Call of Duty: MW3

Game discussion and other related chat.

Re: Call of Duty: MW3

Postby Major Banter on Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:30 pm

Am I the only person who finds the step from BF2 and BF1942 into Frostbite a huge step down?

Bad Company was alright, Bad Company 2 was a good game, but neither were as awesome as 2 or 1942.

I think DICE have gotten caught up with their gimmicks, not their gameplay, and that's such a classic flaw. The game is stunning in the visual and sound department, but I find it unplayable because of so many little niggles.

Niggles, I might add, that COD has ironed out. Admittedly, to the point it's just copy and pasta, but still. Gameplay trumps technology every single day of the week.

STALKER is still one of the best game series of all time because it was technologically brilliant AND incredible fun. The reason Clear Sky was so shit is because they pushed the former too hard.

Battlefield 3 is a technical showcase. I don't want a technical showcase, I want a fucking good game.

Now where is Skyrim and MW3.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby stoopdapoop on Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:49 am

Yeah, I kinda feel that BF3 suffered a death by a thousand cuts. When I play I get hit by minor frustration after minor frustration.

I'm sure I'll get used to it though, took me a long time to get used to BC2 after playing BF2 as much as I did. (BC2 vehicles still feel like shit to me though, especially the fucking helicopters)

An the UI decisions they've made make me really upset.

I guess I'll see how I feel when I've gotten used to everything.
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:32 am

i agree 1000% with banter and stoop.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gary on Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:44 am

I'll just stick to Halo.

I honestly do like Halo better, I like how the individual weapons have more purpose and vehicle combat. And I'm not bad at MW2, it's just the gameplay feels... Idk, like all the guns are the same and if someone sees you first you are already dead. Though, I do still enjoy MW2, it's just kinda repeatItive feeling.

Sorry if this post is a bit odd or something... I'm typing on my phone laying in my bed half asleep.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Ark11 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:59 am

I honestly never really liked Call of Duty. It's claims to be realistic but it has so many stupid things like duel weild explosive arrow shooting cross bows. It's a game that can't be played properly either, all I ever see is the 'Sit in a corner with an RPG' tactic.

Personally, I like games like Fallout where you really feel like you really accomplished something by the end of it. Thats why I cannot wait for Elder Scroll Skyrim to come out!?!?!
"Drop kick me Jesus, through the goalposts of life." - Robert Bare
Ark11

Postby Smurftyours on Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:14 pm

Skyrim is gonna tank hard due to consolitis, anyways back on topic. If anything BC2 had became one of my personal favorite games to play, mainly because I would squad up from friends and fuck around in the gamerooms. As for BF3 I have had a lot of fun, but that feeling of inter squad teamwork has almost completely disappeared from the game and it took a big step towards flick shooting. Not that I have a big problem with flick shooting, but it just seems that you can't really casually play the game any longer.
jangalomph wrote:Wise words from a wise man. ^
Smurftyours

Postby Major Banter on Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:48 pm

Consolitis is just PC elitism. It's a fanboy excuse for shit games that are multiplatform.

I mean, DX:HR wasn't shit. It was absolutely brilliant. It was a good game, and good games succeed because they're good.

Consolitis is a bunch of baww teenagers angry at their 'epic series' being dumbed down. It's not exclusive to console. A brilliant example of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpigqfcvlM&feature=feedu

Shit games are shit because they're shit. End of.

/rant
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gary on Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:07 pm

I thought console Consolitis mainly referred to technical limitations and gameplay complexity being dumbed down due to a console's limitations.

For a gameplay example; a really involved RTS on a console would have to be dumbed down so console players wouldn't have too much difficulty playing with only a handheld controller(which has less buttons and accuracy then it's PC counterpart).

