Far Cry 3

Game discussion and other related chat.

Re: Far Cry 3

Postby WhiteDevil on Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:21 pm

Pretty good game. The game area is huge and it's packed with stuff to do and collect and kill plus the main story is nice too. I like how the crafting is implemented, it really gives you a purpose why you should go hunt some animals or pick flowers, you need them to survive and I like hunting those helpless little buggers anyway :)
Jungles look pretty nice though they probably use like 15 different models for vegetation so they get a bit repetitive but there's still enough variation in places to keep you interested.

I've read lots of negative things about this game being uninteresting and repetitive but I think they expect way too much from the content of today's games. I mean does all AAA games have to be bigger than life and make you sweat and bleed and cry all the same time to make you enjoy them?

All in all; The graphics looks great. story is silly but enjoyable and fun to follow. The islands are huge and fun place to hunt, gather, kill and drive around. I've played it a lot and will play some more.

TLDR: awesome game, worth every penny
WhiteDevil
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby MELVIn on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:32 am

I honestly haven't played more than the training mission. Once I was done with that and free to do whatever I wanted, I skyrim'ed the shit out of this game and I'm now like level 1billion with tons of weapons unlocked and almost everything crafted. Like, I honestly haven't had this much fun just fooling around the place since Skyrim.
Interlopers.net steam-chat.
Come on in and ask all your level-design questions, or discuss games.
MELVIn
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Blink on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:28 pm

The good:

• Graphics are joy
  • The jungle is very immersive
  • Love the different weapons
  • Stealth is fun
  • Outposts are kept! Best thing ever
  • Freedom to just go anywhere is great, keeps me grinding for radio towers
  • One shot kills in the head, so many games neglect this basic feature

The bad

• The enemy NPCs appear to have about 6 idle speech files. Really noticeable
  • Why does a box keep appearing with a loud "Sccchtoooom" with the current objective. I KNOW ALREADY!
  • Leaving the mission area warning? Is this Battlefield?
  • The first person cutscenes with your friends are cheesy and frustrating
  • Pretty sure a tiger and bear don't take 30 rounds of bullets to die

I can't believe play testers did not report some of the above continuously! Most of the game is great but it feels like other bits were handed off to interns to do. Quite a mix.

Despite this, I can't stop playing. Much better than Far Cry 2. Good job all involved
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby Armageddon on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:16 pm

I got it yesterday. I don't like the graphics, sure they're nice but it's just Far Cry 2 except instead of tan and brown we get green and sand tan. The green gets just as monotonous as the brown. I love the cutscenes with people even if everyone gets right up in your face and it's like you're in slow motion when you turn away. But yeah I really hate the motion blur on everything and I really hate that I can't turn off SSAO. And that awful motion blur. Gah, makes it look like lag but it's not. And yeah it takes 60 bullets to kill a tiger, even if it's all in the tigers head.

But the game is really good overall, the controls are smooth, vehicles suck a lot just like Far Cry 2. I really like all the variety and how it let's you discover stuff on your own like racing to deliver medical supplies and zip lining and hang gliding that's actually good and uh, uh... Cave crawling Tomb Raider style. Stealth is nice but really hard too. Also I really hate the bad fake depth of field, it's really bad. They have graphical controls for everything but stuff like LODs, it really sucks kinda but I found a good medium of no lag with good sun beams, I love the sun beams in this game. Also I don't like the giant brown blurry mountains in the distance, they are fugly. And there is no moon, sun goes down sun comes up. Really want a moon. The skies are amazing, just like Far Cry 2 only a lot better and cooler.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Sathor on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:34 pm

I really like the COOP mode. More than the SP. I am playing with one friend on Insane, and we have a lot of fun.
What I don't like is that the SP feels a bit like a sand-box, with all those vehicles randomly spread out and the little variance the enemies and stuff offer.

And I especially dislike the fact that you can't actually TOGGLE ADS.
Sathor

Postby Armageddon on Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:30 am

Maybe that's because SP is a sandbox?
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Hollow on Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:15 am

Lol Sathor it's an open-world RPG, of course it's going to be sandbox gaming.
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby nub on Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:37 am

You can turn off SSAO. Go to Documents/My Games/Farcry 3 and open GamerProfile.XML and edit SSAOLevel so that it equals 0. That will get rid of the overkill ambient occlusion and should give you a nice FPS boost as well. By the way, is it just me, or does ambient occlusion in this game look really shitty?

Anyway, what annoys me the most (aside from the really obnoxious UI) is how much of a fucking tool the main character can be. It makes me dislike him, which in turn makes me lose interest in wanting to finish the game. It makes me wish they had gone with the silent protagonist like in FC2.

Another thing that I noticed is how cheap and repetitive the dialog is with enemies. In FC2, you'd be engaged in a fight with a few guys and the stuff they said came off as believable. But in FC3, all you hear every 15 seconds is, "FUCK ME!" Or, "YOU'RE FUCKING DEAD!"

I mean, yeah, the F-bomb got tossed around a bit in FC2, but the dialog just felt way more organic and realistic. I might actually go replay FC2 since I really liked it despite its flaws.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Armageddon on Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:15 am

Yeah I tried that nub, they fixed it and it reset itself. Makes me very unhappy. I love the bloom in the game but it turns off if I set PostFX to Low which also turns off motion blur and the crappy dof. HDAO pretty much turns off the SSAO.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Jangalomph on Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:18 pm

Highlight to read:
Silently waits for a sale to buy this game. Seems to have annoying problems.
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby stoopdapoop on Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:24 pm

http://backslashn.com/post/37712343299/ ... sion-works

And HBAO is SSAO. It's just the horizon based variant that looks noticeably better (when it doesn't overocclude like it does in FC3).
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby skoften on Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:52 pm

Blink wrote:[*] Pretty sure a tiger and bear don't take 30 rounds of bullets to die[/list]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq0rZn8HFmQ#t=33m38s

about a third. Well, really depends where you hit them. In the chest kills bears. Anyway, gameplay over fashion, right? :D
skoften
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Armageddon on Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:18 pm

So it takes three arrows to kill a tiger in the game but 30 bullets to the head point blank does nothing.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby ad_hominem on Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:28 pm

ad_hominem
Monothetic
Monothetic

Postby nub on Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:50 pm

...Is that a giant string ray?
nub