the mental edge?
wood250
Been Here A While
Been Here A While
 
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:01 am
Location: Luton UK

Re: Modern Warfare 2 Controversy

Postby Phott on Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:26 pm

srredfire wrote:So I'm confused. Does anyone here AGREE it went too far?

I mean come on, there is way worse shit than this. Like times a million. Why do people get so sensitive over stuff like this. I thought I worded my first response pretty well.

If someone goes apeshit over a game and actually goes out and kills people, I'm pretty sure it wasn't the game that made him do it. People that do those kinds of things have major problems, it isn't caused by some fucking scene in a game where people get shot up. Blaming real world violence and crime on entertainment is bullshit, and everyone knows that.

People against it are simply after money, attention, or both. If violent media really effected people so harshly, we'd be seeing a vast amount in crime and violence, especially as it becomes more mainstream and easier to access, but it's not happening. It's just another topic the media can take and warp your mind with a make a few bucks by jacking your mind up, because it gets them views and it's interesting.

Mommy will stay up if Dateline NBC nightly news has a special on "TEEN VIOLENCE AND VIDEO GAMES", despite it real or not, and in most cases, she will buy it. It's bull shit.

Seriously, who the fuck cares, if you're sensitive to the stuff, DON'T BOTHER WITH IT. That's ignorant and stupid. That's like if I didn't like carrots, I'd go around putting up news flyers and going on the news and saying, "I HATE CARROTS, FUCK CARROTS DON'T EAT THEM, THEY'RE GROSS." If you don't like violent video games, DON'T PLAY THEM. Don't relate yourself to them, don't research them, don't touch them. People like to fuck with other people's shit WAY too much these days. And people think if there is something they can pick on, it gives them the right to pick on it.

TL;DR: Shut the fuck up, who cares.

I'm sorry. I had a fucking bad night and seeing the same thread over and over again, about stupid things like "OH NO BLUD IN VIDEO GAMEZ, TIED 2 COLUMBINEZ0R?!"

Good night.

/agree
User avatar
Phott
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:34 pm

Re: Modern Warfare 2 Controversy

Postby Dionysos on Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:00 pm

srredfire wrote:...
People against it are simply after money, attention, or both. If violent media really effected people so harshly, we'd be seeing a vast amount in crime and violence, especially as it becomes more mainstream and easier to access, but it's not happening. It's just another topic the media can take and warp your mind with a make a few bucks by jacking your mind up, because it gets them views and it's interesting.
...



I so agree. Seriously, even if people don't like it they should just back off and let people do whatever they want in their virtual "life". I could repeat every point srred made or I partially made before but there's really no point reiterating.

It *is* a video game, and just because it's interactive (you press a button, something happens on screen) doesn't change the fact that it's just a video game.
The Venus Project wrote:The most valuable, untapped resource today is human ingenuity.
User avatar
Dionysos
Senior Member
Senior Member
 
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:30 am
Location: Slush

Re: Modern Warfare 2 Controversy

Postby unclep4ul on Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:51 pm

TBH you are all a bunch of arseholes for killing those innocent civvies when you can get through the mission shooting at walls!! :P
Image
User avatar
unclep4ul
Regular
Regular
 
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:18 am
Location: UK

Re: Modern Warfare 2 Controversy

Postby Spike on Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:02 pm

If tomorrow Al-Qaeda bombs an airpot then media whores are going to say it's MW2 fault. It's sad but true how many ignorant fucks are in this world
User avatar
Spike
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills
 
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:10 pm

Re: Modern Warfare 2 Controversy

Postby Zabiela on Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:33 pm

God I hate this game, but not as much as the media QQing.

But aside from that I think its just a dumb scene for a game- it just seems pointless, whats to gain from experiencing committing an act like that?
I watched the scene, the only cool thing was the modelling of the airport. Everything else is so overly-hollywoodian, makes me sick.

edit: ROFL at the end, Headquarters takes a picture of the scene of the crime, zooms in on some bullet casings, does "enhance", turns it into a 3d model, it gets uber scanned and suddenly you can see every microscopic scratch, then its scanned through a database and they find out the bullets are from brazil. FUCKING EPIC
Im thinking of buying this shit just to laugh at how rediculous it is.

Lastly:
4 dudes with guns: 329
329 policemen: 0
sick
User avatar
Zabiela
Been Here A While
Been Here A While
 
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:28 pm

Re: Modern Warfare 2 Controversy

Postby Corewarp on Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:54 pm

Zabiela wrote:God I hate this game, but not as much as the media QQing.

But aside from that I think its just a dumb scene for a game- it just seems pointless, whats to gain from experiencing committing an act like that?
I watched the scene, the only cool thing was the modelling of the airport. Everything else is so overly-hollywoodian, makes me sick.

edit: ROFL at the end, Headquarters takes a picture of the scene of the crime, zooms in on some bullet casings, does "enhance", turns it into a 3d model, it gets uber scanned and suddenly you can see every microscopic scratch, then its scanned through a database and they find out the bullets are from brazil. FUCKING EPIC
Im thinking of buying this shit just to laugh at how rediculous it is.

Lastly:
4 dudes with guns: 329
329 policemen: 0
sick


Wrong

4 Dudes with guns: 329
329 Russian SWAT-wannabes: 1

One of the Terrorist got killed by them : P
User avatar
Corewarp
Been Here A While
Been Here A While
 
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:29 pm

Re: Modern Warfare 2 Controversy

Postby Phott on Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:11 pm

Zabiela wrote:God I hate this game, but not as much as the media QQing.

