New Rig Feedback.

PC related discussion and other issues.

Re: New Rig Feedback.

Postby xoqolatl on Sat May 16, 2009 7:03 am

Hai, it's me again :)

U4IASTRM: I only have two suggestions. One: ditch XP. Seriously, people using 32-bit XP are the reason all software isn't 64-bit and much faster yet. Last 32-bit CPU was released five years ago. Why would you want a piece of 5-year old technology in your new PC?
Two: You could save lots of money by getting a lower rated PSU, something along the lines of Corsair HX520 or Enermax Modu/Pro 82+ 450-550 W. It will be enough to power your machine, while being cheaper and more efficient. 10% better efficiency saves you 10% of power bill.
xoqolatl
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby jister on Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:11 pm

hey guys, dumb fuck up as i am i spilled a botlle of beer over my laptop!!!! :cry:

got it in repair ATM, which could take a while. so since i was thinking to switch back to desktop for i while, i think this is the best moment to do it, since I'm now without PC (except for this P4 crap).

Now i see several PC's in store's that sound awesome (as ignorant as i am in this) and cheap?

for example: a acer with a high GHZ quad core (dunno the MOBO) and like 6G DDR3 RAM, i think it had like a 9series nvidia GPU, and more for like 699€?

a similar one also quad core and DDR3 ram for like 750€?

made me wonder why they're so cheap? since some duo core's with like 6G DDR2 ram cost 1000€ or more...? :?

now i wanna spend between 500 and 700 euro and I'm aiming for a rig that will drasticly decrease rendering and compiling times.
that let's me setup a Max scene with a billion poly's so to speak and still renders it out in a reasonable time.

could you give me some examples on what would be a good buy and what it takes for my pc to tread max as his sweetheart. thanks.

jister.
jister
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby jister on Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:23 pm

not much responds... anywayz, probably getting this... stil not sure about the HD5850 or a HD5870...

Link
jister
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby xoqolatl on Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:08 pm

Good choices for most part. If you plan to assemble it yourself (which I would advise to), prepare to juggle bios versions trying to get six RAM sticks running at their rated speed on that motherboard. It's a good board, just requires some attention (well, in fact, every mobo does).
xoqolatl
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby jister on Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:42 pm

xoqolatl wrote:Good choices for most part. If you plan to assemble it yourself (which I would advise to), prepare to juggle bios versions trying to get six RAM sticks running at their rated speed on that motherboard. It's a good board, just requires some attention (well, in fact, every mobo does).

what would you change?
and i plan on letting it assemble at azerty, dunno too much about juggling bios and MoBo pimping... :?

btw going for the HD5870. might as wel go all the way if I'm at it ;)
jister
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby zombie@computer on Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:27 pm

jister wrote:
xoqolatl wrote:Good choices for most part. If you plan to assemble it yourself (which I would advise to), prepare to juggle bios versions trying to get six RAM sticks running at their rated speed on that motherboard. It's a good board, just requires some attention (well, in fact, every mobo does).

what would you change?
and i plan on letting it assemble at azerty, dunno too much about juggling bios and MoBo pimping... :?

btw going for the HD5870. might as wel go all the way if I'm at it ;)

why let them have the fun of building it ?

btw, im not sure if you plan to run the entire internet from your ram, so why oh why 12 gb of ram? Im having a hard time getting past effectively using 3 gb... I just think you may be buying something you will never use...

as for the rest:
case: ok. Personally id try to find one with eSata or firewire connection at the from (next to usb). Not too fond of psu at the bottom as well, not sure why. Must me something similar to why some people hate to have their kitchen at the front of the house or something :)

also, pci-e ports on that mobo are very close to the ram slots, which may proove, err. tight, if you want to insert a videocard at the top pci-e port (which you need for crossfire). Just a thought
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby xoqolatl on Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:57 pm

zombie@computer wrote:why let them have the fun of building it ?

+1

As long as you don't swap RAM sticks with GPU plugged in, PCI-E close to DIMM slots are fine.

RAM is cheap and lots of RAM is fun. 6 GB is too little when you start doing lots of HD productivity stuff, virtual machines and other computing luxuries. Of course, I might be biased because I always like the challenge of running cheap motherboards with all memory slots populated.
xoqolatl
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby zombie@computer on Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:03 pm

xoqolatl wrote:RAM is cheap and lots of RAM is fun. 6 GB is too little when you start doing lots of HD productivity stuff, virtual machines and other computing luxuries. Of course, I might be biased because I always like the challenge of running cheap motherboards with all memory slots populated.

