Call of Duty: MW3

Game discussion and other related chat.

Re: Call of Duty: MW3

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:04 am

each successive COD game, whether it be IW or Treyarch, seems to become less and less coherent in terms of its SP story mode. I really enjoyed the story mode in COD4. It was a really solid game. in COD:WAW the story was also pretty coherent but it felt like a re-tread of most WW2 shooters...not much to be done there. in MW2, the story was really interesting but it was tougher to follow and a lot of jumping around between conveniently different" locations was done...its like they were trying too hard to mix it up, which is something they could have achieved if they left it to the Spec Ops mode (my favorite game mode of the whole COD franchise, which i DEARLY wish they would expand upon).

Finally, with Black Ops, the story jumps around so chaotically and with such over-importance that I quickly lost interest...plus the graphics were a downgrade thanks to their staying within the confines of the old WAW engine.

as far as MP goes, I agree with sotapoika's statements. overall i feel that it is a heavily arcade-style shooter. I have gravitated towards Battlefield because of the more tactical approach...and i think that approach is mainly due to the large maps.

Its kind of like comparing MP's average player with Half-Life's Combine soldiers. One of the statements I heard about Minerva: Metastasis is that the Combine AI was not tweaked but their Hit Points were modified so they stayed alive longer than an average Combine soldier, and they were thus able to utilize some of the more complex AI code and were thus perceived to be smarter or more unified in their attacks. COD's MP players could be more tactical if they were able to stay alive much longer, which would be enabled by playing on a much larger map. I love COD's really tight control scheme and I think BF's is kind of sluggish. If there could be a union between BF's love of very large maps and COD's tight control scheme and perk/killstreak usage, you could have a great game.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ROFLhacks on Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:30 am

I'm am completely done with COD after number 2, now its just the same game just repackaged. They all play the same and it gets extremely boring.
Fortune tellers make a killing nowadays
ROFLhacks
Regular
Regular

Postby SotaPoika on Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:40 am

joe_rogers_11155 wrote:I love COD's really tight control scheme and I think BF's is kind of sluggish. If there could be a union between BF's love of very large maps and COD's tight control scheme and perk/killstreak usage, you could have a great game.

I agree with this 100%.
* Portfolio: http://sp0n3.carbonmade.com/
* No More Room In Hell - Level Designer
* Zombie Panic! Source - Level Designer
SotaPoika
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby RefaelBA on Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:45 am

ROFLhacks wrote:I'm am completely done with COD after number 2, now its just the same game just repackaged. They all play the same and it gets extremely boring.

Exactly.
RefaelBA

Postby Gary on Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:08 am

I find it enjoyable, but I see no reason to by MW3. Maybe when it comes down in price eventually.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby LiamFarley1998 on Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:33 am

I have played cod I liked it I played mw2 so the experience was new to me. I was obsessed with destruction in games so popped forty bucks and bought red faction guerrilla and bfbc2, loved the latter and the primer was ok. Since then cod hasn't delivered any experience its boring small and basically css with ironsights. And no good gamemodes.
LiamFarley1998
Regular
Regular

Postby stoopdapoop on Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:29 am

setpieces look cool, as usual for the series.
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby trcc on Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:15 am

Guys, Caspian border is now available in the Bf3 open beta... OMG THATS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! fuck operation metro (allthough it was pretty good) Caspian border = true battlefield experience!!!
trcc
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:55 pm

@trcc, i am seriously starting to wonder about how Operation Metro will be played as a Conquest map. In Rush mode, it appears to be a fairly linear map...so do you think that is how the Conquest mode would also be played? or do you think there will suddenly be a LOT more gameplay areas available in that map when Conquest mode is activated?

@COD SP trailer: dammit dammit dammit. it looks SOOO freaking cool...but the thing here is that those are pretty much setpieces and i feel like i wont get much of a chance to take in the scenery. the thing i dont like about the COD experience is that it is so fast-paced and it lets the scenery and what i percieve to be very well-detailed environments take a back seat to the gunfighting...gunfighting which tends to get boring after a few missions. the zero-g airplane mission looks pretty neat, though.
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby darkpivot on Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:31 pm

I really want to get Modern Warfare 3 now, just for the singleplayer.
darkpivot
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:21 pm

So since I don't have the specs to warrant buying BF3 on PC, I opted to buy it on Xbox. And as far as the Xbox version goes, BF3 is NOT the COD-killer we have been waiting for. The SP campaign is SOOOO BAAAAD, and the Xbox version's servers have been particularly shitty.

