Far Cry 3

Game discussion and other related chat.

Far Cry 3

Postby Woe Kitten on Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:03 am

Shipped my latest game!

Just wanted to say another thank you to all the people here who gave me awesome feedback/made tutorials or generally helped me to learn my trade!

I get to live my dream and a lot of it is thanks to you guys <3

Reviews so far are looking good so I'm super happy!

We've worked hard here at Ubisoft to pay something back to the level design community by releasing an In Game Map Editor for Far Cry 3. It's no hammer but we're very proud of it. Hope some of you will give it a go and show me your creations!!!!

Here's the editor in action:
http://youtu.be/RGl5sKxjryE

If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer.

Love you lopers.

V
Woe Kitten
BioWare

Re: Far Cry 3

Postby stoopdapoop on Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:12 am

Grats man :)
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Blink on Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:24 am

Hurray! :-)
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby Armageddon on Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:26 am

Yay!
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby PaulH on Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:00 am

Good job man :) Which part of it did you work on?
- Level Designer - Crytek UK -
http://paulhaynes.carbonmade.com
PaulH
Crytek UK

Postby Armageddon on Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:03 am

Watched the video, looks like a great editor, much better than FC2. Does it allow for Singleplayer maps? I'd buy it in a second if it did, also can you place the zip-lines from the trailer in the maps?
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Jangalomph on Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:46 pm

I seriously hope FC3 is more like FC1. Other wise great job!
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby nub on Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:59 pm

Looks awesome. I enjoyed FC2 for a while, despite it being horribly repetitive. Never got good with the editor, though.

I can already picture a map I'd want to make. Giant mountain range with sniper towers and ATVs everywhere. Would be bad ass.

Anyway, good job. I had no idea you were working for Ubisoft, let alone on one of their major titles.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby MaK on Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:25 pm

Oh my god the sharks really made that video for me. I lol'd.

Great job Woe, it looks pretty awesome.
MaK

Postby kkirspel on Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:52 pm

Nice, I've been looking forward to FC3 for awhile now :)
The inspiration as to why I'm here: Adam Foster; Minerva. Great job man.
kkirspel
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby nub on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:55 pm

I know this is sort of a bump, but I figured this thread deserved it.

This is a seriously amazing game. Easily the best of the series. Far Cry 1 was a cool game for its time but it simply doesn't compare to this. I love pretty much everything about it. It's everything Far Cry 2 should have been.

There's a few minor issues I have with the game, which pretty much has to do entirely with the GUI. The tutorials that pop up throughout the early areas of the game can't be turned off in the settings, and they seriously encroach on the player's view. Not to mention you press the escape key to view them, and sometimes you want to view the main pause menu but instead it reveals some short tutorial or goes straight to some journal entry. The minimap is also pretty far up from the bottom left corner, making it obscure a decent chunk of view space. These things could very easily be rectified with a patch. Hopefully that happens.

Anyway, major props to you, Woe. You took part in the development of a great game.

PS: The game runs pretty damn good considering how outdated my components are. I had to modify an XML document to turn off SSAO.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby urbanebula on Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:22 am

I've heard so many positive things about this game. All the negative reviews complain about certain features from FC2 being stripped out and it being too "consoley."

Firstly, FC2 had very few features that I would consider carrying over. Secondly, consoles and PCs pretty much share the same game library these days. It's an unfortunate side effect of modern technology. (Remember how console players had to wait a couple of years before they could play the original Half-Life?)

Regardless, I expect I will be receiving FC3 for Christmas and when I do I am going to play the Hell out of it. :D
urbanebula

Postby nub on Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:13 pm

One thing I do wish they had kept in the game was how your gun would deteriorate over time and would start jamming frequently if it was used enough, eventually it would literally just explode in your hand and break. I loved that because it added a lot to the realism. Little things like that make me want to go back and play games.

FC2 suffered almost entirely from repetition. Secondly, the jungle areas of FC2 felt so incredibly claustrophobic that it was a gigantic pain in the ass to navigate them. Needless to say, it was still a very cool environment. I'd imagine an African jungle would make you feel claustrophobic just because of the amount of plant life encroaching on you. They at least had the desert and plains areas that were very wide open and fun to drive a buggy in.

They chose a great setting for FC3. It's still a jungle, but the fact that it's on a huge island allows them to create some insanely beautiful vistas and give the player a sense of openness. It does it far better than even Crysis. The amount of vertical space they added is pretty awesome, not to mention the more elaborate geometry, like huge cliffs and caves and waterfalls and whatnot.

They did mostly right with FC3. It's a huge step forward for the series, and it's a good game.

I'm done splurging. Sorry.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Shr3d on Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:28 pm

Far Cry 3 is amazing, the story line is solid and the character acting is amazing - Vaas is possibly one of the coolest / most insane characters I've ever seen in a video game- period! Never played Far Cry 2, but coming from playing Far Cry when it was around a tonne, this certainly is an amazing "sequel-that-is-not-a-sequel" for me.
Shr3d
Just Joined
Just Joined

Postby Sathor on Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:00 pm

The exploding guns in FC2 were silly, seriously.
A gun will be able to do between 15k and 50k rounds. They should rather put in the ability to clean a gun. If you dont, the gun might jam. After 1000 rounds. Otherwise it is bs again.

Didnt buy the game.yet.
Sathor

Next

Return to Gaming Chat