For a technical limitations example; Doom 3 for the xbox had a lot of the maps shortened and some parts cut out entirely. You can see these parts in the PC version, so I don't know if this is a good example of Consolitis, as it might affect all platforms.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Major Banter on Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:02 pm

There is that argument, but it's only a gamebreaker when the game is fundamentally flawed because of it on all three platforms. That very rarely happens. With RTS games developers tend to stick to PC for the reasons you've cited.

It usually affects solely the console or PC version. In your example only the Xbox version was affected for example - not exactly a big issue for everyone else.

I had always thought consolitis was the ruining of a game for all platforms involved to make allowances for one not being up to par; the 4096x4096 texture limit on RAGE for example was due to the PS3, though id are good enough that it was never noticed.

But hey, I may well be wrong I'm just using opinion here, not fact. Prove me wrong!

Also I'm massively off topic.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:08 pm

in the case of battlefield 3, it feels like the consoles are actually suffering from PC-itis, because i think the PC version would just be fucking epic. (not counting SP, where I think it is just some didn't-try-to-impress game design)
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby LiamFarley1998 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:14 pm

MW3 is going to go down in my history as the biggest fall game ever. Im a fallout new vegas fan and people say that is just fallout 3 with a new cover. It had new features a massive new world campaign and characters and the same great gameplay from the third with enhanced gun play. MW3 is basically the newest in a long line of series of shit. Cod has always in my opinion been a cross of battlefield and counter-strike with and overdone shitty weapon customization. Battlefield 3 is an amazing game, much better than bad company 2, but I have weird urges to play bfbc2 vietnam. I have played a ton of cod, and I never realized there was much different between mw1, 2, and blackops. And in reality they are the same game. Bfbc2 vietnam was radically different and I hope to say the same for back to karkand. Bf3 is a bigger world, than bc2, I hope they remake some bc2 maps for some tighter rush and conquest matches and some more fun. But hell Mw3 couldnt fail harder if it was on the gameboy.
LiamFarley1998
Regular
Regular

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:20 pm

LiamFarley1998 wrote:MW3 is going to go down in my history as the biggest fall game ever.......
...etc...
........But hell Mw3 couldnt fail harder if it was on the gameboy.

clarify this please?

My favorite version of multiplayer is COD4. They had the perfect amount of everything in COD4. My COD MP preference list from best to worst goes, COD4 > MW2 > WaW > Black Ops. Black Ops and WaW have such a strange feel about them, especially Black Ops. All the weapons in Black Ops sound so weak and puffy, as though they are airsoft guns instead of actual weapons. I thoroughly enjoyed the bolt action rifles from WaW (like the Japanese Arisaka) and sorely wish they would make a comeback in another title, but the engine does not appear to be nearly as optimized as the COD4 or MW2 engine. The bottom line for me is that Treyarch's titles just weren't up to par with Infinity Ward's titles.
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Smurftyours on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:11 pm

Major Banter wrote:There is that argument, but it's only a gamebreaker when the game is fundamentally flawed because of it on all three platforms.

I strongly believe that Skyrim has become 'fundamentally flawed' due to the amount of lmitations consoles have put on the game play.

Aren't massive topic tangents fun?
jangalomph wrote:Wise words from a wise man. ^
Smurftyours

Postby LiamFarley1998 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:38 pm

Don't take me wrong, I think cod is great, but the lack of a new innovative engine and gameplay experience is irritating. We have classics like cs 1.6 and we have css, and soon csgo but they're entirely different games. Cod is the samething but slightly different guns and maps. Mw3 is the third MW, literally its not truly a new game.
LiamFarley1998
Regular
Regular

Postby Major Banter on Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:21 pm

Smurftyours wrote:
Major Banter wrote:There is that argument, but it's only a gamebreaker when the game is fundamentally flawed because of it on all three platforms.

I strongly believe that Skyrim has become 'fundamentally flawed' due to the amount of lmitations consoles have put on the game play.

Considering the strength of Oblivion and Fallout, I'd like to see some examples. Admittedly Fallout could have been better, but both games were pretty damn good.

Basically, what limitations?
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming Chat