But aside from that I think its just a dumb scene for a game- it just seems pointless, whats to gain from experiencing committing an act like that?
I watched the scene, the only cool thing was the modelling of the airport. Everything else is so overly-hollywoodian, makes me sick.

edit: ROFL at the end, Headquarters takes a picture of the scene of the crime, zooms in on some bullet casings, does "enhance", turns it into a 3d model, it gets uber scanned and suddenly you can see every microscopic scratch, then its scanned through a database and they find out the bullets are from brazil. FUCKING EPIC
Im thinking of buying this shit just to laugh at how rediculous it is.

Lastly:
4 dudes with guns: 329
329 policemen: 0
sick

You sound like the game is supposed to be realistic but they failed.. I'm gonna go and laugh at *insert any non-realistic game here* right now because it's unrealistic and suck bawls.
User avatar
Phott
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:34 pm

Re: Modern Warfare 2 Controversy

Postby YokaI on Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:24 pm

wood250 wrote:Look what it has done to srredfire- he aint even pld the game yet and his losing the plot. :smt006
What would it do to someone on the mental edge?



Maybe if people on the mental edge couldn't buy guns there wouldn't be a problem. I'm sick of the US pointing at arts as the source for these attacks when it's the products and weaponry they use that's to blame, and mostly the process of obtaining said weapons. Not to mention that the weaponry that Al Qaeda uses are weapons we, the united states, sold intentionally to them to help us achieve our own goals during a past conflict.

The same people who want everyone to own guns are the same people who try to blame video games as a "training tool" in the united states. If everyone in the U.S. owns a gun, I don't think video games are the ones teaching people how to use it. Maybe if we weren't so fucking terrified of everything in this country we wouldn't need to have this discussion. Video games don't lead people to school shotings, terroist attacts, etc. What leads people to mass destruction and mass killings are the social interactions that person has had. Motives are always stronger than peer and media influences. If there's a will, there's always a way.


So instead of trying to blame inanimate objects for our failings, how about we restructure ourselves socially in order to obtain a terrorist disaster free environment that everyone can enjoy.

My 2 Cents, and I don't think we need a thread for every game that has this controversy. Any game involving guns, explosions, and modern warfare will probably lead to this discussion.

Phott wrote:I'm gonna go and laugh at Super Mario World right now because it's unrealistic and suck bawls.
Last edited by YokaI on Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™
 
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:38 am

Re: Modern Warfare 2 Controversy

Postby Major Banter on Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:29 pm

You're the one commenting YokaI. And this isn't the standard controversy.

You're in an airport. An airport. Killing people. Lots and lots of people. That's the main issue. But whatever, the campaign wasn't all that great.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:52 pm
Location: UK

Re: Modern Warfare 2 Controversy

Postby YokaI on Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:33 pm

Major Banter wrote:You're the one commenting YokaI. And this isn't the standard controversy.

You're in an airport. An airport. Killing people. Lots and lots of people. That's the main issue. But whatever, the campaign wasn't all that great.



I don't care where it takes place, to say that a sequence in a story is a training tool for terrorists is like saying that Shakespeare was training citizens to commit Regicide in Macbeth. It's pointless and stupid, and most of all ignorant.
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™
 
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:38 am

Re: Modern Warfare 2 Controversy

Postby Major Banter on Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:40 pm

YokaI wrote:
Major Banter wrote:You're the one commenting YokaI. And this isn't the standard controversy.

You're in an airport. An airport. Killing people. Lots and lots of people. That's the main issue. But whatever, the campaign wasn't all that great.



I don't care where it takes place, to say that a sequence in a story is a training tool for terrorists is like saying that Shakespeare was training citizens to commit Regicide in Macbeth. It's pointless and stupid, and most of all ignorant.


I'm not saying that, It's the connotations. There's been some bad shit go down in airports. Munich, 9/11, Scotland, Cuba, Air India, Rome/Vienna, the LA gunman, and this little titbit.

On May 30, 1972 three members of the Japanese Red Army undertook a terrorist attack, popularly called the Lod Airport massacre, at the Lod Airport, now known as the Ben Gurion International Airport, in Tel Aviv. Firing indiscriminately with automatic firearms and throwing grenades, they managed to kill 24 people and injure 78 others before being neutralized (one of them through suicide). One of the three terrorists, Kozo Okamoto, survived the incident.


It's more like sticking a twig into a hornet's nest of upset about terrorism & airports than making a training program. But I digress, and really should stop arguing it - to once again reiterate, I don't have a problem with it (anymore), I just like balancing arguments a bit.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:52 pm
Location: UK

Re: Modern Warfare 2 Controversy

Postby Phott on Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:48 pm

Major Banter wrote:
YokaI wrote:
Major Banter wrote:You're the one commenting YokaI. And this isn't the standard controversy.

You're in an airport. An airport. Killing people. Lots and lots of people. That's the main issue. But whatever, the campaign wasn't all that great.



I don't care where it takes place, to say that a sequence in a story is a training tool for terrorists is like saying that Shakespeare was training citizens to commit Regicide in Macbeth. It's pointless and stupid, and most of all ignorant.


I'm not saying that, It's the connotations. There's been some bad shit go down in airports. Munich, 9/11, Scotland, Cuba, Air India, Rome/Vienna, the LA gunman, and this little titbit.

Sure, but we can all make WW2 games without anyone complaining.
User avatar
Phott
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:34 pm
PreviousNext

Return to Gaming Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users