The Xbox version feels like it would need a month full of patches to become decent, but the SP would still royally suck. The game looks beautiful, spectacular, unrivalled in terms of graphical quality...but that quickly fades away into a mess of shitty AI, sudden rocket deaths, push-and-shove NPC allies who take your hiding spot during a firefight and push you into the open, painfully long scripted scenes that are made worse by horrible autosave points, ETC ETC ETC. The only scenes I really enjoyed were all of the vehicle sections. Those were pretty fucking epic scenes.

I'm hoping the servers clear up their problems so I can actually play some MP.

I'm definitely looking forward to COD:MW3 now because even though their formula changes very little, they have a winning formula.
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby nub on Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:27 pm

CoD4 was the last CoD game I enjoyed (not counting CoD3 as a real game). The franchise just went down hill from there. I think the 2nd game was probably the best. It might have been WW2, but it wasn't overdone at the time and I personally found it to be a landmark title compared to all the other CoDs.

Battlefield has, in my opinion, much more enjoyable multiplayer. But even so, I don't think I'm gonna get BF3 at all. I loved BF2 when it came out, and BC2 was a lot of fun too, but both games didn't have a lasting appeal for me.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby MayheM on Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:07 pm

joe_rogers_11155 wrote:So since I don't have the specs to warrant buying BF3 on PC, I opted to buy it on Xbox. And as far as the Xbox version goes, BF3 is NOT the COD-killer we have been waiting for. The SP campaign is SOOOO BAAAAD, and the Xbox version's servers have been particularly shitty.

The Xbox version feels like it would need a month full of patches to become decent, but the SP would still royally suck. The game looks beautiful, spectacular, unrivalled in terms of graphical quality...but that quickly fades away into a mess of shitty AI, sudden rocket deaths, push-and-shove NPC allies who take your hiding spot during a firefight and push you into the open, painfully long scripted scenes that are made worse by horrible autosave points, ETC ETC ETC. The only scenes I really enjoyed were all of the vehicle sections. Those were pretty fucking epic scenes.

I'm hoping the servers clear up their problems so I can actually play some MP.

I'm definitely looking forward to COD:MW3 now because even though their formula changes very little, they have a winning formula.

Simply BF3 is not meant for consoles. In fact I feel that way about most if not all FPS games. Months ago I upgraded my system specificity so I could play this game with no issues at all. I went for total overkill and it runs like a dream on ultra settings. However, you would be surprised how the game handles with a mid range video card. I have friends playing with a GTX560 and it runs great. It has its flaws but it is still a great game. But honestly I have not even played the single player game yet. I got this almost exclusively for multiplayer. From what I hear it is obvious they put more of the thought into the multiplayer game. But the big draws to BF3 over COD is the vehicles and the real world physics (bullet drop). Plus the visuals will be hard for any game to beat. I will take a pass on and COD game mainly because the engine they use literally gives me headaches. Within 30 minutes of playing any COD game I have always gotten a splitting headache.
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:37 pm

i am definitely in support of the PC over any console. i dont have the money to invest in a strong pc, though. i've been using the same low-power laptop for the last 3 years and i am desparately waiting for the chance to upgrade.
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby trcc on Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:20 pm

joe_rogers_11155 wrote:@trcc, i am seriously starting to wonder about how Operation Metro will be played as a Conquest map. In Rush mode, it appears to be a fairly linear map...so do you think that is how the Conquest mode would also be played? or do you think there will suddenly be a LOT more gameplay areas available in that map when Conquest mode is activated?

Believe it or not, they made Operation Metro playable in conquest mode 32vs32 in the subway system section only. WTF DICE. It's by far the worst multiplayer map in the Battlefield franchise (in 32vs32 of course) You may wonder who the fuck playtested that conquest map. Same goes for Damavand Peak. AWESOME in rush mode. 2nd WORST map ever in Conquest mode. (linear map with a tunnel in the middle which make it nearly impossible to capture flags.

the map Seine is also horrible in most part. Only 2 bridges to cross over the river, sniper fest, where did all the level designers from BF2 go?

I bought this mainly for the multiplayer like Mayhem and I must say It is disappointing. I hope DICE will listen to community requests like spacing the flags in conquest (right now, the playable portion of the maps = 1/3 of the rush mode)

Graphics are amazing, animations and sound designs are awesome. But I feel like the level designers really screwed up. (or the vision they were forced to ... COD tight combat action, smaller maps, less vehicles)

Hopefully the won't completly mess up the sick BF2 maps included in the DLC.

BTW co-op missions are boring. Haven't played the single-player yet!

//end wall of text
trcc
Pheropod
Pheropod

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming Chat