Black Mesa Source: The Pizza Run - a speedrun challenge.

Game discussion and other related chat.

Black Mesa Source: The Pizza Run - a speedrun challenge.

Postby tripmind on Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:29 am

I am sponsoring a small speedrun challenge in Black Mesa Source. You have to complete the last 4 chapters of the game as fast as you can, but under one condition: You have to carry the pizza (found in questionalbe ethics) all the way to the Xen portal with you.

What are the rules?
1. Your run begins as soon as you pick up the pizza.
2. You may not use any console cheats such as impulse 101 or noclip to complete your run.
3. You must finish the run on normal mode
4. You may play as much as you want normally before picking up the pizza to start with a larger arsenal.
Note: starting from questionalbe ethics arms you with a det-pack, grenades, 6 magnum shots, and 2 magazines of 9mm
6. Bhop scripting is allowed, Tau-jump scripting is not.
-based on the availability of bhop scripts vs tau-jumping scripts, i don't want to risk someone winning because they had access to a script that others did not. This is open for discussion before submissions start.
7. You can quicksave and quickload as much as you want, however black mesa source does not automatically continue the demo recording after loading from a save, so you must continue the .dem file sequence with a new filename appendage (for example typing "record 1_15" will result in 1_15.dem, however the next .dem file will be called 1_15_2) You may amend and refine your run in this matter, just as long as any demo starts in the same place where the last demo ends.
8. You may not use noclip to recover a lost pizza. I suggest to quicksave before attempting a jumping sequence with the pizza.
9. to finish your run you may either throw the pizza at the portal and then enter, or jump into the portal while carrying it, either is ok.

How do i submit my run?
- You must record your run either using the built in demo recording system, or with a video capture program. Then you must send me your run in one of two ways:
A) If you recorded your run with the demo recorder you may PM me a link to a dropbox (or other cloud-sharing site) file containing your demo files, there will be multiple files so please pack them into an archive. The name of the archive must be your username on this forum, and inside must be a text file containing the finish time of your run for the sake of quick record listing, the run will then be verified.

B) If you recorded your run with a video capture program you need to upload the videos to a hosting site of your choice - youtube is most preferable. This method is preferred because it will take less time to verify.

How will runs be timed?
-Loading screens will not be counted. I suggest you use a stop watch or a timer application of some sort that can be stopped and restarted with a hotkey if you decide to record your run with a video capture program. Runs recorded this way will be verified with a physical stopwatch. Otherwise you can just add the total time of all the .dem files recorded.

Leaderboards will be updated on this page every day as quick as possible. To minimize the time i spend verifying runs, only the top 5 run times will be updated here, so I suggest you return here and check the top 5 before submitting a run.

What do i WIN?
-The one with the fastest run time wins their choice of $50 USD steam credit or $50 USD amazon gift card.
This is a race, there is no prize for 2nd place.

What is the deadline?
Run submissions will start being accepted in 1 week's time - Wednesday January 10th. You will then have until Wednesday Februrary 7th 11:59PM pacific standard time to submit your final run.

How to get started:
If the game doesn't let you start from questionable ethics, simply open the console and then type "map", hit space and
then use the up arrow key to select the last level, then hit enter. Let the game load, then save the game and select start new game again to select questionable ethics.

Other notes: The pizza will not be removed from the game as long as you are holding it or are near it during a loading
screen. It will also still be in the same place if you leave it in an area and go through a loading screen.

Bugs, exploits, and glitches are all encouraged. This is supposed to be as fun as possible. Try using explosives and surfing to save time and placing the pizza ahead to prevent carrying it everywhere. The fastest run will be uploaded to youtube after the challenge has ended (if the runner didn't upload already) for everyone's enjoyment.

Prop jumping glitch is still possible apparently.

This challenge is being advertised on interlopers, speeddemoarchives forums, and black mesa source forums.

good luck, have fun
Last edited by tripmind on Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
tripmind
Regular
Regular

Re: Black Mesa Source: The Pizza Run - a speedrun challenge.

Postby srredfire on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:52 am

I hope no one enters this, not for the sake that you competition fails, because this is cool and it's a fun idea and stuff but because I'm really bad at stuff like this I like to win things and whatever and stuff.

But on the off chance I don't enter I hope it's a really good turn out!
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Mehis on Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:26 pm

inb4 SourceRuns...
Mehis
Regular
Regular

Postby tripmind on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:12 am

i didnt know that site existed
tripmind
Regular
Regular

Postby Armageddon on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:49 am

I was going to do it but hard mode is way too hard and maps take forever to load after you die...
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Epifire on Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:15 pm

This is gonna be one difficult Pizza run for who ever accepts. Wondering who is all going to try it.
Epifire

Postby tripmind on Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:25 am

ill see what the response looks like after a week or two, and possibly lower it to normal because the AI is somewhat primitive for the grunts
tripmind
Regular
Regular

Postby tripmind on Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:29 am

difficulty requirement has been lowered to normal
tripmind
Regular
Regular

Postby zombie@computer on Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:49 am

its quite the distance you need to speedrun. Only gonna attract hardcore speedrunners i guess.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Return to Gaming Chat