ORION: Dino Beatdown RELEASED On Steam!!! ($9.99)

Game discussion and other related chat.

Re: ORION: Dino Beatdown RELEASED On Steam!!! ($9.99)

Postby Chrille on Fri May 04, 2012 7:48 pm

I thought the lead developer was an asshole?

http://facepunch.com/threads/1068882

Edit: And I'm late to the party it seems.
Chrille
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby nub on Fri May 04, 2012 10:06 pm

That's...alarming.

I'll just stay out of this one.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Mr. Happy on Fri May 04, 2012 10:09 pm

Wow that's excessively bad. Not surprising though.
-You've just been happified!?
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Epifire on Fri May 04, 2012 11:07 pm

Knights wrote:Nobody cares http://www.gatheryourparty.com/articles ... -beatdown/ This games full of bugs and it's basically unplayable, do not support these idiots...

Aside from bugs that can be patched I found it to be very fun. I am probably gonna go back and start playing it again here shortly. I will criticize them heavily if they don't patch the bugs within a month, but I am not surprised out of the ones that currently exist.

I found it well worth the little eight bucks. Fixed I would rate it twice as much. A fresh perspective of survival, and it's loads of fun with good friends.
Epifire

Postby source-maps on Sat May 05, 2012 12:06 am

it sounds like a fun game, coop FPSes are really my thing
but what's that negative stuff I hear? can someone give me an objective break down of this situation
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby nub on Sat May 05, 2012 4:01 am

Apparently, the founder of Spiral Game Studios initiated a Kickstarter fund for the game to help with financing and whatnot. As soon as he managed to get $20,000 in donations, he began systematically firing random team members without any kind of warning beforehand.

I've been reading up on all sorts of shit and people are saying tons of negative shit about him, but it really sounds more like the Internet hate train is on the move.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby no00dylan on Sat May 05, 2012 4:25 am

I almost worked for him. :?
no00dylan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Epifire on Sat May 05, 2012 4:58 am

Apparently they are getting on the bugs in any case...
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2684083

Really looking forward to seeing this fixed cause it would be really fun to not have all the menu crashes, and insta-deaths.
Last edited by Epifire on Sat May 05, 2012 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Epifire

Postby Major Banter on Sat May 05, 2012 12:15 pm

A fully objective view is impossible, but I have spoken to Prassel myself. And done a lot more sleuthing than most internet hate mongrels. That doesn't make me more or less biased mind; just a bigger perspective. Whether you believe him or not is up to you, but if you don't, why do you blindly believe people posting on the internet? Just because they're the underdog? Anyway:

I was told that when the money came in, there was also a surprise firing run. That fake concept art, the duplicated vendors, some of the music and so on were the reasons people were fired. They tied 2 and 2 together, when those 2s didn't belong in the same sum, and raged about it. I understood that the animator was fired because, while talented, he was uncommunicative and temperamental. There were also rumours of leaks and all sorts of stuff. So Prassel cut them out. At the very best, it was bad timing and some of that stuff inevitably ended up at GDC. At worst, he didn't want to pay them - though money was never promised. I understood that contract and money thing to be a lesson he learned from. Whether he did or not, I don't know.

Considering the $17,000 was being poured directly into development and GDC tickets to find investors, I wouldn't call Prassel a moneygrabbing dickhead - he was using it as the Kickstarter investors were told.

However, as for the rest, I'm not sure where I stand. I've heard all of the above, but I'm not going to simply believe one party or another. All I know is that I haven't got my beta.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby nub on Sat May 05, 2012 4:38 pm

Hey man I'm not accusing him of anything. That's just what I got from a few stupid threads and articles regarding the issue. There's an astronomical amount of people condemning Prassal without knowing jack shit about the situation. I don't think he needs more.

Still, it sounds like he has valid reasons for firing them, though the timing was definitely not in his favor.

PS: Supporting the underdog comes natural to humans. However, I personally consider Prassal/Spiral Game Studios as underdogs. As far as I know, the studio is made up of people who don't have any real industry experience and only modded for Source or some other engine. There may or may not be some individuals with some industry experience, but I don't know the team.

As far as we know, the only form of financing Prassal has acquired was from the Kickstarter fund. Him and the studio sound like total underdogs to me. I don't mean any of that in a negative way, though.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Major Banter on Sat May 05, 2012 5:38 pm

Just so you know, nub, my post was directed at people generally, not you!
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby pk_hunter on Sat May 05, 2012 11:48 pm

Is my voice in this one or is it just being used in Prelude? Can anyone who owns it confirm/deny the existence of an angry Scottish commando style announcer?
Myself and 3 others won that contest he did for voice talent a year or so ago...
pk_hunter
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby nub on Sun May 06, 2012 2:45 am

Major Banter wrote:Just so you know, nub, my post was directed at people generally, not you!

Heh. I knew that. Was just following up is all.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Epifire on Sun May 06, 2012 3:28 am

Hey if you guys who have this game want to change it here is your chance in the request forum...

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2685124

I know I followed up on it. A major update is due Monday, and I for one am looking forward to it. It pays to watch the forums related to the game to see what is going on.
Epifire

Postby kirby2112 on Fri May 11, 2012 3:30 pm

Major Banter wrote:
Knights wrote:Nobody cares http://www.gatheryourparty.com/articles ... -beatdown/ This games full of bugs and it's basically unplayable, do not support these idiots...

That site makes me laugh. 'Honest game journalism', or rather, endless opinion pieces. Not one bit of objective criticism.

Furthermore, it's no different from modern media. Plenty of information tactfully left out. Odd that.

How can you objectively criticize something without a something to compare your observations too? everyone has their own opinion on the greatest games, and if there isn't a diffinitive "best game" you can't really judge things objectively. All reviews are are one persons oppinion of a games quality. Whether or not you choose to agree with them is entirely up to you. But don't claim that thier journalism is dishonest. An opinion is just that. An opinion. You can't say that's a lie. Just saying.
"I know the second I turn around, he's going to get up. He didn't do it. He didn't do it again. Maybe he's dead? OHHHHHHHHHHHSHIIIIITTTTDAMN HE'SNOTDEADFUCK"
kirby2112
Regular
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming Chat