Far Cry 3

Game discussion and other related chat.

Re: Far Cry 3

Postby DocRock on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:50 pm

srredfire wrote:I fixed your link because I'm really really nice.

Thank you kindly
DocRock
Regular
Regular

Postby nub on Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:27 pm

ThePain wrote:
nub wrote:I mean, yeah, the F-bomb got tossed around a bit in FC2, but the dialog just felt way more organic and realistic. I might actually go replay FC2 since I really liked it despite its flaws.

Yes I know in real life my friends and I never pause for breath show emotion or talk in anything but long run on sentences it makes communicating easier when you don't know where one thought ends and the other begins sometimes we feel the need to pause when we reach the end of a thought but we've worked past that as we see it is a waste of time we are very glad that farcry 2 took the time to show how real conversations work with everyone talking as quickly as possible in bland monotonous voices making some people think that the game company was renting the recording space and were on a very tight budget so they had to get all the voice overs done as quickly as possible and all in one take unlike as you can see I'm using sarcasm because FC2 had the worst voice acting in any game I have ever heard and yes I have seen those Japanese rpgs where every line is delivered in a lack luster and half-assed manor but in the case of those games they at least paused for breath I feel inclined to believe you're just being sarcastic and it's coming across so dryly it's impossible to detect through text.

Farcry 2 is one of the few games so terrible I've actually raised hell with a store manager over until I was given a full refund. Just an awful awful linear buggy half-assed piece of garbage. FC3 is amazing though.

Calm down. I was referring to the combat. Yes the scenes where you talked to people were usually shitty, but the random NPCs you encountered weren't as awkward as they are in FC3. There were times in FC2 where I was storming some random outpost and killing everyone, and one guy would be left and he would be freaking out, saying things like "Who is this guy? I've never heard of him. What the hell do I do now?" in a really frantic voice.

And it felt real. Unlike in FC3 where all you hear is "FUCK ME" every 15 seconds.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Stormy on Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:17 pm

So the whole 'wipe out everyone in an outpost, drive 100m down the road then come back and everyone has respawned' never got to you? I thought that my game was just bugged, since the whole premise of the game was 'cleaning up the wastes' I figured that when I cleaned out a place it would stay clean. That combined with the guns that jam after two mags and then break on four made combat entirely useless. Also the AI would just run straight at me and then respawn until my gun broke. Also the fire (which I though would be an integral part of the game, thanks dunia) would just stop in the middle of dry grass, or the AI would just run into it and respawn.

I found far cry 2 the equivalent of kingdom of the lost skull. Someone tried to revamp what was and still is great and failed so miserably that we just don't talk about it anymore.

On a side note, are there mutants in farcry 2 or 3? That was the whole thing about farcry. The genetically engineered mutants. Why are people making sequels to farcry with absolutely no reference to the basis of the original? Both farcry 2 and 3 could have been made on different IPs and no one would have batted an eyelid. The only reason far cry 2 made any bank at all was because of the name, just like the latest soldier of fortune.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby tripmind on Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:29 am

i just finished fc 3 yesterday.
here are my main points:
-money becomes useless after you get 1/4 through the story, because its too easy to get it
-not being able to mod your favorite gun in any way possible was lame
-clearing outposts/radio towers after a certain point was mostly a chore, at the same time the game world suddenly becomes very boring when there aren't any pirates/mercs roaming around
-the story gets pretty silly at the half way point of the game
Highlight to read:
ditching your banging hot GF to live with a bunch of samoans after all that hard work, really? and also the end

-the different sights were kind of mickey-moused. the optical sight is either too dark to see through or has a glare on it, and the blurry reticle also makes it the worst site in the game

aside from those issues i thought it was a solid sandbox game that gives you plenty of ways to tackle things.

at one point i used rocks to lure a tiger into single handedly wiping out an outpost

favorite part was the helicopter sequence
tripmind
Regular
Regular

Postby Sathor on Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:33 am

I really enjoyed the first island. On the second, first thing I did was to drive from radio tower to radio tower and activate it, and then conquering the according outpost in the radio tower region. Took me only like 2 hours. While I did most secondary missions on the first island, I just figured out it was pointless. As is collecting the stuff like the letters (at least to collect more than 6). So I ignored all that stuff on the second island, did that work, and then finished the campaign.

Without the outpost, it was really empty on the island. If I was given the choice to play it again, which I doubt I will in the next few years, I'd leave the outposts alone.
Sathor

Postby nub on Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:33 am

As far as I know, collecting the letters allows you to unlock unique weapons. If you get a certain amount of WWII letters, you unlock a tanto knife or something that replaces the machete. Then the memory cards you find at laptops will unlock all sorts of unique variants of the generic weapons. As far as I know, they're just retextured and have different stats and whatnot.

You can EASILY upgrade all of the important gear (generic ammo packs, quiver, loot rucksack, wallet) on the first island. Radio towers and a select few hunting quests (where you hunt unique animals and get their unique pelts) are all that really matter.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Sathor on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:07 pm

You unlock the Tanto after 6 letters, of which there are 20 ... so anything beyond 20 is more than pointless. The relics don't give you anything after 60 of 200. 60 gives you the achievement.
Yes, the memory cards are easy anyway, since they are just in the spawn of a base. And you can indeed get all the Path of the Hunter stuff on the first island. All the important animals are on island one, I think.
Sathor

Postby Blink on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:46 pm

When I got to the second island I immediately went on a rampage, killing everyone and capturing every outpost. After all that work I rejoined the story missions to find out you get given a disguise almost straight away. Gaaah!
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:37 pm

i haven tried far cry 3 yet, and after watching a few videos to test my interest i determined that i would only buy it on sale or something. like ive said before, i enjoyed far cry 2 (on hardest mode) because it felt pretty unforgiving. death could come in an instant, your weapons jammed frequently and wore out quickly, your vehicles broke down and had to be fixed...sure there are terrible problems with the game (insta-spawning enemies in camps that i cleared out 5 minutes ago, fire propogation was complete shit, voice acting was the worst, plot was generic and pathetic) but combat was a dangerous and gritty affair, and i felt honest anxiety when i had to drive through camps and shoot cars because i was always low on supplies.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Sathor on Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:26 pm

The Coop missions are really fun though, if you can get 1 or 2 friends to join you and play in the hardest game mode.
Sathor

Previous

Return to Gaming Chat