True, but 12gb for things like games and/or 3dmax? seems overkill to me, no matter what way you look at it
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby jister on Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:30 pm

well i have trouble working in max, zbrush, ps and more small software at the same time. and i hate the long render times, plus i tryed to render something like a 1440x4000 and it just couldn't coup...

but hey guys you give me the feeling I'm buying a monster i can't handle... :s

wouldn't know how to put it together, or things like "As long as you don't swap RAM sticks with GPU plugged in, PCI-E close to DIMM slots are fine."

i just wanna work smoothly, not even going online with that one.

this list is put together by mostly 2 guys i trust have more know how about it then me.

i know it's a bit of a waste that i don't understand more about it, but hey my time is limited and i still have to master so many more other things ;)
jister
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby zombie@computer on Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:49 pm

jister wrote:well i have trouble working in max, zbrush, ps and more small software at the same time. and i hate the long render times, plus i tryed to render something like a 1440x4000 and it just couldn't coup...

but hey guys you give me the feeling I'm buying a monster i can't handle... :s

wouldn't know how to put it together, or things like "As long as you don't swap RAM sticks with GPU plugged in, PCI-E close to DIMM slots are fine."

i just wanna work smoothly, not even going online with that one.

this list is put together by mostly 2 guys i trust have more know how about it then me.

i know it's a bit of a waste that i don't understand more about it, but hey my time is limited and i still have to master so many more other things ;)

its just my personal opinion, but if you dont get interested in the slightest in computer components you are missing out. And since you are about to spend quite a few €, i WOULD think its worth it (and i doubt you are too busy to save a couple 'o hundred € on stuff you dont need). If you don't think so, and have money to spare, then say so. "gimme the best money can buy" is a different request than "are these components good value (for money)" or something similar.

you say you want faster rendering times, but more ram doesnt change rendering times (it may enable you to render higher resolution if the lower amounts are insufficient, tbh i have no idea how much gb you need to render what you need rendering, but 12 gb is a ridiculous amount for tasks like that.
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby jister on Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:20 pm

will 12 gigs improve smooth running of lots of program's at the same time? i thought RAM is always good for every thing... you're right the least i could do is read up on the essentials, although they seem a lot and a lot of different ones...
i could start with 6gig then and see how that runs, as running a 64bit version of windows will already improve running applications simultaneously ;)
jister
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby zombie@computer on Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:39 pm

jister wrote:will 12 gigs improve smooth running of lots of program's at the same time? i thought RAM is always good for every thing... you're right the least i could do is read up on the essentials, although they seem a lot and a lot of different ones...
i could start with 6gig then and see how that runs, as running a 64bit version of windows will already improve running applications simultaneously ;)

more ram will only speed things up when less ram is not enough. if your programs combined only use 3 gigs then it doesnt matter if you have 6 or 12 or 128 gb of ram in terms of speed. However, if they need 7 gig and you have 6, a few extra gigs will speed up the processes by a lot. If you want to know if 6 gigs are enough, you should look at what the individual programs use (eg compile a scene in 3ds and then monitor the gigs it uses) and add them up.
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Dr. Delta on Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:08 pm

zombie@computer wrote:
jister wrote:will 12 gigs improve smooth running of lots of program's at the same time? i thought RAM is always good for every thing... you're right the least i could do is read up on the essentials, although they seem a lot and a lot of different ones...

more ram will only speed things up when less ram is not enough. if your programs combined only use 3 gigs then it doesnt matter if you have 6 or 12 or 128 gb of ram in terms of speed. However, if they need 7 gig and you have 6, a few extra gigs will speed up the processes by a lot. If you want to know if 6 gigs are enough, you should look at what the individual programs use (eg compile a scene in 3ds and then monitor the gigs it uses) and add them up.

I second that.
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby xoqolatl on Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:34 pm

That's not exactly true - You'll never see 4 GB of ram used when you only have 4 GB installed. Windows will use swap file so that it always has some RAM free. Add another 4 GB and you'll see it can use much more. When I had 6 GB of RAM I usually had around 60-80% used (3.6-4.9 GB); now with 12 GB it's 50-70% (6.0-9.8 GB) with similar software running. Above certain size more memory doesn't add performance, but adds functionality. I can have Photoshop, OpenOffice, Opera and video encoding running and play Left 4 Dead at the same time. Sure, you can just save all files, close all programs when you want to game, then open all programs and all files when you want to get back to work - but why would I want to sacrifice that comfort?
xoqolatl
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby zombie@computer on Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:52 pm

xoqolatl wrote:That's not exactly true - You'll never see 4 GB of ram used when you only have 4 GB installed. Windows will use swap file so that it always has some RAM free. Add another 4 GB and you'll see it can use much more. When I had 6 GB of RAM I usually had around 60-80% used (3.6-4.9 GB); now with 12 GB it's 50-70% (6.0-9.8 GB) with similar software running. Above certain size more memory doesn't add performance, but adds functionality. I can have Photoshop, OpenOffice, Opera and video encoding running and play Left 4 Dead at the same time. Sure, you can just save all files, close all programs when you want to game, then open all programs and all files when you want to get back to work - but why would I want to sacrifice that comfort?

you sure thats not just windows superfetching? Still, good as that is, more=better is only valid in a limited range.I reckon that jister has no need for 12 gb, thus im warning him not to get 12, but, perhaps, 6 or so. Saves him a good 100-150€ and if he ever wants more, its easy to add.
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware & Software