Remember Me

Game discussion and other related chat.

Remember Me

Postby nub on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:41 am

Hey there guys. Been trying out a lot of games lately and I decided to give this one a shot. The game came out not too long ago and I heard mixed things about it. A lot of people complain about monotony in the gameplay and about plot holes. Honestly I hear the term "plot hole" tossed around left and right when it comes to games and films so that wasn't enough to deter me from giving the game a go. I went in not expecting some kind of masterpiece, since it's a Capcom game after all, but I was definitely surprised to say the least.

I haven't beaten the game yet. In fact I think I only made it to chapter 4 before I decided to take a break (so make sure you use spoiler tags!). So far I really like it. The controls and camera leave something to be desired, but it isn't completely unbearable. If it comes down to it, I can just pull out the 360 controller and use that instead. I imagine the console versions lack these issues since the game was clearly designed with gamepads in mind.

The combat is very simple, but the feedback is really awesome. It feels like you're kicking some serious ass, and the dynamic soundtrack that develops as you perform combos goes a long way in making combat exciting. Overall though, I found the game's score to be a little odd. It's not poorly done, but it feels...really out of place to me. It's like orchestral music blended with glitch and IDM. That's a cool idea and all, but the score itself gets kind of overblown during really simple scenes.

Currently, my only serious beef with this game is that the first hour or so is WAY too tedious. The game is constantly interrupted with tutorials that literally PAUSE the game and force you to in to menus to explain the mechanics. I feel like a lot of Capcom games are notoriously annoying with their tutorials. A totally separate tutorial section that's isolated from the main story should have been made instead of having it totally ruin the pace; at the very least. Tutorials shouldn't linger in to the first whole hour of the game. That's ridiculous, especially if they're as invasive as pausing the game mid-combat. Stupid.

If the annoying tutorials weren't enough, the cut scenes are littered about. Just walking through a neutral area of the game (no combat, just exploration and general progression) can be somewhat tedious because of cut scenes. I like cut scenes, but only when they're properly timed and aren't over-used. And I really hate when games use pre-rendered videos. We have the technology for real-time cut scenes, and this game uses Unreal Engine 3 for fucks sake. It shouldn't have to use any pre-rendered shit.

I can't say a whole lot about the plot or the main character since I haven't beaten the game. I'm hoping Nilin develops well and isn't a boring heroine. So far she seems somewhat interestingm and I hope that remains the case by the end of the game. I like her visual design overall. She kind of reminds me of Joanna Dark from Perfect Dark Zero in a way.

Anyway, feel free to throw in your two cents if you've played it. Just remember to use spoiler tags when necessary.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Return to Gaming Chat