New Rig Feedback.

PC related discussion and other issues.

Re: New Rig Feedback.

Postby cz_squishy on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:57 am

Still missing a sleeved 24-pin cable because they forgot to ship it and a fan controller:
Specs:
i7-2600k @ 4.2Ghz
16GB RAM
2x7970 Ghz Editions
120GB SSD for OS
2x256GB SSDs for games
1TB HDD for media
cz_squishy
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby MaK on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:02 am

It's... beautiful...
MaK

Postby cz_squishy on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:50 am

Finished my rig: http://imgur.com/a/9oIZ4
cz_squishy
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Jangalomph on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:28 am

Im building a new rig soon and I'm gonna try to run crysis 3 on the highest settings possible.
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby DonPunch on Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:53 am

Just got a 16 gig upgrade kit (2x8gb), took out the 4 1 gb sticks, now running at 24GB.

Now lets see 3ds slow down on hipoly modeling!
DonPunch
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby nub on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:14 pm

That setup looks really awesome, Cz_Squishy. The water pipes definitely define the unique look.

Anyway, I finally began ordering parts for my next system. I started out with the power supply and RAM since the components I chose were relatively cheap. I wanted to buy the case first, but Fractal Designs discontinued the Define XL case that I had chosen. They're apparently coming out with a new and improved version in the near future. I got lucky I guess. I just hope the new case doesn't cost more, because I REALLY want it.

Anyway, I picked the Corsair CX600 for my power supply, and the Kingston HyperX Blu 8gb 1333mhz for my RAM. These RAM sticks look seriously awesome upon close inspection. I thought they had cheap plastic covering the modules, but it's really sleek, shiny metal. I'm glad I chose them, they should look really nice inside a blacked-out case.

But holy hell, whoever packaged my order was a lazy bastard. Coming from someone who used to work shipping and receiving personally, the way my stuff was packaged was simply insulting. The ram at least had decent protection since it was sitting on top of the PSU box and had the bulk of the paper stuffing on top of it, but the PSU had literally NO padding underneath it nor around it inside the cardboard box. Only at the top. The power supply itself only had thin bubble wrap around it inside the manufacturer box. The cardboard box didn't even have "fragile" or "handle with care" stickers on it. Quite frankly, I'm amazed this thing didn't get damaged on its way to my doorstep. I guess I'm fortunate that I live North Carolina, which is near one of their major distribution centers in Tennessee.

I really wish Newegg would enforce some management on how their products get shipped out. This is like the third shipment that I've received from them that was packaged poorly. I'm afraid I won't be so lucky next time and will receive a damaged product or something.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby skoften on Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:46 am

So.. I was still rocking the good ol' Intel q6600. Had it overclocked to 3ghz but nowadays wouldnt really cut it anymore. It truly was an epic processor and withstood the time really well.

My friend went away on a business trip for 6 months and I plundered his desktop (and his monitor), took his motherboard/cpu/ram out as well.

I took my zalman air cooling that I had on my q6600 and put it on his CPU ( I was lucky it fit ).

Setup atm:
i5 750 2.66 ghz x 4 running at 3.9 ghz stable ( 1.33v, 33c idle, 45-55 load)
2x2gb 1600mhz kingston hyperx
Nvidia 560 Ti twin-frozr
2x 27" Samsung monitors

The parts are 3 years old but it all runs way better than my previous setup so I'm satisfied :)
skoften
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby nub on Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:40 am

Ordered my motherboard Tuesday morning and it arrived Thursday afternoon. I chose this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813130645

Now all I need to build my new PC is the processor, aftermarket cooler, DVD/CD-RW combo drive, and case. I have these picked out:

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819116501

Cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835103065

Combo Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6827151256

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811146079

I'm still debating on the case. I definitely want a full tower that I'll be satisfied with. The Phantom looks like a really good case. I just wish I could afford the newer model with all the really cool fan controls and LED features and stuff. But I'm putting most of my budget in to my processor and graphics card. $120 is the absolute most I want to spend on a case. Unless there's some case out there that is mind blowingly awesome and is only $20-30 more.

I have to reuse my old GTS 250 until I can afford a newer card, too. Really wish this wasn't the case, but I'll have to manage. Maybe I can convince my friend to let me use one of his GTS 450s from his Alienware until I buy a new card. He never even uses SLI since all he plays is League of Legends and Guild Wars 2.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby cz_squishy on Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:17 am

@Nub I have two MSI Twin Frozr iii 6950 2GB that I'm looking to get rid of, just name a price
cz_squishy
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby nub on Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:55 am

I'm intrigued. Let's take it up via PM though.

Edit:

Finally got all my parts together and built this damn thing.

Specs:

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 200r

Power Supply: Corsair CX600

RAM: 8gb 1033 Kingston HyperX Blu

Processor: Intel Core i7 3770k Sandy Bridge at 3.5ghz (will eventually OC in the future).

Aftermarket Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

GPU: MSI Twin Frozr AMD Radeon HD6950 2gb (Thanks a bunch, Squishy!)

Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45

Reused two mechanical hard drives (160gb boot drive, 1tb data drive), so I saved some cash there.

Total: $832.86

I could have gone with a Core i5 to save some more, but I figured I'd go with the unlocked quad core i7 and overclock it later on in the year. I don't even want to try overclocking with a 600 watt power supply as I have no idea how much power it will eat up.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Epifire on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:09 pm

@ Nub smart choice on your new CPU.

Guys I had been thinking about upgrading my PC in the future on the GPU side of things and just wanted to get an opinion on three cards I got my eye on. I currently use a GTX 580 and while it is a very good card I guess I must be a power monger for speed or maybe I just never got over losing out on my 590.

So here are the three that caught my attention so far...

GTX 680
GTX 690
...or? Maybe wait for prices to go down on the new Nvidia Titan?

I know the price is insane so I am not even thinking about a Titan right now cause that would break me badly just for the sake of a single card. In the future I could see it being an option but what are your guys' views on it?
Epifire

Postby nub on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:38 am

It really depends on what you even plan on using it for. A 690 or a Titan are both completely unnecessary for high end PC gaming. All they're meant for is hardcore enthusiasts that make bank. They only manufacture 1,000 units at a time as well, so I doubt you will find a new unit anywhere for the original price. If anyone is trying to sell one they've probably jacked the price way up.

My opinion? Your GTX 580 is plenty good for gaming. Stick with that until you can get the GTX 680 for a decent price. Or hell, wait for the eventual 700 series to come out and see which way the wind blows. You don't need to blow a grand on a single component. If you're willing to spend that much money, then use it to improve multiple areas of your rig. What are your other specs?
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Epifire on Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:25 am

Well I was actually thinking on waiting for the 700 series. I guess it's just the fact that I may very well never have the chance to make these kinds of upgrades years down the road and I like being able to max everything out all the time.

I mean I think the least I have had in frames is dropping below 40-45 frames on Battlefield 3 and some times getting some stuttering on maxed out settings. Otherwise yeah the whole idea of me getting a better GPU is not discontentment to my 580 it is for the sake of better future proofing.

And... well I guess I just like being able to say I got the better kinda rig out there. Oh and here is those specs you wanted...

-i7-2600 quad core 3.40 ghz
-8Gbs RAM 1600 mhz Kingston
-Windows 7 OS
-X-FI Titanium Fatality Pro sound card
-GTX 580 (which was supposed to be a 590)

Mine was a pre-built from Falcon Northwest and I wanted it that way just for the sake of the quality and the name. You see I thought I was gonna future proof with the 590 but it went off of the production line the exact week I ordered. So it has stuck in my mind that I was ripped off and I still want my GPU upgrade. I know it's a mental thing but I like to stay on top of my game too.
Epifire

Postby nub on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:32 am

Wait...so you ordered a PC from Falcon Northwest and paid for a configuration that included a 590, and they ended up sending it to you with a 580 instead, and you still paid the price for the 590 configuration? If that's the case then I can't imagine them not fixing that for you. That had to of been at least a $500 difference!

I could understand them not being able to provide you with a 590, but surely they wouldn't force you to pay the same price. At the very least, they should have tossed another 580 in there for SLI.

Also, it's a well-known fact that two GTX 680s in SLI is cheaper and provides better performance than a single 690. The benefit of the 690 is that it consumes less power, produces less heat, and takes up half the space of two 680s. However, it's slightly throttled.

So if you're trying to get ridiculous performance and are willing to pay the price, two 680s (or wait and get two 780s) are the way to go. That way you'll save at least a few hundred bucks and get a bit more performance. Just be sure you have a monster of a power supply and a big enough case and enough airflow to cool those bastards. Liquid cooling is always an option if you're willing to pay for it and configure it. Just gotta be careful of leaks.

But, again, I still don't recommend it. Being a hardcore enthusiast is cool and all, but it's ultimately useless for gaming. Graphics in video games doesn't actually evolve as fast as the technology itself does, with the occasional exceptions like Crysis 3 (I might actually be wrong about that). Even if Nvidia released the 700 series tomorrow, you certainly would not need to go out and buy a 780 in order to stay up to date for gaming. Like I said before, your 580 is gonna run most games very well for a while. Maybe later in the year you can score a lightly used 680 for dirt cheap; like I did with my HD6950 that Squishy sold to me. Ebay is always an option, don't forget. Just make sure the seller has a lot of positive feedback and that he's not selling a refurbished unit or something. Used is different from refurbished.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Epifire on Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:07 am

Oh yeah to correct things a little I was E-mailed to choose a different GPU but I felt like I still lost out. So I wasn't overcharged. I know I can support SLI fine cause it packs a 1,000 wat power supply right now and they offered to put in two 580s at the time if I wanted that instead. Only thing is I didn't have the money at the time so I couldn't get two put in just one.

Just thinking I am gonna wait till the 700 series comes out, cause that's my best bet.
Epifire

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware & Software